PDA

View Full Version : Browning O/U questions...

Guyon
September 7, 2001, 09:03 AM
I have a Belgian Browning O/U that used to belong to my father, and I'm contemplating having some work done on it to make it an even better gun for hunting and clays.

It needs a bit of rebluing, for in a moment of ignorance several years back (before I knew about TFL), I steel wooled some very small rust spots off and took the bluing off as well. Oh, if I'd only known about Flitz back then! Recent attempts at cold bluing make it look a little better but still not as nice as I'd like.

However, the main changes I'm considering are to have the gun fitted for interchangeable chokes and custom fitted to me.

Questions follow:
Will such work increase/decrease the value of the gun?
Any tips on finding a good smith?
What sort of chokes would I want to go on it?
Should I have a decelerator pad put on?

It's a sentimental gun, and I don't want to mess it up, but for me, guns are like knives. They're tools and ought to be used. I don't just collect 'em. And I simply think this gun would be more useful with a little work done on it.

Tell me what you think.

C.R.Sam
September 7, 2001, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't mess with the chokes till you see how it patterns at different ranges and with different loads. There are varying degrees of choke built in to your barrels. It may be just fine as it is for the job you choose for it.

Generaly added chokes and stock work will decrease the value of the gun. Of course if the fit of the gun is such that you can't shoot it, then it is worthless to you as a shooter.

Shoot it a bit.....you might get lucky and find that you have a fine family "pass down the line" gun that is already a good shooter.

Remember, a change of load may completely change the charactor of a particular gun.

Enjoy.....Sam

Dave McC
September 7, 2001, 01:46 PM
(Opening up a fresh can of worms). OOooKayyyy...

First, the chances of getting your money back out of any mods and improvements if you sell the gun would be slim at best. But, this is not for sale, right?

Second, I'm not fond of owning but not shooting, any gun, including family guns. Even relics get an occasional outing.

In your shoes, I'd add a recoil pad, get the stock more/less fitting, and shoot it. Leave the chokes alone, and use this fine shotgun at whatever it does well. Most of these are choked Mod/Full, and I bet a great trap doubles gun is in there. Probably a good dove gun, too.

Sam's comment about loads bears repeating. Selection of various loads can make one shotgun and choke do the work of several.

FYI, if Pop's old Savage O/U showed up(Unlikely since it was stolen in the early 70s), I'd add a pad, make sure it was safe and tight, and use it for occasional dove and trap doubles outings. That's it.