PDA

View Full Version : desktop cannon

Eppie
May 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,
I not normally involved with black powder guns, but I have a friend who has this brass (about ten inch long) desktop cannon. He says that it has been fired once, many years ago, and wants to do it again.

Where should he start learning about how to do this safely?

Your advice is appreciated.

Doc Hoy
May 13, 2013, 02:08 PM
For anyone here to be of much help, we would need to know a little more about the piece.

Name, identifying data, maker, sized and such.

Photos would be nice.

I am sure someone here can be of assistance.

Bill DeShivs
May 13, 2013, 02:21 PM
Load it like you would a black powder pistol of equivalent bore size. Cannon fuse is available on the internet. Firecracker fuse can also be used. Aluminum foil makes great wadding.
There are many small cannon that are not suitable for firing, or are designed to use firecrackers only. A picture would help determine what he has. Need a picture of the muzzle, also.

Rifleman1776
May 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
I collect small cannon and have fired mine many times.
#1, use black powder only.
Wadding is not needed for making noise.
Wait between shots and/or cool barrel with damp swab.
Don't even think about using a projectile unless the cannon was designed to fire them. If you don't know, get an expert to inspect.

4V50 Gary
May 14, 2013, 12:30 PM
Is it a machined brass cannon or a casted (made in India) decorative brass cannon? If the former, it is treated like any other muzzle loader smooth bore gun.

Eppie
May 14, 2013, 01:02 PM
Apparently it is machined brass and his brother made it on lathe. I sent him the link and he said that he will post a picture later when he has time.

4V50 Gary
May 15, 2013, 08:52 AM
Heck. Since it is machined, it should be safe to shoot mild loads. I'd go with no more than 20 grains 3f max.