PDA

View Full Version : Thrift store find

MarcB
March 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
I was getting dragged by my wife into a thrift shop last week. Found a funnel that I thought would work on my 50-140. Just tried it out and it works great. Now no more spilled powder. Best part was it was only 25 cents.

PetahW
March 22, 2013, 07:14 PM
There's other things in Thrift Shops for BP shooters & hunters.

I paid $3 for this leather bag, to which I added a strap and fru-fru to make a possibles/hunting bag

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/3026/dscn0801wp.jpg

And $1 for this - What used to be the hollow handle of a silverware butter knife, that I fiddled & added a spout to, so's I could have a priming horn (?) for my flintlock.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/8499/dscn0906l.jpg

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 22, 2013, 08:17 PM
Second hand stores are the best places to find pewter that I know of. Last time I visited one. Someone in the same frame of mind cleaned out its pewter shelf. Disappointed_:(. But I continued my search. HOLY Mackerel I found a full box of C0-2 cartridges (cheap) for my B/P barrel discharger._:eek:
The visit was still worth while after all._:)

Pahoo
March 24, 2013, 10:29 AM
There's other things in Thrift Shops for BP shooters & hunters.
PetahW
I have picked up bags, staps, beads, horn/antler, old knives that get turned into patch knives and once even found a capote. I'm always on the lookout for old wood handled and jig-boned knives. Have to admit that I do get some strange looks when I buy the leather handbags. I no longer bother to explain. By the way, that is a handsome Seneca. Is it a .45 or .36?

Thanks for the picture and;
Be Safe !!!

Doc Hoy
March 24, 2013, 10:46 AM
Thriftshops are a great source for 100% wool hats for use in making wads.

PetahW
March 24, 2013, 01:24 PM

.36 ? I wish...... :( Naw - It's a .45cal . :p (My state's hunting mandates " .40 cal & over for deer/under .40 cal for small game")

(Although I have a .36cal rifle, too - an underhammer ;) )

4V50 Gary
March 24, 2013, 02:27 PM
Wool hats for wads? Never even thought of that Doc Hoy.

Hawg
March 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
Yep old wool felt hats make good wads. I never find anything at the thrift stores around here. I paid a dollar for this huge old thick leather purse once. Was going to use it for knife sheaths. Got it home and cut into it and it was some kinda imitation leather:eek: Looked and felt like the real thing.:confused:

robhof
March 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
Hawg, someone must made it out of one of those Nauga hides!:D

Hawg
March 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
Nah it wasn't Nauga. I'm real familiar with that.

SIGSHR
March 24, 2013, 05:54 PM
At a thrift shop I purchased a "wooden rifle" for $25.00-25% off that day. It was a complete stock-with barrel bands swivels and buttplate for an M1903.

Beagle333
March 25, 2013, 12:18 PM
On my last stop at the Thrift Store, apparently the word has gotten out about pewter, because there were 3 other guys already there, walking around the picture frame and tea serving set aisle, discretely trying to scratch things with their thumbnail and trying to bend the corners to see if it might be pewter.

Pahoo
March 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Okay guys, Ya got me thar !!!
What is the attraction/usage for pewter. I know what it is and run into it, all the time. Just never gave it a second look or thought. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Doc Intrepid
March 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
+1

One of you guys loop me in on the pewter thing.

I know what it is - just not why you'd want it at thrift stores.

Beagle333
March 25, 2013, 01:06 PM
Pewter can be used exactly the same was as tin. (not roofing tin, or tin cans, there is a big difference. Those are actually coated steel).
Tin is expensive. Normally, bullet casters get tin from solder, which is expensive. Tin sells for about $8-$12/lb. Normally, making a bullet with any sharp ridges or several small lube grooves is much easier using a little tin in the lead mix. It breaks the surface tension of the lead and allows it to flow into the grooves better. (About 1.5-3% in the mix will do ya). So if you can get a couple of old pewter mugs, pitchers or picture frames at the thrift store for a buck or two, and end up with a pound of tin, you come out way ahead because then you don't have to buy solder! :D
Round balls or a round nose bullet with one nice big lube groove doesn't need it. But several bullet designs, especially rifle bullets, can have 3, 4 or even 6 small sharp-edged lube grooves that need some tin to get perfect fill-out of the bullet in the mold.

Something like these 358627s will benefit from at least 1-1/5% tin in the mix.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture_zps28435f91.jpg

PetahW
March 25, 2013, 01:07 PM

Well, for one thing - I've melted down pewter to pour a Hawken/any rifle forend cap/tip.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mF50nXyiLDs/TrblUzsWObI/AAAAAAAAAB4/5vBXhmvcMeo/s640/IMG_0653.JPG

Re-enactors can use pewter to make period buttons for their clothing & gear.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 25, 2013, 04:20 PM
PetahW: Did you make a sand cast for that end cap pictured? Very nice Sir.

Gee's did I find a honey hole today.
Sister-in-law called last night right during supper as usual. This time wanting to talk to me instead of her sister. Apparently she found another new thrift shop close to our house. While there she found a old silver colored heavy metal picture frame and a old single speed Bee Hive looking kitchen blender. "Well for the first time in years she peaked my interest gents.:eek:" I asked where she was shopping and was told.
This AM I and the wife took a deliberate ride to this new thrift shop for a look see. Wow!! a new undiscovered business close by. Low-and-behold not one but 2/ larger old heavy pewter picture frames and 1 small picture frame all still left on the shelf. All frames found were nice heavy old American made pewter casts. No Wilton pewter this time, thank Goodness.
Feeling lucky after cherry picking that pewter into my shopping basket. I started my search again. Holy Mackere another find!!. That Waring single speed Blender. Glass jar and all. (Not one of those now-a-days plastic ones.) All metal and made in N.Y.City that Waring was. 6/bucks was its asking price tag.

So at check out I had carried maybe 4 lbs of pewter and a heavy duty old work-horse of a blender (intended for grinding my charcoal) to the counter. Yep the whole Kitten-Kaboodle for 14 bucks. (How lucky can a guy get in one morning.:cool:)

Beagle333
March 25, 2013, 04:34 PM
That was quite a find! :)

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
PM in bound Beagle 333.

Hawg
March 25, 2013, 05:52 PM
Did you make a sand cast for that end cap pictured?

Poured on the stock would be my guess

I've poured a few butt caps and bolsters on knives but they didn't turn out that nice.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 25, 2013, 07:30 PM
Poured on the stock would be my guess

How would you not burn the wood stock doing it that way Hawg? (Sure was a nice looking addition to his rifle and well done looking also.)

Doc Intrepid
March 26, 2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks gents.

i learn something here each time I show up...

jspappap
March 26, 2013, 09:32 AM
Again I'm amazed at all the interesting and neat stuff I learn here. Thanks guys for your informative posts, keep them flowing they are great fodder for my feeble 70 year old mind. Another few weeks and my 50 cal. Hawken Kit will be done and I will post some pics. Its been great fun doing it. I'm seriously thinking about a pistol kit next, maybe an old Navy model. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Pahoo
March 26, 2013, 10:51 AM
Thank you Mrs. Beagle333 and all, for the input on Pewter. Although I don't pour it, gives me some more options on my M/L stuff. I've done a little homework and turns out that Pewter melting point is, 437 to 464 degrees F. Does that sound right as it's below the melting point of lead. ... :confused:

Years ago, I worked with an old Blacksmith and he poured a nose cap, into the stock. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

PetahW
March 26, 2013, 11:17 AM
For those interested, here's a link to a tutorial for pouring a pewter forend cap:

http://home.comcast.net/~illinewek/faqs/nosecap.htm

Mike Irwin
March 26, 2013, 11:27 AM
Most of my bullet patching material came from a thrift store that carried pillow ticking by the yard.

Beagle333
March 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
Does that sound right as it's below the melting point of lead.
Yes. That is why one must be careful to not get their pot too hot when casting with tin/pewter, or it will oxidize to the surface faster than the lead and the caster will skim it off as scum/dross and lose his precious metal. It must be fluxed back into the melt occasionally, rather than skimmed off. So if you are casting bullets with tin/pewter in the mix, try not to get the alloy over 700° for any length of time and you will cast it faster than you are losing any appreciable amount to oxidation.

4V50 Gary
March 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks PetahW - I poured a pewter nose years ago and was inclined to do it again for my brother's squirrel rifle.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 26, 2013, 09:13 PM
I guess you were right after all Hawg._:o Pewter is poured over the stock. Who'd ever think it was done that way without cooking the wood. Again I learned something new_:)

Beagle333
March 30, 2013, 08:25 AM
Oh Dear! The wife awoke this morning and announced that she would like to tour the 3 Thrift stores in the area, looking for a new picture for the wall in her office, and she would like me to accompany her. I reluctantly agreed to this torture, ("*whine* Honey, do I gotta? ") provided that her concession would be that I get tomorrow afternoon to go shooting and can put off chores until later. She agreed. So, I must go do this arduous task of strolling around Thrift stores (oh, the horror!), but in return for my suffering, I do get rewarded later. ;) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

4V50 Gary
March 30, 2013, 10:30 AM
Pick up pewter Beagle333. I am. Just don't go to my favorite store in Walsenburg. ;)

4V50 Gary
April 3, 2013, 09:21 PM
Bought some screwdrivers for a little over 50 cents apiece. I'm going to forge and hammer them into inletting tools. Cheaper than buying tool steel too. :D

Beagle333
April 3, 2013, 09:50 PM
I scored about 3 pounds worth of picture frames and a mug, for a total of $6.91, :D so it was worth going. They did have quite a bit of pewter between the 4 stores we stopped at, but it would have averaged out to $8-9 per pound as priced. It would have been worth it if I had been out of tin and needed some, but I was just shopping ahead for deals.