PDA

View Full Version : Stevens, Higgins pumps?

Oleg Volk
March 8, 2001, 09:11 PM
How suitable would such a ($70 used) gun be for trap shooting? Are they likely to be poorly built or can I save some $$ and not go with a Winchester 12 or Ithaca 37?

And speaking of Ithacas, can they take extended magazines?

Dave McC
March 9, 2001, 07:16 AM
Trap guns go through thousands of rounds each year, few guns stand up to that sort of use. Some of the Higgins guns were made by High Standard, who made fine target pistols and lousy shotguns. Had one,briefly.

I've seen few, if any, Higgins or Stevens shotgun on a trap line, tho I've seen some in the hunting field that their owners loved.

The Ithaca is a fine upland gun, but a trifle light for trap. The Model 12 is rapidly assuming collector status. Reasonable entry level guns for 16 yard trap would include Remington 870s and their various newer semis, the Beretta gas guns from the 303 on up, and very used SBTs from Browning and Beretta, tho they're pricey.

Or, use the shotgun you have, have fun and accept the fact that it's not perfect for the job...

Dave McC
March 9, 2001, 07:18 AM
Ooops, didn't answer your questions fully.

Ithacas do not take extensions.

And, for $70, you could buy the thing, shoot it until it breaks, and sell it to some liberal politician for $50 at the next gun turn in program in your area.

Oleg Volk
March 9, 2001, 01:27 PM
I am considering a nice 24" Ithaca 37 with a muzzle brake and an adjustable choke for $14 or a slightly heavier Stevens with a muzzle brake, Polychoke for $70. The latter might be more comfortable but I am concerned about getting junk.

Other options include a nice early 1920s Winchester 12 riot gun but I am concerned about getting beaten up by recoil (and it is $240). I've pretty much decided that I'd take a Garand for fighting over any shotgun but I still like the look and feel of the riotgun configuration.

PS: Can the shell lifter of a 20ga Winchester 1300 be slotted to make getting at short-shucked shells easier?

PPS: Do extended magazines for those old Stevens/Sears/etc. pumps exist? I would find it amusing to create a "Sears ISPC Practical Tactical Special" on a budget.

mikey357
March 10, 2001, 12:52 AM
What would wear out? Well, the extractor and/or extractor spring would be on my list of "Spare parts to have around", as would the firing pin/firing pin spring...A spare bolt, preferably "complete", would be mighty comforting to have, too...as would a set of all the little pins and screws...never can tell exactly what's going to break first on these older, "well used" guns....mikey357

Dave McC
March 10, 2001, 09:37 AM
I guess that's a typo, a Mdel 37 for $14(G). Even at $140, it's a bargain on a very durable and reliable classic. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

I really like that project, Oleg.

K80Geoff
March 10, 2001, 10:40 AM
Brownells www.brownells.com lists parts for the Ithaca 37 in their catalog.

You do have a Brownells catalog? don't you. If not ask them for one. If you have a firearms related business they will send it to you free, if not the $10 charge will be refunded with your first order. They have all kinds of neat stuff besides the factory parts.

Geoff Ross