PDA

View Full Version : Why so much

chaz12
May 8, 2013, 04:28 PM
Am I missing something? This is an Italian dragoon, maker unknown, that has been antiqued. It is currently bidding for $690 on Gunbroker with 20 bidders.

Doc Hoy
May 8, 2013, 05:01 PM
...20 people have more money than brains

brazosdave
May 8, 2013, 05:10 PM
Gunbroker has not been kind to me lately. Other than a nice .44 Pietta Navy that I got for a good price, I've not had good luck since December

Andy Griffith
May 8, 2013, 05:29 PM
I guess they are paying for the "look." :confused:

Probably too lazy to antique it themselves.

Maybe someone thinks they can pass it off as real to an unassuming collector/investor. :mad:

There are more non-gun and ill experienced folks investing in "highly collectible" arms nowadays, and perhaps they are being had by folks passing off defarbed reproductions as real. Some very renown auction companies sell defarbs more often than you think as real- not intentionally mind you, but I've seen it at least once personally, and heard from my friend who, like a moth to a flame goes to those things. He's gotten burned more than once, and I consider him a fairly educated collector.

Not only is that illegal, but it gives the industry a bad name.

Roshi
May 8, 2013, 05:46 PM
Many of the online dealers have better deals than Gunbroker.

sltm1
May 8, 2013, 06:09 PM
The rear sight is rare...but not that rare.

4V50 Gary
May 8, 2013, 06:15 PM
What did P. T. Barnum say?

Hellgate
May 8, 2013, 10:37 PM
sltm1 hit it I think. That version with the 2 or 3 leaf rear sight was only made for a while and as far as I know not any more by anyone. I think it was to be shot with a shoulder stock. If memory serves, (maybe) ASM made them. I remember thinking of getting one about 20 or 30 years ago then they were off the market. Who woulda thunk there'd be an internet.

Fingers McGee
May 8, 2013, 11:05 PM
sltm1 hit it I think. That version with the 2 or 3 leaf rear sight was only made for a while and as far as I know not any more by anyone. I think it was to be shot with a shoulder stock. If memory serves, (maybe) ASM made them. I remember thinking of getting one about 20 or 30 years ago then they were off the market. Who woulda thunk there'd be an internet.

ASM made the 3rd Model Dragoons cut for the shoulder stock and with the folding leaf sights in the late 70's. I've got one dated 1977. These revolvers came in a couple variations; the standard 7 1/2 inch barrel with shoulder stock, and one with the shoulder stock and an 18 inch barrel (there was one of them on GB in the past week or so with a HIGH asking price). Some also came with a holster for the long barreled revolver.

swathdiver
May 9, 2013, 12:43 AM
Those long barreled dragoons with the stock have sold for between $700-950 as of late.

Guess those folks like the look of that ASM Dragoon. Is it represented as a repro?

There's a saying that my father used to repeat: "A fool and his money are easily separated". The Scriptures say something very similar.

bedbugbilly
May 9, 2013, 07:09 AM
"My Mama says that sometimes you just can't fix stupid."

I look at it this way . . . for that price, a fella could buy two brand new BP steel frame revolvers . . . . . then go out and have twice as much fun shooting. :):eek::rolleyes:

NateKirk
May 9, 2013, 05:02 PM
There's a sucker born ever minute

sltm1
May 9, 2013, 07:47 PM
.....and two to take him...PT Barnum