PDA

View Full Version : Do you fully takedown and clean your shotgun after every use?

zauer
September 27, 2001, 05:07 PM
Hi All,

Do you fully takedown and clean your shotgun after every use? Also, the handbook that came with my Rem 870 does not describe how to push out the two pins in the receiver...how is this done? Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Guyon
September 27, 2001, 08:16 PM
You don't have to clean it after every firing, especially if it's a pump, but it's sure not a bad idea. I tend to clean every time I shoot my 870s, and I clean everything, including at least a drop or two of CLP on the trigger assembly. Others may just clean the barrel and receiver and spray out the trigger assembly every so often. Some people hardly ever clean their pumps. Different strokes for different folks.

If I know I'm not going to clean immediately, I wipe the outside down with some CLP on a rag, and run that same rag down the barrel. Actually, a little CLP left to soak makes cleaning with a bore brush much easier once I get around to it.

Trigger assembly pins? A golf tee works pretty well. If it's too fat for the smaller pin, just whittle it down a little bit. Anything softer than the metal, but stiff enough to withstand a tap, will work just fine. Those pins will loosen up a bit over time.

Kingcreek
September 27, 2001, 08:23 PM
I do a complete clean and lube only occaisionally with normal use. Always after exposure to rain, snow, or extreme dirt, dust, or grit. Always at the end of the season or before they go back into the safe. Normally, I just wipe em down with a light oil or silicon cloth, maybe bright the bore, and let them sit in my bench rack until I get around to them or use them again.
The pins have a detent and can be easily driven out with the proper size punch. I use a brass drift punch and small plastic mallet. just a tap to clear the detent then finger pull.
hope this helps.

K80Geoff
September 28, 2001, 11:54 AM
I clean everything but the trigger assembly.

I may shoot the gun the next day or put it away for months, so I put it back in the safe clean.

I clean the barrels immediately after shooting using a Tikka tool or pull through bore cleaner. I do this before I put the barrels in the case to leave the range.

Geoff Ross

Greg G
September 28, 2001, 02:00 PM
Geoff,
What type of pull through bore cleaner do you use?

Cavè Canem
September 28, 2001, 03:54 PM
I clean the barrel with a brush/swab and spray out the breech of my MB500A after each use. Squirt some oil around, wipe it down and thats about it.

K80Geoff
September 28, 2001, 04:31 PM
Greg G , now you made me dig through the garbage to find the wrapper from the last Bore Snake I bought!!!:D

The name is "Bore Snake" by Gunmate products.

Gunmate Products
PO Box 1720
Oregon City OR 97045
503 655-2837

I use them because that is what the local gun store carries:D

They work OK, good enough to clean the bore immediately after shooting . I usually run solvent through the bores when I get them home.

I also use them on my pistols, expecially my .22s.

Geoff Ross

Greg G
September 28, 2001, 06:12 PM
Geoff,
Thanks. I'll buy one and give it a try.

notbubba
September 30, 2001, 04:43 AM
No...

I'm a bad bad gun guy:( :(

Will Beararms
October 1, 2001, 10:05 AM
Wipe Downs occur after every trip using Breakfree CLP if a field strip cleaning is not performed.

My semi-auto gets field stripped and cleaned after every hunting trip. Semi's must remain clean. I have seen too many hang up. Cleaning after every trip prolongs your time before the shotgun must be sent to a manufacturer-qualified 'smith for a serious and complete take down for cleaning.

My pump gets it every other time.

RHC
October 1, 2001, 12:13 PM
I know how to clean my Ithaca 12 gauge, but not my old Remington 1100 in 20. Anyone have a link to a good guide to breaking it down and cleaning it?

Dave McC
October 1, 2001, 02:27 PM
RHC, Remington has a website, and I believe one can ask for a manual,free.