PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Cabelas

chaz12
April 5, 2013, 04:50 PM
Cabelas opened a new store in Ohio recently which I was pretty excited about. I envisioned going there and being able to select the very best from numerous BP revolvers. Stopped by to visit today.

Let's say my expectations were not fulfilled They have a display board with 3 revolvers on it: an 1851 navy, a brass frame 1851 navy, and a brass 1858 style with something like a 12" barrel. In the gun sales counter there were a total of 2: a Dance Brothers and another long barreled 1858.

There were a total of 3 boxes of round ball: two .454 and one .58 caliber. I shoot .454 round ball, so I took those two boxes, some felt wads, and a tin of Remington #10 caps.

There was next to nothing in the way of pistol cartridge ammunition, not one box of .38 special at any price.

I'm sure this current downturn in inventory is going to put a dent in this year's sales figures for them.

Chaz

B.L.E.
April 5, 2013, 07:32 PM
There happens to be Cabelas about a mile away from where I work. Buying muzzleloading or black powder supplies from them is like going to a ski resort to eat lunch. Other than cap and ball revolvers, "muzzleloading" in Cabelas means inlines, sabots, and Pyrodex/Triple Seven, in pellet form and 209 primers at double price because the box says "muzzleloading" on it.

There's just something fundamentally wrong about paying over a dollar a shot to shoot a muzzleloader.

Jo6pak
April 5, 2013, 10:34 PM
The closest Cabelas to me is the same way. Years ago, they had a large display and separate showcases for BP revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. But now they have next to nothing

blfuller
April 6, 2013, 10:03 AM
Same thing in my area. There was a display board with two Pietta's, an 1851 Navy and a Remington. Both were pretty pathetic looking, the Remington was missing the charging lever and the fit of the parts like the trigger guard and back straps were barely screwed on. If the display guns were representative of what they would look like I sure wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole.

They did have a good supply of black powder substitutes and ball's though.

Lots of bare shelves in the centerfire and rimfire ammo area with "see sales associates" tags on the empty shelves.

They had a goodly amount of used Mauser K98 rifles that were in bad condition that they were wanting around $500 or more each. Dirt filled about ever screw slot on them.

shafter
April 6, 2013, 01:15 PM
I think Cabelas is a great company that sells lots of great products I think their brick and mortar stores leave a lot to be desired. Their website and magazines have a great selection which doesn't exist at many locations. I guess they make up for this by offering free shipping to store locations.

Jo6pak
April 6, 2013, 03:52 PM
^^I agree.
I wasn't bashing Cabela's, just lamenting on the lack of BP selection at the stores:)

Boomer58cal
April 7, 2013, 05:16 PM
Part of the problem now days is just the shortage. The other main problem is Cabela's tries to cater to everyone. They're like a Swiss army knife. They can do lots of little things but they don't specialize in anything. No matter how big your store is you just can't specialize in everything.

bedbugbilly
April 9, 2013, 08:27 AM
I think you mileage may vary from store to store. The one closest to me has never been too impressive in regards to BP supplies. I stopped in one time to see if they had a "49 pocket Colt - they did. I took a look at it and it felt like it had gravel in the inside of it - the salesman was very confident when he told me that "it's supposed to be that way". Needless to say, it is probably still on the shelf.

I don't think you can fault them though on the lack of 38 spl. Ammo is short everywhere and has been as well as reloading supplies. It doesn't make any difference where you are . . . the shelves are pretty bare and if a store is lucky enough to get some in . . . you are usually limited to purchasing one or two boxes at a time. You can blame Washington for that . . .