PDA

View Full Version : '58 cylinder

North East Redneck
May 26, 2013, 01:55 AM
I picked up a new cylinder for my 1858 ASM. The cylinder I had was starting to show heavy wear where the hand contacts it for rotation. Received the new cylinder from Numrich the other day, cleaned it up and put it in the frame of the gun. Rotates well, locks up nicely. What I'm seeing is that the hand is already creating a slight groove in its contact area on the cylinder, same wear issue as the old cylinder. So, I ask, what is the fix guys? I turn wrenches for a living, but this small stuff is sometimes out of my comfort zone.
Also, it appears that the leading edge on the cylinder contact points (where the hand pushes it) is getting a bit roughed up. Should I send her to someone who can tune the gun? Or is it a simple fix?
People report that ASM guns have soft internals, is it just worn? Should I replace all the internal parts? It is a 1990 imported by CVA. It is nothing special, but the gun is accurate, I would like to resolve this issue with it.

mykeal
May 26, 2013, 06:36 AM
If the gun was still timed correctly so that the cylinder was locking up in battery, I don't see the issue. You mention heavy wear but don't describe the problem that causes, so I wonder if this is just a cosmetic thing. Wear by itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Doc Hoy
May 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
Is it right to say that the Pettifogger articles describe concepts that can be applied to Remingto even though the articles are written for Colts?

IIRC this is the case.

If so, it might be worthwhile for the OP to read them.

Doc Hoy
May 26, 2013, 08:34 AM
The upload message tells me they are there but I sure don't see them.

You can find them easily by Googling Pettifogger tuning the pietta.

Hawg
May 26, 2013, 09:41 AM
I think you're talking about a drag line from the bolt not the hand.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/Remingtons/remmy.jpg

The foremost reason for it is letting the hammer down from half cock. You should always bring it to full cock and lower it from there. The other reason is the bolt is too tall and needs filing down a smidge.

bedbugbilly
May 26, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hawg - I picked up something new from your comment in regards to always going to full cock. . . . which got me to wondering. While I've lookd at a free original Remingtons over the years, I've never noticed (or paid attention) to the cylinders. Did the originals suffer from "drag lines" as well?

Hawg
May 26, 2013, 01:13 PM
They did indeed. You won't see many originals without them.

mykeal
May 26, 2013, 05:45 PM
Yes, the Pettifogger articles would be well worth the time to read.
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

North East Redneck
May 27, 2013, 08:59 PM
Hawg- no its on the cylinder face where the hand rotates it. Bolt seems to left very little wear on the old cylinder. Nothing on the new one.
Mykeal- the problem is only that the metal on the cylinder seems get worn quickly. The gun does lock up nicely.
Doc- anything that helps with learning is worth reading. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will read the links you guys have offered. Let you know.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Doc Hoy
May 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
Experimenting with the shape of the tip of the hand on an ASM one time.

This was a five shot revolver and the action worked a little hard. I found that rounding off the right side of the hand made the action work with a little less effort on the hammer.

The reason that I mention this is that the extra force I had to exert on the hammer to get the cylinder to rotate may have been adding wear to the ratchet where the hand bears.

I never was able to see that on the revolver I fiddled with because I also had to mess with the ratchet teeth.

I would be cautious with this since I am not certain how the hand is hardened in your revolver.

If it is just the tip which is surface hardened, it might be possible to file enough to get below the hardened section into the softer metal.

The ASM I messed with had a hand which was soft so it didn't really matter. The hand was also far too long and required filing anyway.