PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions...

Interlude
September 25, 2001, 01:04 AM
Hey all, I did a few seaches but didn't come up with the info I needed. I just purchased a Mossberg 590A1, and have a few questions. Please excuse the newbieness, my firearms experience thus far has been limited to pistols and .22 rifles.

1) I just received an order from Natchez, and they sent me rifled slugs instead of the regular ones I ordered. I was going to send them back, but... well, can I shoot them with this shotgun? Also, they seem to have sent me a few boxes of sabot shells by mistake (albeit also for free). Any problem shooting these?

2) What sort of sling would work with this weapon? I've seen one or two that say they work with the 590, but none that specifically mention the 590A1. In using a sling, do you give up the use of the bayonet lug?

Thanks, appreciate it :)

PreserveFreedom
September 25, 2001, 01:31 AM
You won't hurt your shotgun by firing either of those slugs in it. Does that model have a rifled barrel? If it does, and you want non-rifled slugs, I would contact Natchez and tell them about their error. They have a good reputation and are sure to send you the right stuff. If you are lucky, maybe they will let you keep the rifled ones too. ;) I am not sure about the sling though. I have always thought of that as a personal item. Kinda like some liking wooden over synthetic stocks. Happy hunting. :)

Al Thompson
September 25, 2001, 05:39 AM
Rifled slugs will probably work the best in your 590a1. There are only two types (styles) of slugs in production, the standard "rifled" slugs or sabot slugs. The sabot slugs are intended for fully rifled barrels while all others are for smooth barrels.

My results with sabot slugs in a smooth bore were pretty dismal. My best across the board results are with the K.O. (Brenneke) slugs by Kent Cartridge. If you have a Dicks close by, they stock them for $1.99 a box here..

Giz

maxinquaye
September 25, 2001, 10:57 AM
I have the same gun - no, you dont lode the use of the bayo lug with a sling. What you do need is to screw in the little nub into the bayo lug so as to have somewhere to attach the secons sling swivel. Then, get yourself 2 swivels and any old kind of sling you want...

Don't forget the bayonet for home defense :D

Interlude
September 25, 2001, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the advice all :)

It's a great weapon so far, although I haven't had the chance to head down to the range to test it out. I have enough ammo for a friggen apocoplyse stocked up, and I'm itching to put bigger holes in the Osama Bin Laden targets I made for my .22 rifle :)

On a related note, I picked up a few boxes of Federal tactical slugs from ammoman.com - they are marked Law Enforcement Only, and describe on the box something called "hydro-shock" technology that indicates a hollow-type point. What's the difference between this and a true sabot round?

Al Thompson
September 26, 2001, 07:00 AM
A sabot round has a subcaliber projectile wrapped in a plastic sleeve. The sleeve travels with the projectile down the barrel and imparts a spin by engaging the rifling. After the projo leaves the barrel, the sabot/sleeve falls off leaving the projo to travel to the target.

If you have a smooth bore, you have no need for the sabot round - as it is designed for the spin to stabize the projectile, lack of spin results in dismal accuracy.

The more common slug rounds ("rifled") are shaped like a shuttle cock, most of the weight is forward and the slug is designed for smooth bores. Accuracy if much better and the terminal effects are awsome. The Brenneke slug is pretty hard and uses a plastic tail to stabilize the slug.

HTH

Giz