PDA

View Full Version : Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal - whats it worth

JohnRaven
May 5, 2013, 05:59 PM
For the life of me, I cannot find an 1851 exactly like this one that also notes the value of it.

The closest one I could find has an hexagon barrel, as you can see, this one is round...

All brass frame
.36 caliber
round barrel.

Also, is there was a way to date these replicas?

Thanks for the input!

mykeal
May 5, 2013, 06:08 PM
You have a replica of a Confederate Griswold & Gunnison revolver. Proof dates are marked on the frame and may be Roman numerals or a two letter code in a square box. The codes specify dates as:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/Italiandatecodes-2013.png (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/mykealsm/media/Guns/Italiandatecodes-2013.png.html)
Many of these replicas are made in .44 cal, which is not authentic; the G&G was only made in .36 cal, like your gun.

Hawg
May 5, 2013, 06:37 PM
Looks like a kit, The grips are horribly oversized.

Fingers McGee
May 5, 2013, 06:46 PM
What Hawg & Mykeal said. From the looks of it; it's worth between $100 and $125 depending on whether it works or not. Traditions/Pietta calls this model the 1851 Reb Nord Navy.

JohnRaven
May 5, 2013, 07:26 PM
Great information! thanks guys...

This one dates 1979...

It functions 100% as far I can tell without firing it.

half cock/ full cock, trigger releases the hammer.
The timing appears to be spot on...

Fingers McGee,

I assume you meant $100 - $125, not $1125 lol.

Bluing is very good. It had a couple light surface rust spots that came right out.
The nipples were the worst, they cleaned up fine though...

One thing that I still have a question about though...

Since this is an older one, is that why it has a round barrel vs the newer ones with the hexagonal barrel?

ivankerley
May 5, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mykeal nailed it, you have a Confederate copy of a colt, A replica Griswald and Gunnison revolver, it had the round barrel vs. the Colts octagon
grips dont look to be finished too well so as was said might be a kit
neat pistol nonetheless
regards
Gene

Fingers McGee
May 5, 2013, 10:32 PM
Fingers McGee,

I assume you meant $100 - $125, not $1125 lol.

You are correct, Sir. I musta fat fingered that one. Correction made.

brazosdave
May 6, 2013, 07:24 AM
yep, I got an old Griswold & Gunnison rep just like that one that I'm antiqueing now. There were no markings on mine except for the Navy arms, made in italy, and black powder, .36 cal. no serial #'s, etc. Only place I found a makers mark was the pietta diamond on the back of the cylinder in between the nipples.