PDA

View Full Version : What is a -0.05 choke for?

pepemarine
May 30, 2001, 12:09 AM
I have seen advertised some chokes that are 0.05" inner dia. bigger than the cylindrical chokes.

are this spreader chokes?
what are they for?

Dave McC
May 30, 2001, 04:12 AM
Skeet....

Most shots in skeet are within 25 yards, and oft much closer. I'm no skeet hotshot, but if I shot more of it than I do, I'd get a cylinder or skeet choke tube.

Be advised there's two Skeet Chokes,in a rather obsolescent terminology, both very open. Skeet one is what we're talking about here. Skeet Two, is tighter than IC, looser than Modified. Sometimes wizened old shooters refer to these as Skeet In, and Skeet Out.

HTH....

K80Geoff
May 30, 2001, 05:53 AM
Negative chokes, or "blunderbuss" chokes are wider than the barrel diameter. This is supposed to throw wider patterns in a short distance for skeet, where ranges are close.

Another version is the "Tula" choke that has a chamber wider than the bore and then narrows to bore diameter at the muzzle. This is supposed to throw wide patterns which are desired in Skeet.

Since Olympic skeet is shot with the gun butt started at the hip (dismounted) and has a variable delay to the release of the bird, which are faster and harder than their American counterparts, every advantage the shooter can gain from tweaking the chokes has been tried. The object is to get the widest consistent pattern without any holes that would allow a bird to slip through.

Geoff Ross