PDA

View Full Version : I'm stupid, or just lost.

menotseeu
June 3, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hope this is where I should be placing this thread.
Problem. I have a Browning Citori I bought years ago. It is a 12 gauge over/under.
I'm looking for the year the shotgun was manufactured and have run into a problem.
My serial numbers don't seem to match ANY of the Browning's on the Browning list.
http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=32
I have two lines of numbers
RTJ53
Can any of you experts help an old guy out?
There is no list for the RTJ53

larryh1108
June 3, 2013, 09:15 PM
The 10371 is the serial#

The RT shows 76 for 1976.

The J53 does not exist.

It has an I53 (12ga 3")
JB3
and a few other 12ga variations.

Are the letters/numbers clear?
I suppose it could be a vaiation of one of those
or they left out the J53.
However, it was made in 1976.

menotseeu
June 3, 2013, 10:37 PM
Yes.I'm sure of the letters and number's. I looked at it under a 5" magnifying glass that has a florescent bulb around the glass and clamps to your desk.
I checked, and double checked. They are actually very clear.
I guess that's where I'm bewildered. I have a gun that doesn't exist according to Browning.

bob the dinosaur
June 4, 2013, 04:12 PM
The following was clipped from Shotgunworld website from 2005:

whitefish
"I deciphered the Citori I just purchased using the "Date Your Gun" section at the Browning website. Look under the "Services" section.

I could figure mine out to year, but not model of Citori. The "J53" suffix was not at Browning's site. One call to Browning and I found out what I suspected. A 3" chamber Hunter (field) model.

Happy Hunting"

I hope this helps you. I'm going to add this to my serialization chart. I'm willing to believe it without calling Browning.

menotseeu
June 4, 2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks much guys. I'm with you Bob. I'm going to believe it also. It's a pretty simple shotgun. Just the basic, without any bells or whistles. I guess I should assume it is a 1976 ?