PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart Bargain 1100 Rusting.

Ledbetter
September 17, 2001, 07:15 PM
Greetings,

Anybody else but me notice that the finish on the bargain synthetic stocked Remington 1100's from Wal Mart are prone to rust?

I took mine out the other day and the receiver was lightly covered with a brown rusty-looking coating. Mostly, it wiped right off with some Kroil and some elbow grease.

It's only like two months old. Is this normal? I don't have problems with my blued, park'd or stainless gun, but this finish is none of those. It's a matte black of some kind.

Regards.

Dave McC
September 17, 2001, 09:05 PM
Led, a friend left his guns with me,including an 870 Express,while he was out of the country. The 870 had a slight case of what you describe. A smith friend says it's happening with some matte finishes, but he see no rhyme nor reason to it.Some do, some do not.

Check the inside of the receiver and mag tube, and lube heavily with a good rust preventative like Moly Grease, CLP or even motor oil. Wait a coupla hours and do it again. The prob should be resolved.

taco
September 17, 2001, 09:32 PM
I have no problem with mine and I shoot it 2 or 3 times a month. After I clean it I spray a light coat of Rem Oil on the receiber and barrel.

I also have a 870 Express which I been shooting for about 5 years and no sign of rust on thar one. Again, I use Rem oil on the receiver and barrel.

Ledbetter
September 17, 2001, 10:58 PM
The (Remington) owners' manual that came with the (Remington) shotgun recommended (Remington) Rem-Oil. I've been using it as a wipe off after shooting. I don't use it as a rust preventer on any of my other guns.

Think I'll switch to CLP and see if it happens again.

Thanks for the replies and regards.

hksigwalther
September 18, 2001, 11:25 AM
I had the same problem with my 11-87. It was, however, induced by the the rifle case I put it in. The case was the black nylon type with a plastic (non-pourous) liner inside and the gun was in there for 2 or 3 months IIRC without being taken out. The other nylon gun cases I've had had the open-cell foam or cloth lining. These seem to absorb or allow any moisture to escape and prevent rust from developing. The rust was on the outside left side of the receiver. Needless to say, I now drench my guns in Beoshield before packing them away.

Poodleshooter
September 18, 2001, 01:03 PM
Hmmm. My Mossy 500's aluminum receiver doesn't seem to have any rust on it (snickers at Remington owners) :p

Dave McC
September 18, 2001, 02:08 PM
Folks, shotguns(or any guns for that matter) should NOT be stored cased. Cases inhibit air circulation, and some attract moisture.

Shotguns, ideally should be stored uncased, either horizontally or muzzle down. This keeps oil from the stock.

For long term storage, lube all surfaces, place into something like the old GI sleeve with rust inhibitors and a dissicant like silica gel, and seal shut. Check at intervals.

Gun safes should have dehumidifiers, and a few little packs of that gel sure can't hurt.

Guyon
September 19, 2001, 03:43 AM
Ledbetter,

I'd just gotten back from dove hunting this past weekend and stored my shotguns (an 870 I loaned to my cousin and the 1100 I used) without cleaning them. Your post forced me to at least wipe them down inside and out with a coat of CLP until I can get to them for a good cleaning. Really though, I haven't had any problems with either gun. I do clean after every use. I also store in a cabinet with those Inhibitor cards, and I use CLP religiously. Dave has a good point about oils draining down to the stocks in a muzzle-up position, but my stocks are synthetic, and I don't worry about this problem.

I think CLP is the ticket. It leaves behind a lubricating film unlike other lubes I've tried. The matte finish on these Remingtons is porous as you know. But if you give that gun a good soaking of CLP and let it work its way into all the little nooks and crannies, I'll bet you'll be rust free.

Check out this link:

http://www.shotgunreport.com/Articles/BreakFree.html

Dave McC
September 19, 2001, 06:44 AM
All things equal, the matte finishes like the Express should be superior on retaining oil and so on. All those little nooks and crannies should hold the lube like an English Muffin does melted butter.

I like CLP, but most any decent lube works fine if applied frequently. Others I've used include standard motor oil, Slip 2000(good stuff) GunSlick Moly grease, GI oil, Whale oil(a frequently used lube and preservative in the 19th Century), Dri-slide,Rem Oil and Hoppe's.

Some folks, especially waterfowlers, use Turtle wax on all the exterior surfaces of rough use shotguns. Put on, ignore. DO not buff, for a non glare, no shine look.

Ledbetter
September 19, 2001, 04:15 PM
for the replies. Almost good as new now. CLP

johnbt
September 19, 2001, 08:07 PM
Hello. My name is John and I over-oil everything. My 1100 is fine, but that proves nothing.

Does Turtle Wax come in a spray can? I'm lazy, I spray Sheath on my duck gun. I spray Sheath on everything, including stainless and polymer. It hasn't rained here in weeks, but everything is still green and the humidity is still 76%.

I wonder if a polymer car wax like Nu-Finish would work on guns? Consumer Reports loved it and I've had good long-term service from it on cars and boats. Just wondering, but it doesn't come in a spray anyway.

John