PDA

View Full Version : Boise, ID area meet and Shoot

Kaylee
August 1, 2001, 01:15 AM
As mentioned on this thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75055), those of us in the Boise area are looking at having a general meet and shoot at Black's Creek Rifle Range. *

As to date -- we're looking at Saturday August 25th, 10:00 AM. If that doesn't work, please post here and we'll try to find a better time for us all. Some of the folks who want to go are churchgoers though, so it's prefered any day we pick be a Sat, not Sunday.

(of course, if we have 7th Day Adventists or Jews here, things could get pretty hairy... :) )

Hoping to see you all there!

-K

*Eric has also proposed the informal range up the road. If there's a majority for that, I'm cool with it -- personally though, I'd prefer Black's Creek cause it's easier for everyone to find each other on, and 'cause there's rangemasters making sure everybody's stopped firing when we change targets. Opinions one way or another?

Al Norris
August 1, 2001, 08:42 AM
Hmmm...don't know if I can get 2 saturdays off in a row, but I'll try.

As for the informal range, I don't have a problem with that. It's what we have over in my part of the state.

We designate someone as the rangemaster and what s/he says goes. The only thing I see is that we might need a bullhorn if we are seperated by any distance...unless the RM has a good set of lungs!!

Dave R
August 1, 2001, 10:47 AM
I'd vote for Black's Creek. The $5 is worth it for shade, measured ranges and wind socks.

'Course, if others want the informal range, I'll go along.

Thanks for putting this together, Kaylee.

Jay Baker
August 1, 2001, 02:00 PM
There's a possiblility I'll be on an elk scouting trip that weekend, with my hunting partner, but if not, I'll be there with sixguns blazin'!

Thanks for organizing the event, Kaylee.

private_idaho
August 1, 2001, 08:57 PM
I won't be in Boise permanently until Sept 3, and won't likely be able to make anything before that - but keep me on the list for future events.

Kaylee
August 1, 2001, 11:32 PM
Hello all.. I've gotten a couple more emails, and the 25th still seems about the only date so far without multiple people having.. strenuous.. conflicts, and even then we'll apparently be missing P99 and private_idaho.

SO... I suggest if this one goes well, we set up a second (or ever quarterly or so) meet and greet, so's we can include everybody. private_idaho has suggested a mailing list.. if everyone is game, I could go set up a yahoo groups thing or som'n. Opinions?

Anyhow, I've also been asked for directions to Black's Creek:
2420 E Kuna Mora Rd. (Boise)
342-9614

If you're coming from Boise, head East on the Interstate. Take exit 64, labeled Kuna.

Turn right onto Kuna-Mora road.

After a while, the road will cross a railroad track, and start to curve around to your right. Shortly, you will start to see folks shootin' on both sides of the road. That's the informal range Eric is talking about.

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong here (I come in the other way, from Kuna) -- but I believe the first house you come to on the right marks the range. There used to be a big sign you couldn't miss, now it's been moved back away from the road.

Anyhow, if you pass a covered range setup on the right, you've gone too far. If you pass the shotgun club, you've gone even farther to far.

So.. at this house, you turn right off Kuna-Mora, pass the house by, and the road starts to descend a hill behind the house. At this point you'll see the range proper laid out below you. The first firing line you pass is pistol, the second rifle. There's also a Cowboy action setup down there, but I've never been there on a cowboy day. Shall we meet at the rifle section?

Finally, I don't know what the other TFLers look like (heck, might have sat beside ya and never known it), but this is me:
http://members.toast.net/kyleeki/

My real-world name is Jennifer, and I'm hard to miss (stand 6'). Heck, I'll bring a sign or som'n for us.

Hope to see y'all soon!

-K

Dave R
August 5, 2001, 12:34 AM
Bump.

Kaylee, any idea how many are coming? I'll be there.

Kaylee
August 7, 2001, 08:16 AM
Dave --

I'm guessing round 'bouts half a dozen, between posts here and emails. That's presuming all our "probablies" make it, and there ain't anyone who's not posted here, but is planning on coming anyhow.

Here's our list of "definatelies" to "if I can swing it" folks:
Eric M
Dave R
ds1973
Jay Baker
Antipitas
Kaylee

And here's our
"Probably not this time, but interested for another time":

private_idaho
P99 (depending on Parma IDPA)

And here's our "posted here, but I've not a clue if he'll be there or not":

DCR

See ya soon --

-K

EricM
August 13, 2001, 11:22 PM
Eric has also proposed the informal range up the road. I rescind that proposal :). Too much garbage and too many people there last time I went.

Kaylee
August 14, 2001, 08:55 AM
Gotcha ;)

Okay.. I spoke with Don at Black's Creek recently.. we are good to go on the 25th. I'll post a reminder a couple days before, as well as let y'all know if anything changes down that way.

Oh.. the cleanup thing.. sounds good to me, though can we wait a couple months 'till it cools off? Sure, call me a wuss, but I'd kinda like to avoid wandering around in the desert in the summer sun.

-K

Al Norris
August 16, 2001, 12:13 AM
Dang, just got word tonight that I have to work that day. :(

Sorry folks, duty calls...again.

EricM
August 16, 2001, 02:36 AM
Any Boise area FReepers going to the Klamath rally this morning?

Kaylee
August 18, 2001, 08:22 PM
Correction to previously posted directions:

*second* house on right coming down Kuna-Mora from the Freeway.
There's a brown and white highway site telling you where to turn.

-K

PS -- missed Klamath for work Eric, sorry..
PPS -- we'll miss you Antipas! Perhaps another time, I hope?

Kaylee
August 24, 2001, 03:31 PM
Hey all - -

Just a quick reminder that the Boise area meet'n'shoot is tomorrow monring, 10 AM, Black's Creek Rifle Range. Hope to see you there!

-K

Dave R
August 25, 2001, 11:11 PM
Thanks for pulling this together, Kaylee! It was fun. I enjoyed:

-Meeting some fine folks
-Shooting some firearms for the first time
-Watching other enjoy shooting
-Nearly perfect conditions for a shoot
-Realizing that, as much fun as shootin is as a personal sport, it is even more fun as a social sport. TFL is a geat place in the virtual world, but the physical world has some advantages, too.

Can't wait for the next one.

Kaylee
August 26, 2001, 11:54 AM
Thanks Dave! I enjoyed it all -- great meeting you all, and wonderful getting a chance to try those "new toys." I especially liked that AK.. :D

If'n y'all would like to try it again in a month or so, I had an idea as I left yesterday.

If I can talk Don (the rangemaster) into it, I'd like to see if I can set up some double-drywall backstops at say 7 and 25 yards, perhaps with those milk jug targets in front. The idea being to test indoor penetration... as much conflicting info as I've heard on the subject, it would be kinda neat to try a first-hand experiment. Sure it's more to clean up afterwards, but it would be neat to see what happens.

I'll have my Mini by then, perhaps someone else could bring a shotgun, and we could try various pistols.. anyone else interested?

-K

Dave R
August 26, 2001, 08:16 PM
Yup. I'm interested.

Jay Baker
August 27, 2001, 09:22 PM
KayLee, sorry I had to miss the meet, but as I said before, my hunting buds and I had an elk/deer scouting trip for that weekend, and they couldn't change so neither could I.

Glad to hear everyone had a good time, and if you do it again, I'll surely try to be there. I do know that I have one more scouting trip, which will be in Sept., but we haven't set a weekend, yet.

The elk season where I'm going opens Oct. 15th, and we'll be heading for camp on the 12th.

Best of luck to all. J.B.