PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 70?

Karsten
June 17, 2001, 07:35 PM
Well, guys yet another rifle surfaces out of my late fathers cubby holes. I new he had a .308 but it has been years. It is a Winchester Model 70 Featherwieght in .308 SS#247525
Could this be the old Pre 1964 action that was supposed to be so great.
I just sold a Model 70 Sporter Varmint in .308 that was the newer action and I am still kicking myself. Soon I will get a Stealth to make up from the error in my ways :rolleyes:

Wait until I ask about the Mossy bolt action 20 gauge :confused: Now that is a strange critter.

Thanks

Karsten

James K
June 17, 2001, 08:28 PM
Yes, that is the old action, made in 1953. Price wise, the .308 is the most common caliber in the Featherweight and brings only about $750 even in brand new condition. But they are fine rifles and great for hunting.

Jim

Karsten
June 17, 2001, 09:21 PM
Thanks Jim, I guess if I wanted it would be a good place to start building a Precission rifle but I think I will just keep it and clean it up for memories. Heck, I am sure the last time it was cleaned was by me, 30 years ago.
The Stealth will out shoot me forever so that will be the next investment.

Thanks Again.

Karsten

James K
June 18, 2001, 05:32 PM
I think I would shoot that Model 70 with some good ammo before talking about getting a precision rifle. Some of those Featherweights were just that.

Jim