PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Six 22 magnum

JoeSF
January 7, 2001, 12:46 PM
Is a ruger single six 22 magnum any good for cowboy shoots? Most of the clubs seem to specify 32 cal or higher.

Bill Mitchell
January 7, 2001, 10:43 PM
The .22 magnum couldn't be used at cowboy matches. Most clubs go by SASS rules, which are .32 and over. Some of the larger matches hold .22 side matches, but I doubt if they would let you shoot .22 magnum.

Bellicose Bill

[Edited by Bill Mitchell on 01-21-2001 at 01:21 PM]

Chris Bowie
January 8, 2001, 10:17 PM
G'day the Joe,
As Bill said most clubs use the rules of the Single Action Shooting Society. the min. allowable pistol calibre being 32. There is however another reason why many ban rimfires for Cowboy Action shooting.
A few years ago here a number of clubs here allowed rimfires to encourage new people without the right hardware ..... it was a total DISASTER !!!!! unlike centrefire projectiles that fragment on impact with a steel target a rimfire projectile tends to Ricochet.... with bullets going in all directions..... As Bill said some have side matches for them... we do but with paper targets.
Have to admit I love my little Single Six with its 2 cylinders.... but not really a Cowboy action gun.
Chris Bowie SASS # 3487
Kenton Valley Cowboys South Australia

Ned Roundtree
January 9, 2001, 11:24 PM
Ditto on what has been said. Velocity of standard .22 exceeds SASS limits and dimples the steel targets. But just as important, SASS rules require .32 caliber and above for pistol. Encouraging juniors to shoot has brought many questions as to whether juniors can use .22s. The answer is no! Ruins the targets and is against SASS rules.

handgun357
January 21, 2001, 12:55 AM
Although you can not use it at a cowboy shoot, it is a nice sidearm. Heritage makes a good copy of the same also.

Bill Mitchell
January 21, 2001, 01:27 PM
Howdy Ned,

The Cherokee Cowboys do let juniors shoot .22's and .410's at our monthly matches. The .22 ammo must be all lead (most of it is). Our targets are made of T-1 and hung at an angle, so target damage or bounce-back isn't really a problem. We have some pretty young kids shooting (9-11), and some of 'em shoot .38s and 20 gauge shotguns.

Bellicose Bill