PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of a pump "jamming"?

ds1973
September 6, 2001, 10:58 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to shotguns and I have a new 12 gauge pump Remington 870 wingmaster LC (light contour). I put about 100 rounds through it two weeks ago, no problems. I took it home, cleaned and lubricated it that day. Today I put another 100 rounds through it shooting trap with a friend. On one of the rounds, I shot the clay and instinctively went to pump and nothing. I couldn't pull it back. The little catch on the side of the trigger gaurd wasn't down and I didn't want to force it. My friend wound up putting a little more muscle into it (Hey it wasn't his) and got it loose. He told me his fathers had that happen to him before but he didn't know why (he shoots a semi-auto).

Has anyone here ever had that happen to them? Can you think of a reason why? Is there something I may be missing when I clean and oil it? Any advice? Oh yeah, I was only shooting light loads (2.75" 7/8 ounce) so it wasn't like I was pounding the gun with 3" magnums, heck I don't think I could handle 100 rounds of that!

Fatcat
September 6, 2001, 11:01 PM
Only time that's happened to me was with some really hot 3" slugs. Action would get really hard to move..

Hmm. :confused:

PreserveFreedom
September 7, 2001, 01:42 AM
Out of curiousity, were the rounds that you were using the Winscheters with the aluminum hulls? I have had several of them swell in my chambers and stick like they were glued in. Unfortunately, it happened on an antique bolt gun and the extractor bent the shell rim instead of yanking it out when I applied added pressure. That forced me to go back to the truck and get a screwdriver to dig them out every time. :(

Dave McC
September 7, 2001, 03:46 AM
It's hard to diagnose w/o the piece in front of me, but...

Use your forward hand to pull the shotgun into your shoulder a little when you mount. This should eliminate/reduce the problem.

DAVID NANCARROW
September 7, 2001, 06:49 AM
Had it happen a long time ago with my then brand new 870 express, after getting in the middle of a covey of quail. The shotgun was brand new at the time, and it happened on the third shot. It did open after a few minutes, and after making sure it was empty, I pulled the barrel out of the action and noticed a pretty significant collection of burrs on the barrel extension lug recess. 5 minutes with a needle file to square the affected area, and I have never had a moments problem with it since. Yours may not be caused by exactly the same thing, but you might look at the locking surfaces to make sure there's everything is the way its supposed to be.

ENC
September 7, 2001, 11:24 AM
I had a similar problem the opther day when some friends and I went clay shooting. We had bought a couple of those boxes of Federal 12 guage shells from Walmart 100 rds $ bxes in a bigger box. Those shells did the same thing in four guns that day

1 brand new 870 ex super mag
1 " " Mossberg 835 utli mag
1 slightly used " " " "
1 heavily used Mossberg 500 A 20 in w/ 7 shot mag

My boss ( a gunnut ) told me it was due to shell swelling. I sent the shells Back to federal They shot the remainder of the shells and had no problems but they sent me a check for price of shells and shipping I think the lot number was T60?4

Have used those shells in past with no problems and intend to in future

evan

hksigwalther
September 7, 2001, 01:35 PM
It has occurred to me using my Mossberg 590 Mariner. It had alos occured to a co-worker friend in his Mossberg 590 (blue). In both instances, the catridges used were low brass slugs. Simply put, the bass expanded excessively and got the hull stuck in the chamber. A lot of muscle needed to eject them. Uloading the gun and hitting a long dowel inserted through the muzzle end to eject the hull probably would have been physically easier.

Dave McC
September 7, 2001, 02:01 PM
There's a clearance drill for non Flextabbed 870s that may help here, done more gently in non crises. Hold the slide release in and bang the butt against a hard surface. This should get things moving....

ENC
September 7, 2001, 03:05 PM
Dave can you explain that a bit more I'm slow

ds1973
September 7, 2001, 08:10 PM
Ah ha. Very interesting. David, I didn't notice any burs, but I was using Winchester Super Speed Game Loads that I got at Walmart. Case of ten boxes for 30 dollars. At 3 dollars a box, heck of a deal but they appear to be aluminum bases and there's some deformation. I didn't really check the others closely, but I'm betting it's the ammo. The first set of 100 I used better quality ammo, more expensive but it was brass. Funny though my friend who recommended this cheap stuff has a semi-auto and no problems. I did notice that the slide was easy to pull back after some rounds and stuck slightly requiring more effort on others. I bet it was the aluminum ammo.

It's great to have all of this info available. Thanks for the input everyone!

Anyone wanna buy 6 boxes of 12 gauge Winchester Super Speed, 2.75", 7/8 oz. # 8 shot?? :)

S.F.S
September 7, 2001, 10:36 PM
OOPS...

blades67
September 7, 2001, 11:33 PM
I've been using the same Winchester and Federal 12 gauge ammunition from Walmart (250 round case for 31$, down from 34$) for over a year in my Winchester 1300 Defender. I haven't had a single malfuction, but I credit that record up to the fact that the Winchester is a better gun, out of box and beyond, than the Remington's and Mossberg's.

buzz_knox
September 8, 2001, 10:53 AM
Yup. Mossberg 590. I was getting cocky and pumped it one handed (ala cop movies). Fired the round, and couldn't eject the empty. I think my little maneuver caused the round to get a knurl in the rim that lodged in the mechanism. Took a while to get it out.

Since it was my brother-in-law's shotgun, and he was standing right behind me (and heavily armed at the time), I was a wee bit nervous about breaking his favored toy. Not to mention, a friend of ours had a chorus of "I told you so" going strong.