PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember your first machine gun?

Machineguntony
July 8, 2013, 07:13 PM
So I am waiting for delivery and the stamps of my machine guns.

I am not only excited to have my new toys, but I am also looking forward to owning my first machine gun. I've never shot one that I've owned, but Ive shot other people's MGs.

Do you guys remember when you owned your FIRST machine gun? Is it really as cool and fun as I think? Were you in the camp of 'wow this thing is way overrated'? Or did you say, 'wow I'm never shooting a semi auto again!'.

My friend who owns several m16s said its so awesome he finds semi autos boring.

What was your experience?

Samdweezel05
July 8, 2013, 07:33 PM
I live in New York, I will never have a chance to have a MG to remember as long as I live here.

allaroundhunter
July 8, 2013, 07:36 PM
I haven't owned any, but I have shot plenty. To me, the thrill kinda wears off. It is a lot of fun to have, but I am more of an accuracy shooter and burning lots of ammo and not being as accurate just doesn't do it for me.

Of course, for others owning a FA firearm is the best thing that ever happened to them. Different strokes for different folks.

Theohazard
July 9, 2013, 01:21 AM
I actually don't remember which of the following was my first machine gun; the 5.56mm M249 SAW, the 7.62mm M240G, the .50 M2, or the 40mm MK19 grenade launcher. I don't consider the M16A2 to be a machine gun; besides only going on three-round-burst, it isn't belt-fed and it's not designed for sustained full-auto support fire.

I've fired plenty of full-auto rifles and machine guns from many other countries, but our M240G remains my favorite. It's a true medium machine gun. It's belt-fed and fires 7.62x51mm rounds at 650-950 rounds per minute. There's nothing quite like the feeling when you're putting thousands of rounds downrange from a 240 mounted on a bipod or tripod.

And the feeling is even better knowing you're not paying for ammo!

Tejicano
July 9, 2013, 02:50 AM
I first fired full-auto in the Marines and always did enjoy it. So when I got out and got to the point where I could afford one I bought a suppressed 45ACP MAC-10. After that I built a M1919A4 on a registered right side plate.

Full auto is fun and nothing like other firearms. A machinegun fired off-hand is also different from full-auto on a tripod. That said, I still enjoy revolvers, pistols, rifles, shotguns, semi-auto, bolt action, black powder, etc. etc.

Each type has its own character and history. To me they are all enjoyable - just different.

Skans
July 9, 2013, 10:49 AM
Is it really as cool and fun as I think?

Cooler! In fact, it was (and is) about the most fun thing I've ever purchased. I have two regrets: 1) the price of ammo; 2) its increase in value. Yes, I actually wish it was still worth the $2,400 I paid for it. I used to shoot it without worrying. Now, its worth about $7,000, maybe more. Sadly, the increase in value coupled with cost of ammo means I don't shoot it as much anymore. But, I will never get rid of it!

cohoskip
July 9, 2013, 12:21 PM
My first experience was firing a BAR in the Marines. Then, when in Korea I carried an M2 carbine (selective fire) and a Thompson. I liked them all, but the secret to accuracy is firing short bursts...

Machineguntony
July 9, 2013, 02:26 PM
Skans,

I was reding another NFA forum, and people were saying that a lot of these guns are going into vaults, due to their value, and never seeing the light of day or the range again, until they're sold as investments.

NFA machine guns are becoming art, and they're exceedingly becoming rare, so I understand your feelings.

I hope I don't get paranoid about the values. But maybe I am because now I'm looking at buying the biggest safe that won't fall through my second story home. Lol.

Ahhhhh. I can't wait until the day comes...

Tejicano
July 10, 2013, 03:42 AM
I already have a safe that probably would break through the top floor of most second story homes. It sits directly on the concrete.

The minimum thickness on all walls as well as the door is 1/2 inch steel.

But then my NFA items are usually in the bank safe deposit box I keep for them.

medalguy
July 15, 2013, 01:00 AM
My first? That was a .50 Browning I acquired from a scrap yard that was cutting up F-84 aircraft and they just threw the Brownings into a pile. I managed to buy one and fell in love. Before anyone goes off on that, this was about 1961 and no one was concerned that a guy was buying .50 caliber machine guns other than to ask "Whatcha gonna do with that?"

That started the whole thing...............and yeah it was cool as hell.

spacecoast
July 15, 2013, 08:46 AM
I've never had the privilege of shooting a MG, but my son was a door gunner in Afghanistan (2012/13) and got some practice with the M240H model mounted on the side of the Black Hawk. He said it was quite a rush to run through 200 rounds of 7.62x51 and did well holding rounds on target while circling/flying by.

jerryd
July 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
M-60 sweet!!! Dont have enough money to buy one so all i can do is remember back in the Army !!

n5lyc
July 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
The first one I ever fired was when I was about 10 years old.
My dads friend had a m11a1 in .380 with the can.
It was soo much fun!!

I have since always had a love affair with the m11a1 and m10.

Everyone should own one or two!!

henry bucki
August 18, 2013, 03:04 PM
I got my wife to watch Death Wish on tv with Charles Bronson. after that at dinner out ,i said you know we need a gun ,after seeing the movie. she agreed-ed. then i broke the news that i had bought a uzi. back then i believe it was around $4000. since then i bought a mp5sd ,traded it for a mp40 bought a mp44 also, love the mp44 best of all.

grumpa72
August 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
I was 19, in the Air Force, and got to shoot both the M16 and M60 in 1970. We had to qualify with the M16 but could only shoot it semi-auto. :mad: The instructors did a demo showing how full auto would chew through a concrete block wall. A couple of weeks later we got to shoot the M60 and that we got to shoot full auto! We were supposed to try and hit what we were shooting at but it was a qualifying course. We were Air Force on an Army base so we did try our best. To the best of my memory, 100 yards was a piece of cake. Shooting at an M113 APC at 400 yards should have been a piece of cake. Not so. Didn't hit squat at 400 yards but I recall it was a hoot.

Coach Z
August 18, 2013, 07:44 PM
I haven't gotten it yet. I'm waiting on my stamps for a supressed 9mm mac 10. I've never fired full auto and yeah I'm..(insert kid on christmas type analogy):D:D:D:D

Beretta686
August 18, 2013, 09:03 PM
I've shot tons of automatic weapons in the military and it's quite a bit of fun to burn through a literal pile of ammunition while getting paid for it, especially the .50. But, tragically the military doesn't quite just let you go wild with their toys (unless you're in a cool guy unit that gets to wear beards).

So back in '08 there was nothing quite like getting a call from my NFA dealer that my NIB RPB MAC-10 9mm's Form 4 had finally arrived. Hell, I think I heard angels singing in the background. :D

I was on a training exercise at the time, so I had to wait a few days to go pick it up, but I was itching the whole time just to lay my hands upon my new NIB toy, as I'd avoided actually seeing it, until I could take it home.

When I finally got back from the field, I went directly to his house and filled out the remaining paperwork and took possession of a styrofoam box, with my new beauty in it. I was busy for a few days, so I all I could do was fondle it and make machine gun noises in front of the TV, like I was on Miami Vice or something.

But finally I had the time off and went off the one range in the area that allowed FA and quickly made one less NIB transferable MAC-10 in the world. It was quite an experience to run that first stick through that MAC and laugh uncontrollably/slightly manically at the sheer absurdity and coolness of it all.

Now I have an M16 and a full-auto 10/22 inbound and don't at all regret getting into the MG game one bit (they're legitimate investments IMHO). I still laugh every time I take my MAC to the range and run a stick through it, or let someone else try an MG for the the first time.

If you're getting an MG for some imagined "useful" purpose or for any other reason than to be amused and to just have fun, you're going to be sorely disappointed. But it you're just looking to have fun and turn $$$ into noise, along with having an investment you can not only actually use, but also enjoy, they're hard to beat.