View Full Version : Wal-mart shotgun prices

RHC
September 17, 2001, 05:40 PM
Supposedly specials:

Daly semi-auto 12, about $300
Remington black 870, about $300
Beretta semi-auto 12, $520
single shot .410, $79

Are these good prices? I don't really need any more shotguns, but hey, it never hurts to stock up.

Dave McC
September 17, 2001, 08:57 PM
Nothing to write home about. If the 20 and 12 ga versions of that NEF are on sale also, it might be a good time to get a burying gun...

taco
September 17, 2001, 09:36 PM
The Wally World by my house also has:

Mossy 500 with 28" barrel for $219
Mossy 590 with all the goodies for $290
Remington 11-87 blued with 28" barrel for $499

Each store's sporting goods manager can also set up "manager's" special. I saw a Ruger 10/22 for $119 few weeks ago.

Cthulhu
September 19, 2001, 01:09 PM
Speaking from the perspective of a Walmart sporting goods employee, those prices seem accurate with the exception of the black syn Rem 870. Be extremely careful when looking at the firearms to make sure that the product name printed on the hang tag match the actual one in the stores log book or on the firearm box. In my store, prior to my arrival in that dept, all of our 12ga Remington 870s were priced as 870 Synthetic Express Supermagnums, regardless of their actual configuration and price. Similarly, all of the Savage 110's were considered .270 win and the same price, whether or not they were factory scoped, or, say, chambered in .300 Win Mag. Keep in mind that most Wal-Mart sporting goods employees know little about firearms, other than to "point the loud end away from your face".
If there is any doubt in your mind that the price is accurate, make the associate go and check the price based on the UPC of box that the firearm is shipped with. Walmart is required to keep all boxes and manuals, so don't let them tell you anything different.

Oh, and if you don't see what you are looking for, ask to see what firearms are listed in the firearms log. You'd be amazed at what some stores have in the back room. I found a Weatherby MK V in .340 Wby Mag that was part of some special order gone bad, as well as a Ruger PC-9, PC-40, and Stls Mini-14 that no one put out because "they didn't look like hunting rifles." Not to mention various auto-loading shotguns that were in the back room because the associates couldn't figure out how to put them together for display.

(TFL readers, keep in mind that I'm just a poor college student, and Wal-Mart is a means to an end, not a symbol of my political and economic ideology. I take every opportunity to send customers to the local gun shops, rather than having them just buy whatever shotgun we have on rollback.)

rugerfreak
September 22, 2001, 06:47 PM
Now that you got me thinking-----I just realized every shotgun I own came from Wal-Mart. All were purchased within the last 2 or 3 years.

Remington 12ga. 870 Exp Syn. for $236

Mossberg 500 Camo-Turkey 12ga. for $233

Mossberg 500 .410 for $179

And just bought today----a Charles Daly 20ga. autoloader for $299

Are these good prices?---I thought so----that's why I bought them----esp the one I got today---- $300 for an autoloader---c'mon it doesn't get any cheaper than that.

The local dealer had Daly's $10 cheaper----but had no 20ga.

Guyon
September 22, 2001, 08:40 PM
I second the recommendation to ask "what's in the back?" When Wally World had the 1100s on clearance, I called two or three stores that had none on display but one or two in the back.

I wound up buying one of those in the back. They brought out the box, and the original factory tape had never been cut. They didn't even try to assemble it.

HK1
September 23, 2001, 11:41 AM
I agree..ask whats in back.....late one night a little 5'3" red headed female fill in for the store clerk let me look in the log of what was in back....she said I have no idea about what I am doing but here is the log they showed me......I could not belive what i seen...some really neat browning rifles and shotguns for a really good price.....i did not buy any as I had no need but always ask to see that log....I do not advocate buying at walmart and always buy from my dealer here even if the price is 20bux more....but...if your on a budget i suggest you take a peek at the walmat log...and yes...we all are on a budget..my 2 cents

banjobart
September 26, 2001, 08:55 AM
I saw a Remington 1100 synthetic for sale at $369 at Wal-Mart last Sunday, $100 less than I paid for one a year ot two ago. That's a bargian!

Nightcrawler
September 26, 2001, 03:14 PM
I bought my Winchester 1300 (wood stock, blue, 22" smoothbore rifle-sighted barrel) for $199.00 from the local Wal-Mart in Marquette. They still have 'em for the same price.

Jack R-NJ
September 27, 2001, 07:29 PM
Question for Dave McC.......burying gun Dave?....are we talking water proof tube in the backyard?