PDA

View Full Version : Melons and Citrus

deanf
June 1, 2001, 11:57 PM
Make fun targets. Watermelons explode and fly 30 feet in the air when hit from 100 yards with .300 Win Mag 180gr Nosler Partitions. Same from .44 Rem Mag 300gr JHPs. Grapefruits and apples, same result.

Did anyone ever see The Day of The Jackal (http://www.destgulch.com/movies/jackal/)? (The original and best version?) Same kind of thing. Oh, but de Gaulle is already dead. I guess all that practice yesterday was for nothing.

CD1
June 2, 2001, 10:00 AM
deanf,

I shot a watermelon with my 7 MM Mag last year and I almost didn't quit laughing. It absolutely freakin blew apart. I shot it at about 40 yards. An annual fruit shoot is a requirement.

fmjcafe
June 2, 2001, 05:09 PM
Canned goods are fun too.A group of us get together once a year for a fun shoot and try a variety of interactive targets.Shopping for the trip is half the fun.I was getting more then a few strange looks as I was walking down the canned vegetable isle at the local supermarket giggling at the thought of how the various offerings would react to being shot.Here`s a can of stewed whole tomatoes.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=87257&a=12665456&f=

Steve Smith
June 3, 2001, 08:20 PM
Ice blocks are great!

pax
June 3, 2001, 11:21 PM
This thread reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask here.

I'm planning on taking my boys -- ages 11, 9, 7, 6, and 5 -- down to the range for a gun safety day sometime in the next couple of weeks. While we're there I'd like to shoot a melon as a dramatic demonstration of the need to follow the safety rules. In fact, I'd thought of sketching a face on the melon and putting a baseball cap on it, to give the maximum emotional impact to the safety lecture to follow the demonstration.

Now the question: what handgun caliber and ammo should I use for best results? Available options are 9mm, .45, .357sig, .44mag. Do I need to use Hydrashoks? What kind of melon would work best for what I have in mind?

I really don't want the demonstration to fizzle. Any suggestions you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

pax

pax
June 5, 2001, 09:04 PM
*sigh*

Just call me Threadslayer.

pax

fmjcafe
June 6, 2001, 06:10 AM
Sorry,pax...
I`m by no means an authority on fruit shooting but I would think the .44 mag or the .45 would provide the most dramatic example with the edge going to the .44 due to greater velocity.

Hal
June 6, 2001, 04:16 PM
Pax,
Ditto the .44mag or any other high velocity round. I havent shot much fruit, but I have seen the difference (dramatic) that 30.30 vs a .44mag makes on an empty beer can. The .44mag threw the can about 10 feet in the air. the 30/30 threw the empty can about 50 feet in the air and completely flattened it :)

Betty
June 6, 2001, 05:16 PM
Has anyone shot at anything pressurized, like a spray paint can?

pax
June 6, 2001, 07:06 PM
Thanks, guys. :) That gives me something to go by, anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out!

pax

George Hill
June 6, 2001, 07:10 PM
CO2 12 Gram cylinders with .17 remington and .22 Hornet.

Challenging and Rewarding.

Hal
June 6, 2001, 07:33 PM
---Yes. Not what you would expect. Instead of a satisfying explosion it's more of a woooomph and a cloud. An empty actually provides a better show since it flattens out and goes straight up in the air.

1S1K
June 6, 2001, 11:38 PM
pax

If you shoot at spary cans make sure they are not flamable. There is enought heat from the inpact to start a fire. Use some sort of bath or glass cleaner.

Bill