PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a predator rifle...

Clevinger
July 27, 2013, 06:39 PM
I want a 243 Winchester chambered rifle with a synthetic stock for predator hunting in winter. To date I have been using a Benelli M2.

I would prefer a camo synthetic stock for less than $1000, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. The main one I've found is the Remington Model 7 Predator.

What 243s with synthetic stocks are out there in that price range that you'd recommend?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwrv4QX1_dLZ0oLq97z4MtHk7UlX4umaBGdDS4vcgqB6X5KSMXuQ

taylorce1
July 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
Find a rifle you like don't worry about it not having the camo job on it. You can either rattle can a camo job or if you google "hydro dipping" and you can have that done for less than $300 in most cases.

Art Eatman
July 27, 2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah, get a spray can of camo paint from Tru-Valu.

:D:D:D

Sorry. Couldn't help it. It's just a character defect...

big al hunter
July 27, 2013, 07:13 PM
Here's one in camo and 243. http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-100-atr-centerfire-mossy-oak-deer-thug-series/27179 I have its brother in black and stainless. Good shooter and for the price you won't have to worry about hurting it.

big al hunter
July 27, 2013, 07:21 PM
Or... get whatever suits you and put a camo skin on it http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/rifle-mossy-oak-camo-gun-wrap-kit.html I have not tried this but now I'm interested. And its only $25

Kimber84
July 27, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have a Kimber .243 Montana. I think it was around $1100, slightly out of your price range, but for carrying on multiple yote setups its sweeeeeet! Somewhere in the mid 5# range. I love it!

You can find good used ones for around $900-950. It has a matte gray Kevlar stock with stainless barrel. I've seen a few that were rattle canned with good results.

AllenJ
July 27, 2013, 08:00 PM
I'd get a rifle I liked and then either have a camo job done to it or do it myself. I have done shotguns before and it is pretty easy. I like your choice of cartridge, I have a Weathery Vanguard S2 in 243 and it is fast becoming my favorite cartridge to shoot.

wnycollector
July 27, 2013, 08:19 PM
You might want to check out one of Howa's camo offerings here (http://legacysports.com/axiom-varminter-scope-package).

Clevinger
July 27, 2013, 09:56 PM
I have a Kimber .243 Montana. I think it was around $1100, slightly out of your price range, but for carrying on multiple yote setups its sweeeeeet!

I can get up to that price range, but I don't really want to for a synthetic stock. I own a Model 70 Super Grade, so I like Model 70s. I checked out the coyote lights and again, I just struggle to pay that much for a plastic stock.

Kimber84
July 27, 2013, 10:15 PM
I can get up to that price range, but I don't really want to for a synthetic stock. I own a Model 70 Super Grade, so I like Model 70s. I checked out the coyote lights and again, I just struggle to pay that much for a plastic stock.

I guess I'm confused, you specifically asked for .243's with synthetic stocks??

The Kevlar stock on this gun certainly isn't cheap, but whatever you like is what you like. I have a couple Kimbers with wood stocks, and while they're a work of art, I have a hard time using them as they should be. I'm constantly worried I'm going to scratch them. For me, all guns moving forward will be synthetic.

TnTnTn
July 27, 2013, 10:17 PM
Ruger American, ~$350, 3-4cans of Krylon spray paint ~ $20, decent Nikon, Redfield, Vortex, Burris scope ~$200 and you are there with a great inexpensive Winter predator rifle. Not much snob appeal but it will kill predators with the best of them.

Kimber84
July 27, 2013, 10:27 PM
Ruger American, ~$350, 3-4cans of Krylon spray paint ~ $20, decent Nikon, Redfield, Vortex, Burris scope ~$200 and you are there with a great inexpensive Winter predator rifle. Not much snob appeal but it will kill predators with the best of them.

Lol...

Snob appeal, I love it... A guy spends more on a rifle than someone else would, and they're a snob... Yep, that makes sense.

Kimber84
July 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
Have you looked at TC's? Friend uses those and loves them for predator hunting. Not sure what all calibers he owns anymore, but I know he uses the 22-250 a lot. They also come factory with a matching camo scope. Seem like good guns, he has been very happy with them.

Clevinger
July 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
I appreciate the comments in here.

Does anyone have experience with the Tikka T3 lite?

What about a Savage Predator?

hooligan1
July 28, 2013, 09:06 AM
Find an ole Savage flat-top in .243 win, or even 25-06. You can spray a decent pattern on a riflestock, it's easy.. if you goof it up start over again.. then coat it in Matte clear from Rust-Oleum,, it doesn't really shine and it helps against scratching paint off...
If you handload, loading light bullets for each of these calibers is simple.. I haven't loaded light bullets for the .243 win, but I have 85 grain Ballistic Tips from Nosler for the 25-06, light recoil, cover four out of five shots at one hundred yards with a nickle..;) Put decent glass and mounts atop it...
Including scope you could spend 5-600.00 totally if you got the rifle right...Scope could be most expensive.. if your not careful.:)

BillM
July 28, 2013, 09:21 AM
Savage.

Axis without scope MSRP under $500.
Predator, with camo scope---still under $1000

jmr40
July 28, 2013, 09:44 AM

There are cheap plastic stocks, and quality fiberglass/kevlar stocks. The Kimber stock is comparable to a $600-$700 aftermarket stock. For the price Kimber charges for their rifles with a stock of this quality they are a bargain.

For your uses a Tikka might be a better choice. Kimbers are great rifles, but at about 5 lbs are better suited for a big game hunter wanting to hike into remote areas and looking for a lightweight rifle. The Tikka is about a pound heavier, but still a lightweight. Also about $500 cheaper and just as accurate. The Kimbers can be amazingly accurate, but a lot of people can't shoot one well because of the light weight. The Tikka has one of the better inexpensive plastic stocks.

If you like Winchesters look at the EW. The B&C stocks are decent. No where near the quality of a Kimber or aftermaket McMillan, but a big step up over the cheap tupperware stocks on many others

Forget about camo. Not needed and if you feel you really want it, Krylon it.

steveNChunter
July 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
When I think of predator hunting in the winter, this rifle comes to mind...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/images/silo-detail-745-venture-predator-snow.jpg

Its also available in regular camo. And it comes in .243 with a 1:10 twist which should be perfect for the mid to light for caliber bullets I assume you will be using

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture_predator.php

m&p45acp10+1
July 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
I would suggest a Savage. If you are taking longer shots, and want utmost dead to rights accuracy out of the box the FSSV model. Though I would go .22-250 Rem. if it were me, and just for varmints. Though that is a bull barrel model for long range. It is heavy, I have its brother in .223 Rem. I put 4 coyotes down at 425 yards with 4 shots as fast as I could work the bolt, and be on the next one. They run around $850 localy here with no scope or bases. If you want it cammo then a graphics wrap, or spray paint are cheap.

If you are going to have to carry it, and maybe take off hand shots then a sporter barrel in the same model.

It think Remington also makes a VTR in .243 Win as well.

Kleab
July 29, 2013, 09:33 PM
Savage has three or four Model 10 Predator Rifles chambered in .243 that come in synthetic camo.

02bigdogs17
August 2, 2013, 05:49 PM
If you want the best, and most dependable rifle out there buy a Savage. Even the low end Savage Axis will drive nails. It is unbelievable. I own an Axis in .223 and a model 10 in .243 and they are awesome. I also own a Remington 700 in 30-06 and it is a good gun but not as good as my Savages.

Clevinger
August 2, 2013, 06:45 PM
You know, I really want to like the savage, but I've had people tell me they don't feed right out of their magazines (including the predator 10 and also other models like their 220 slug guns).

Has that not been your experience?

603Country
August 2, 2013, 06:58 PM
I'm not a fan of Savage rifles, but it's just because I don't like the look and feel.

If I was going to get myself a Predator rifle, that Rem Model 7 in camo sure looks like a winner to me. Or I'd go for a Ruger Hawkeye. I've got one and I really like it. And then there's Cooper or Dakota if you have some extra coin. If you want a standard weight barrel, I'd get the Remington. If you want a heavy barrel, I'd go for the Ruger with the bull barrel (I forget the model or name). But...that's just me.

And I don't want to start a squabble, but I hear a lot of folks talking about how accurate the Savages are. But, when I read the comparative testing in the gun mags, they don't seem to test out any better than the other make rifles.

Get the Remington in camo. Put a nice scope on it. Handload for it.

Buzzcook
August 3, 2013, 12:28 PM
Her ya go.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10XPPREDATORSNOW
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/NXK0Ts4uw_yT6uB8QB1.png

WIN1886
August 3, 2013, 08:07 PM
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless

cdbeagle
August 6, 2013, 10:52 PM
I don't really care for Savage rifles and if asked why couldn't give an answer. That being said we have in our family a Savage .243 with Accu-Stock and Accu-Trigger. It sports a Vortex Viper 3-9 and is incredibly accurate. We also have a Vanguard S2 in .243 with a Bushnell Elite 3-9 that is super accurate. I like the Vanguard better and it has a 24" barrel as opposed to a 22" on the Savage. The Savage is just as accurate as the Vanguard though. We now have three S2's. I think they are great rifles.

Picher
August 7, 2013, 05:43 AM
I love my .243 Win, Tikka T-3 Lite. Mine is dull black and I continue to be impressed with its accuracy, function, and carry ease. Half-inch groups at 100 yards with handloads are the norm.

A Leupold 3-9x VX-2 helps make it a great predator rifle at any reasonable range.

TexasDuckHunter
August 7, 2013, 03:07 PM
Predator hunting is my specialty! Whether its Hogs, Bobcats, Coyotes, Whatever it may be! That being said I have ten years experience in doing so and have made just as many errors as the next guy. First things first If someone wants a gun that is solely for predator hunting 9 times out of 10 they are buying a 22-250.. I would without a doubt suggest a 22-250 over a .243 which is mostly a deer hunting caliber (don't get me wrong a .243 can kill any predator in america, but if your buying a gun solely for that purpose, wouldn't you want to use a caliber engineered for that purpose?) I Wouldn't be so picky with the stock either, you can duracoat your stock for 30 bucks and it will last the life of the gun, or you can buy rustoleum camo spray paint or 9 bucks and it will last a LONG time. Now for the actual gun. I personally wouldn't be willing to spend to much on a gun that will only serve one purpose, I would get something like a Savage Axis (250-270), Savage model 11 trophy hunter(400-500), or for some variety a Ruger american rifle (300-350). You can obtain 1 MOA with any of those rifles.