PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot in Atlanta area?

Mike Kilo Niner
January 21, 2001, 10:49 PM
I've been lurking on this board for some time now. For once the magic "search" button has failed to answer some of my questions, so I finally registered. I love this board, and look forward to being a contributing member now! :)

Anyway, to my point --

I'm looking for a good outdoor shooting range where an AR-15 wouldn't be looked at with horror. I'm new to shooting, and the area so I haven't a clue where to shoot. Caveats: I'm a poor college student, so a spendy gun club may not be a good solution. Are there any free public ranges not far from town?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joe Klug
January 22, 2001, 02:23 AM
Mike,

Welcome to TFL. Depending on what part of the metro area you are in there are a few places to shoot your AR. The one I like best is the place closest to home out here in west Georgia. It's a small shop and outdoor range called Advanced Bullets and it's in Temple. From Atlanta you would take I-20 westbound and get off at exit 19. Turn left at the end of the off ramp and the range is about 2 miles on the left. Anyone can shoot there and range fees are only $4 per hour. They have target stands at 25 feet, 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. They also can throw clays for you if you're into shotgun shooting and they hold sporting clays competitions once a month in the warmer part of the year.

Let me know if you need more information.

Joe

BigG
January 22, 2001, 10:12 AM
out of ATL to the East on I20. Get off at Social Circle exit, turn right. It's several miles off the highway, follow the signs. FREE, I repeat FREE. Bring cardboard to hold your targets in the target frames. Happy shooting!

Mike Kilo Niner
January 22, 2001, 12:49 PM
BigG:

"FREE" definitely sounds like it might be in my price range!

Joe Klug:

Another good idea. I'll have to try them out sometime, too. I'm on the East side of town, so BigG's suggestion is probably easier for me when you figure traffic through town.

Keep the ideas coming, y'all! I've just got to sight this baby in!

Joe Klug
January 23, 2001, 01:08 AM
Mike,

Yeah, if you're on the east side of Atlanta riding all the way out here might not be that good for you. Of course, depending where you are, Social Circle might not be much closer.:) Of course, it's hard to beat the price BigG quoted.:)

Another good range on the east side of town is South River Gun Club which is south of Conyers. If you meet someone who is a member you could ask to go with them sometime as a guest to check it out. It is a bit on the expensive side but it's a nice range.

If you want to check out Advanced Bullets some Saturday shoot me an E-mail (in my profile) and I'll try to meet you there. Might even get a few other TFL members to come along and make a day of it. I know Ben's got a new toy he's wanting to try out.:D

Joe

Mike Kilo Niner
January 23, 2001, 09:06 AM
Clever Joe,

That would be perfect -- except the next couple of weeks are crazy busy for me. We should definitely set up a TFL "meet, greet and skeet" (or rifle shoot, but that doesn't rhyme :)).

When my schedule starts to clear up, I'll definitely send you an e-mail. Thanks for the offer!