PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Red Label

PreserveFreedom
September 7, 2001, 02:39 AM
I don't see these talked about much here. Has anyone had experience with them? They are sure good looking, but expensive. However, coming from Ruger, I am sure that they are worth every penny.

Dave McC
September 7, 2001, 03:49 AM
For reasons unknown to me, the Red Labels are more popular with hunters than target shooters. Few turn up on trap,skeet or sporting courses.

OTOH, the folks I know with them like them, and few show up for sale used.

SpazzTrap
September 7, 2001, 09:20 AM
Dave,

I had the same Q and did a search of the TFL and found 5 or six good threads on the Red Labels.

Consensus on the TFL over the last year according to those threads are that most who have them love them, those that don't like them tend to hate them. The largest complaint I have heard is that they are more muzzle heavy than most, however several posts indicate that the more recent the model, the chances are that most of the issues have been addressed.

They really appeal to me, but I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet.

-Spazz

rugerfreak
September 7, 2001, 09:42 AM
I had one----it was well made and i had no problems with it. It was just way too heavy for me--so i got rid of it. Now all my shotguns are cheap pumps----lighter--cheaper---but not as well made as my Red Label was. Seems like I have all my money tied up in rifles instead of shotguns anymore.

maxwayne
September 7, 2001, 12:04 PM
I have had one for about 10 years and it is my number one shotgun. It is a tad heavy, but so am I. I looked at a number of more expensive guns and got the Ruger because it fit me so well. I have had no problems and it will soon accompany me to South Dakota for another pheasant hunt. The only time I dont carry it is if it is raining. I highly recommend them.

Kobra
September 7, 2001, 12:43 PM
I have one and love it. I have the stainless model with the synthetic stock with a 28" barrel. It really draws attention when I shoot it..."Hey is your gun stainless? On an O/U?"... Hell just to be different I bought an extra full choke for it to do some "cheating" at informal clay shoots at friend's houses. I have had people tell me it kicked like a mule but these same people said the same thing about my Benelli SBE loaded with light clay loads...sissies.

I don't think it is too heavy and I wanted one every since I shot one in 20ga with a straight stock.

I suggest one.

hube1236
September 7, 2001, 04:16 PM
I watched a show on OLN, Gear Guide, I think. The compared the $1299 Red Label (MSRP) with the $8000+ guns and of course it failed miseably.

I have heard from target shooters that the Red Label is not popular because of the Auto-Safety. It will be the gun that goes on law-a-way after xmas.

K80Geoff
September 7, 2001, 06:04 PM
I owned a 20 GA sporting Clays model. Was a nice gun that I shot well. My main complaint with the gun is the poor stock design. Red Labels tend to be hard kickers for their size and weight.

They lock up tight and the action is solid. However the rib is not soldered on at every contact point. Only and the front and Back. About one in every three guns rattles because of this.

Many of the older guns cocked the hammers when the gun closed, so that opening the gun made some O/U experienced shooters believe the gun was "loose". Newer guns cock when opening like most O/Us. I have never seen a Red Label that wasn't tight when closed.

Had no problem selling mine when I decided to get something better. I have shot a 28 ga and almost bought one. Nice little gun that will surprise you with it's handling.

The 12 ga guns do seem clumsy for some reason, but that is just my opinion. I have noticed that a lot of Sporting Clays shooters who started out shooting Red Labels have gone to Beretta and Remington autos, mostly to reduce recoil.

At one time I would have stated that the Red Label is the best American made O/U, but of course we now have the Kolar guns ($$$$$$). It is the best of the lower end guns if you can buy one for under $1000 new.

My $.02

Geoff Ross

PreserveFreedom
September 8, 2001, 04:04 AM
I have heard from target shooters that the Red Label is not popular because of the Auto-Safety.
Is it safe to assume that an "auto-safety" engages itself after closing the action?

Dave McC
September 8, 2001, 07:09 AM
Yup, PF. As the saying goes when one tries to shoot when the safety device forbids.....

"Automatic safety, manual brain"....

K80Geoff
September 8, 2001, 07:13 AM
Yes the Red Label comes with an automatic safety that is switched on when you cock the gun. This is a desirable feature for field guns but not for clays guns. Many clays shooters have a gunsmith disconnect the auto safety.

The gent I sold my Ruger to did this himself with a dremel grinding tool! I think I would engage a gunsmith to do it on my gun however.

Geoff Ross