PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Combo

DaHaMac
September 24, 2001, 09:27 PM
Been a while, but I am back in the market for a gun and this time it is a shotgun and my thoughts turned to TFL for information.

If I can find one in the Atl, GA area my intentions are to purchase one of the Rem 870 combos. My main focus is to obtain a 12ga that will be flexible enough to fit any demand that might come to mind. However, this gun will be primarily a hunter since Colonel Colt keeps me safe at night.

What are my TFL'ers thoughts on this particular 870? Any Known Problems or Snares I should be watching for in this model shotgun?

Thanks In Advance,

rugerfreak
September 24, 2001, 09:44 PM
I think the combos only come with the wood stocks---I prefer the plastic ones---but that's just me. Just something to think about. If you don't mind the wood--one of the combos would be a fine addition to your collection.

Guyon
September 25, 2001, 01:14 AM
I just mentioned this set up in terms of the Express Magnum combo in a previous thread here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=81970 It is a versatile system with just the 3" shell capability, but if you really need to shoot 3 1/2" shells, the Super Mag Combo should be a good set up. Does it only come with the rifled slug barrel? Keep in mind that the rifled barrels might not operate as well as a smooth bore when it comes to home defense loads. But if you're mainly using it for hunting, you'll get more range out of shooting slugs.

I don't have the short barrel yet for my Express Magnum, but I plan to order it from Cabela's in the next month. If Atlanta is anything like my neck of the woods as far as gun sales, you may find it cheaper to buy the gun and second barrel separately.

As far as stocks, I'm with rugerfreak and like the synthetic stocks on the 870 Expresses. They just seem to match the matte black finish better, but it is harder to get a sling stud in them. I found the synthetic fore end and butt stock for $30 on closeout at Wilson Combat a while back. Don't know if they have any more at that price.

Be advised that Remington is offering a $25 rebate on any Express purchased before 11/15. Details here: http://www.remington.com/promo/870rebate.htm

Problems or snares? Not to my knowledge. Some people take issue with the dimpled magazine tube (unless you're adding a mag extension, not a problem) or the P.C. locking safety (easily replaced with an old-style safety if it bothers you). Still, it's the best cheap pump gun going in my humble opinion and that of a few others here. This month's Field and Stream, in reviewing duck guns, calls the 870 "dead bang reliable." That pretty much sums it up.

Dave McC
September 25, 2001, 06:27 AM
There's the 870 series, and then there's other shotguns. No shotgun has built a rep like the 870 for reliability, durability and performance at any price.

A few caveats.....

One, Remington has been focussed more on the profit margin than quality lately.QC's dropped.

Some choke threadings were done somewhat non-concentrically, and they shoot off POA, way off at times. A bbl change is the only cure.

Warranty work and customer service is sometimes.

Some economy measures have fallen flat, like the plastic mag follower. TTBOMK, none of these have ever failed, but most folks still prefer steel.

Some PC moves, like the keyed safety and those mag dimples, are pure Guano Del Toro. These are easily rectified, but they shouldn't need rectifying.

On the positive side,there's way more happy 870 owners than not. Even the worst lemon ever to come out of Ilion is still a better shotgun than most of the competition.

And, probably more aftermarket goodies are available for the 870 than for all the other pump guns combined.This includes stocks that'll fit pixies to NFL Linemen.

The 870 is very versatile, but that may be a factor more in theory than fact.

The one drawback that 870s have for lots of people is that it's terribly hard for one shotgun to "Do it all". Example,many of us do better with a longer stock for field shooting than HD/Serious shotgunning, and longer yet for clay games. And, swapping parts back and forth depending on the activity gets old. SO, one 870 is hardly ever enough. Some of us go for several 870s,like me.
Some get an 870 and supplement it w/ specialized shotguns, like a SXS quail gun and/or a big 10 ga auto for geese. In either case, an 870 forms the foundation of a multiple use battery. And it may do it best.

One last caveat. Even if you['re stone cold deadly with Col Colt's best products, or Winchesters, USGov guns, or whatever, get some instruction along with that 870 and burn up some ammo. Expertise only comes with proper practice....

HTH.....

Kobra
September 25, 2001, 12:12 PM
Never been a big fan of 3 1/2" in a non-semi gun. I love my 870 Express - it's my "no love" gun - I get it muddy, wet, scratch it, and shot crap out of it. It's a fun gun when my buddies' bring their Golds and such to the duck blind with "gun condoms" on them to protect the wood that's better than the wood on my dining room table. Especially when the 870 keeps ticking and their's break.

DaHaMac
September 25, 2001, 06:53 PM
I love TFL and the ppl that make this place up, this is just the info I was looking to find.

You say wood? Hmmmm, unless its real crappy wood like on my SKS that may be a positive in my book. I missed that when I looked up the 870 combo, that certainly means I WILL handle this gun before I make my final decision even if it takes me longer to buy.

The PC stuff is just annoying but I am sure that the positive can be emphasized there and the negative hopefully ignored.

Cheaper going with an express and buying a 2nd barrel, now that is interesting and I will be sure to research that more.

Since the 870 is so popular can I assume that my gunsmith (an old school kinda smith) would be able to service and fix any QC issues that are lacking?

Training with a shotgun? Hmmm, that is wise advice since the only way I could hit clays is with Tactical Nukes :D I will look around and check into some sort of shotgun training.

I haven't fired the 3 1/2"'s yet, but I have shot a 10gauge and some 3" magnums out of an 870 express and quite honestly I love that love tap, but I will shoot more 2 3/4" and 3" than the big-dawgs I am sure. After all my hunting side-arm is a Ruger .454 but I have enough sense to use the milder hunting loads or load my own .45LC to meet GA minimium requirements. No need to swat a fly with a sledge-hammer.

Thanks for all the good feedback, you all have given me food for thought and I love to eat.

Guyon
September 26, 2001, 01:29 PM
Cheaper going with an express and buying a 2nd barrel, now that is interesting and I will be sure to research that more.

Try here: http://www.cabelas.com
Cabela's has far and away the cheapest prices on Remington barrels, unless you buy one used. For the Express, the 20" improved cylinder with deer rifle sights is $105. The fully rifled barrel in the same set up is $115.