PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest TFLers ...

pax
March 8, 2001, 01:23 AM
Is anyone interested in a get together in the Portland or Seattle area sometime this spring or summer?

pax

jhisaac
March 8, 2001, 03:43 PM
I would be interested in a Portland area shoot.
Jason

acp Mikey
March 8, 2001, 08:33 PM
Another vote for a Portland get together!

Marty Hayes
March 8, 2001, 09:18 PM
Hey, I would offer my range for a get together. In fact, we have some matches already scheduled, so it would be easy to schedule a little eyeball session.

Range is located halfway between Seattle and Portland, in the little berg of Onalaska, WA

Marty Hayes
Firearms Academy of Seattle

tstr
March 9, 2001, 12:22 AM
Count me in.

I swung by Marty's shooting range awhile back. Looks like a great range. Be a good place to get together.

tstr

tstr
March 11, 2001, 12:47 AM
btt

OF
March 11, 2001, 03:06 AM
I'd be there.

- gabe

John Marshall
March 11, 2001, 10:50 PM
I could get up there from my little hidey-hole on the coast.

Hey, Marty, do you think you could stop being an instructor at a TFL shoot? Or would you feel compelled to offer advice gratis? :D

nwgunman
March 11, 2001, 11:16 PM
Sounds good....hopefully a weekend?

pax
March 13, 2001, 01:28 AM
Sometime in May? What's everyone think?

Weekend sounds good -- but is Marty's range (http://www.firearmsacademy.com) available on the weekends? Seems to me I recall he's got a few classes going on ...

pax

Being rich is having money; being wealthy is having time. -- Margaret Bonnano

Marty Hayes
March 13, 2001, 09:28 AM
Here's what I would recommend.

We have a 3-gun match scheduled for May 5th, and a Handgun Tactical Match scheduled for May 6th. Either or both, they are seperate matches. Decide on which one to come to, and spend the day squadded together. The good news with this idea is that you won't have to do the work in setting up the match.

I am not able to set aside a seperate weekend for a TFL get-together, all our weekends are booked until Dec.

AND, I have no trouble not being an instructor for a day. Usually when we are having a match, and a shooter is doing particulary poor, I might say something like the following:

Marty: Want a little advice?

Shooter: Sure...

Marty: Take a class...

SKN
March 13, 2001, 11:25 AM
Marty,

Match fees and pre-reqs? Ammo requirements?

Marty Hayes
March 14, 2001, 09:20 AM
Match fee is $15 each day, or $25 for both days.

200 rounds handgun ammohsould get you through both days, 100 rounds rifle ammo, some birdshot and/or buck shot and a few slugs.

No pre-reqs, just a good working knowledge of guns and gun safety.

John Marshall
March 15, 2001, 12:01 AM
That sounds d*mned reasonable to me, guys. What do y'all think?

BTW Marty, that was exactly the kind of "advice" I would have been looking for. :)

One more thing. What kind of "experts" would we be shooting against/with? One always needs to know the capabilities of the enem.. uh, competition.

pax
March 15, 2001, 12:39 AM
Sounds great!

What's everyone think -- Saturday or Sunday? Or both?

Marty, I've never been involved in a match shoot. What's a "three gun match"? What's involved in that? And is a Handgun Tactical match an IPSC type shoot or what?

pax

SKN
March 15, 2001, 02:32 AM
Start time and, if there is one, the reg procedure please and I'll meet you there for one or both days.

BTW, Aussie TFLer BruceFromWestOz is due to visit Oregon (Salem) around that time and I believe he was interested in getting together so hopefully, this will coincide with his schedule.

Marty Hayes
March 15, 2001, 11:53 AM
The following is the match announcement that I put out a few weeks ago about the years matches. It should answer all the questions, with the exception of the 3-gun question.

Our 3-gun matches consist of rifle/carbine, shotgun and pistol. They usually have a couple stages of each, and a couple of transition stages, (long-gun to pistol).

Scoped carbines or iron sights compete equally, usually the advantages of one type are offset by the disadvantages. Normally people bring their Mini-14 or Ar-15.

The level of competition is pretty good, we can at any time have a master level IPSC shooter or two, most people are mid level competent. But, since there is nothing to win, (except at the championships), people don't take themselves too seriously, even the hotdogs.

Our tactical matches are judged primarily on your tactics to handle a particular scenario. A typical scenario, and one from last years, championship had you enter a dimly lit parking garage, and you are surrounded by 4 bad guys, who say, "Gimme your wallet". You are judged on how you handle the scenario. I'll post the tactical match rules of engagement seperately.

Here's the announcement..........................

It’s Shootin Time!

After a glorious winter weather wise, it is now time to start shooting again. March 10th is our first match, a steel match put on by Rich, Bob, and Rachael. This match will be a minimum of 6 stages of challenging steel shooting, (bring your fastest gun), as the lowest time wins. I have re-set up all steel targets this year, and calibrated them for 9mm hardball. So, while your wimpy .38 loads might be just fine for the steel plates, bring some more powerful ones for the full sized poppers. How much ammo? At least a hundred rounds, (maybe more depending on how many times you miss). Cost: $15.00

Our second match of the year is a 2-day, mega shooting weekend, put on by Oregon contingent Earle, Wayde and Raye. On Saturday, May 5th we will have a 3-gun match, (rifle, pistol and shotgun). It will have at least 2 stages of each firearm, and more than likely, some transition work. 50 rounds pistol, 50 rounds rifle, 50 rounds birdshot. 10 rounds buckshot and 10 slugs should get you through. (You may shoot ALL buckshot instead of birdshot if you want). Then, on Sunday, May 6th, you will be treated to a handgun only tactical match, testing your software instead of hardware. 6-8 stages of mind bogglers. Cost for each match is $15.00, or $25.00 for both.

Sunday, July 8th will see another handgun tactics match, but this time put on by Clay, Tracy and MaryBeth. Their match last year was a lot of fun and good lessons, this one should be even better. Cost: $15.00

Remember IDPA? That shooting sport that we officially did here for a couple of years? Rich, Shawn and Kale have agreed to put on a pure handgun shooting skills match following the IDPA format, on Sunday, Sept. 9th. Scenarios that are based on real life problems, scored as a combination of speed, tactics and accuracy. 6-8 stages, over 100 rounds. Cost: $15.00

And, for the final match of the year, your leader in arms, (me), will put together another combination "FAS Tactical and Handgun Championship" match and chili feed, (we still have some left over from last year). 4 stages in the morning of pure shooting challenges, and in the afternoon, 4 more tactical challenges. (or is it the other way around, I’m not sure). But we will have a lot of fun and see if Chuck Anderson and Rich Bitow can come back and defend their crowns.
Cost: $25.00 includes lunch.

SATURDAY, MARCH 10TH STEEL MATCH RICH B. , BOB AND RACHAEL

SATURDAY, MAY 5TH 3-GUN MATCH WAYDE, EARLE AND RAYE

SUNDAY, MAY 6TH HANDGUN TACTICAL MATCH WAYDE, EARLE AND RAYE

SUNDAY, JULY 8TH HANDGUN TACTICAL MATCH CLAY, TRACY AND MARYBETH

SUNDAY, SEPT. 9TH IDPA STYLE HANDGUN MATCH RICH F. , KALE AND SHAWN

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11TH FAS HANDGUN TACTICAL AND HANDGUN SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIPS

All matches start registering shooters at 9:00 am, and shooting starts at 10:00 am. We sincerely hope you will consider attending one or all the matches. Without participation, the matches will go away. I personally would like to thank those who help make last seasons matches a success, and look forward to working with this years match directors to make this year even better. If anyone needs to reach me about these matches, the phone number is 1-360-978-6100. But, is probably easier to communicate e-mail, "[email protected]". See you all on March 10th!!!
Marty

deanf
March 16, 2001, 06:23 AM
I know 3 PNW TFLers who are interested. And we just happen to have those May days off.

pax
March 18, 2001, 12:10 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. Count me in for sure.

pax

Marty Hayes
March 19, 2001, 11:29 AM
Since I will have to send out maps to the place, I'll take the lead in coordinating this. Please e-mail me your snail mail address, and I'll send a map out to the place. Will also see how many people are coming, to get a headcount.

Also, be sure to print out a copy of those rules of engagement, as they will be the rules we operate under for this match.

e-mail address is: [email protected]

Marty Hayes
March 21, 2001, 11:03 AM
So far, have received only two confirmations of attendance. Is this all that are going to make it?

pax
March 26, 2001, 02:35 PM
btt

PropellerHead
March 28, 2001, 02:49 PM
I just stumbled across this and am very excited about the idea! I recently picked up a shotgun and now have what I need to compete in a 3-gun match! Woo-Hoo! :D

I need to check with my social coordinator (aka wife) to see if we're free that weekend. If we are, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'll let my fellow "gun-nut" friends know about this. I think they'll be interested too.

SKN
April 9, 2001, 04:02 PM
BTT

swestby
April 13, 2001, 10:33 PM
I'll head up that'away, God willin' and the creeks don't rise between here and there, and there aren't any high power sport rocket launches that weekend.

Steve Westby
Hillsboro, OR

Marty Hayes
April 18, 2001, 10:03 AM
Anyone needing a map e-mail me at [email protected], provide me with a snail mail address and I will send one out.

Marty

pax
April 24, 2001, 10:55 AM
btt

SKN
April 28, 2001, 11:34 AM
A week from today, who's going to be there?

pax
May 1, 2001, 11:36 AM
I'll be there on Sunday.

pax

SKN
May 8, 2001, 06:58 PM
Never did get the map, so...? Marty? pax? nwgunman? John Marshall? tstr? Jason? GRD? PropellerHead? deanf?

tstr
May 8, 2001, 11:57 PM
I was disapointed that almost no TFLers showed up. Pax and I were the only ones, asside from Marty, of course. But other than that it was great -- one of the most fun competitions I've been to. Pax wrote up a short description of the day. I'll see if I can convince her to post it here.

They'll have another one in July. Worth attending. I can give you directions if you like.

tstr

PropellerHead
May 9, 2001, 12:09 AM
My wife and I were there on Saturday!!! My new 1911 wasn't quite ready for prime time, so we watched a few of the rounds, learned a lot, and met some really nice people!

I was hoping that more TFLers would have shown up too. :(

Thanks to Marty for opening this shoot up to us. I hope he'll do it again, and more of us will show up.

John Marshall
May 9, 2001, 11:02 PM
I wish I could have been there too, but I let a surgeon get too close to my left leg while I was asleep. After six weeks, I still haven't regained my legendary (in my mind :D ) (im)mobility. I can't do much but stand still and punch paper.

pax
May 10, 2001, 01:57 AM
I have to apologize in advance for what's going to be a longish post, but I do want to tell you all about the match. It really was a great day and I'll definitely be there the next time FAS hosts a tactical match -- in July? -- whether the rest of you people show up or not. :) You guys missed a great time!

The basic match rules were set for realistic scenarios that a normal CCW holder might encounter. It wasn't designed primarily as a competition nor as a 'game,' but as a medium to help you think things through and improve your skills. There were seven stages; three of the staging areas were primarily thinking stages and the others were primarily shooting stages.

An example of a thinking stage was a scenario where you had just walked into the front area of a restaurant to pay the bill, when behind you in the dining room you hear shots fired and a voice cussing loudly and saying, "Let's just kill them all!" You are three steps from the front door and could easily escape ... but your mother is still sitting in that room. You have to figure out what to do and then do it. You could rescue your mom and escape without attempting to engage the goblins, or shoot it out with them. Walking out and leaving Mom to their tender mercies wasn't acceptable, though. (Yes, I asked. You don't know my mother.) I died on this one by exposing myself for more than 2 seconds. A friend of mine lived through it, but only by hiding himself behind innocent bystanders in order to sneak up on the bad guys ... he claimed that barrels LOOK like barrels, even when you're told they're people.

Another thinking stage was a low-light house. See http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66197 over in general for a chance to look over my shoulder while I did that stage. Highlight: the instructor telling me, "No one's ever done it this way before." :D

The other stages were equally fun but not so hard on the adrenaline factory. There were a couple "shoot from behind a barricade" scenes, a moving target scene, and a shoot off against a randomly-drawn person in your group -- five red targets on either side of two black center targets. Knock over all your red targets, then knock over your black one
before your opponent knocks his over.

How'd I do? Well, I got 7 shots inside the kill zone on the moving target, but it took 10 to pass that stage. I was thrilled anyway because six months ago I couldn't have hit it even if it weren't moving.

Apart from the low-light scene, I flunked *EVERY* stage. Flunking a stage isn't as bad as it sounds; I was there primarily to learn and the group I was with was very understanding. The scenarios were all winnable, but not for a relative newcomer like me. I mean, I hit most all my targets, but never inside the time limit. I made stupid newcomer mistakes like getting killed by a sniper that I never saw because I'd never even seen a steel plate before, having only shot paper targets at informal ranges. Next time I'll do better -- or at least make a different set of mistakes! :D

I learned a lot and will definitely do it again. More than that, I left the range very excited about the class (FAS-2) that I'll be taking next weekend, because I now have some idea of what I need to learn in that class.

pax

Your fellow human rights activists request the honor of your presence at Seattle Center on May 12th for a very important gun rights demonstration around 11 AM. Join [email protected] for more information.

Marty Hayes
May 13, 2001, 03:03 PM
Our next match is Sunday, July 8th if you guys want to try another attempt to get together.