PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Globe sight quality

blfuller
March 18, 2013, 02:51 PM
I have a H&R trapdoor officers model and I was toying with the idea of replacing the front sight with the Pedersoli Globe sight. This is the one that folds down to give you a regular blade type front and has the brass globe that fits a 3/8" dove tail. Or would it be better to switch to the Lyman with interchangeable inserts? I mostly shoot off the bench with this rifle. Please let me know your thoughts.

Pahoo
March 18, 2013, 03:39 PM
Currently only own two lymans and they have provided great performance. As far as Pedersoli, have no doubt that they too could proved equal performance. I have other Pedersoli products and they are good. Can you proved a link to the Pedersoli's you are looking at? I suspect the Pedersoli's are more expensive ?? ... ;)

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-accessori.asp/l_en/idt_10/accessories-front-sights-e-inserts-set.html

Be Safe !!!

blfuller
March 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
I think the Lyman is more because of the different inserts. I'll be using this with the H&R factory tang sight. This is the sight in question...
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzb15z-8LSJsjw3fPoDGQ0KHeRqfm1vRsm4smvpMQ74xPOSkC8

Jim Watson
March 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
For target shooting, get the Lyman (or other) globe front sight.

I have never seen anything that the Beach Combination type sight was really good for. If I hunted with the rifle, I would want a plain blade (a blade made out of a real copper penny well rubbed up is good) and could then just smoke it for target shooting.

TomADC
March 18, 2013, 05:33 PM
I put some white nail polish on the back of my H&R Officers model and that made a world of difference and how it shot for me.
The folding tang sight on H&R isn't the best IMHO.

blfuller
March 18, 2013, 07:23 PM
I'd like to be able to replace the rear with a vernier type tang sight that can be readily adjusted for windage and elevation. Preferably something that would mount to the existing base. The only thing I do with this rifle is target shoot.

TomADC
March 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
This is mine it came with the tang sight shown.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/370401695.jpg

blfuller
March 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
Yes, mine has the same setup. I don't care for it because you don't have repeatable adjustments like moving up 4 clicks or a couple of clicks for windage and back to your zero point.

TomADC
March 19, 2013, 04:43 PM
Right it looks good but sort of mickey mouse.

blfuller
March 20, 2013, 02:31 PM
This is mine it came with the tang sight shown.

Did you fill the engraving with gold? How'd that turn out?

TomADC
March 21, 2013, 02:28 PM
No mine is the 100 anniversary model it came that way. That is why it has the brass plate mounted on the stock.

blfuller
March 21, 2013, 04:30 PM
Mine is also a 100 anniversary model but it did not have the gold fill. I bought mine used so maybe the original owner removed it.

Doc Hoy
March 21, 2013, 05:03 PM
I am getting prepared for the purchace of a Sharps replica. I m interested in reading about the merits of the tang sights from various manufacturers.

How about a replica telescopic sight?

Any thoughts?

TomADC
March 21, 2013, 05:40 PM
Blfuller, my dad bought two of these consecutive serial numbered, when he died I took one and my brother ha the other which is unfired. Both have the gold fill so maybe my dad idi it?

Jim Watson
March 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
Doc,
Period style sights are a case of getting what you pay for.
They are precision products with a low production rate, so cost of good ones is high.

I used a Shaver Soule conversion for a while. The Shaver windage was fine, the imported elevation and eyepiece were marginal. My mentor said that I stayed with it about a year too long, that my skill had exceeded its precision.

I have seen a few of the high end Pedersoli tang sights in use at BPCR matches but the cheap ones by them and others are usually just a disappointment to new shooters trying to get by for less money.

Most common are MVA, Kelley, Baldwin, and now Shaver Deluxe. If you have a Snover you have just about struck gold. The guys on the Shiloh board like Heilman and Kermit, too. The Red River (ex Parts Unknown from the Ukraine) are not bad.

The usual replica scope sight is a MVA. They make several lengths in the old long tube style and now a repro Winchester/Lyman 5A.
The Chinese Leatherwood Malcolm scopes have decent glass, but their mounts are pretty rough. Buffalo Arms has a package deal of a Leatherwood scope in American made DZ mounts.
I don't know if Parsons and RHO are still making long tube scopes, but you might find one on the secondary market.

blfuller
March 23, 2013, 03:24 PM
I picked up the Lyman 17A (AMI .495 height) and installed it with no issues what so ever. Didn't even have to put a file to it. Drove the old sight out and drove the Lyman in. I'm glad I went with the Lyman because of the interchangeable inserts. Sight picture is much better.

Now I need to load up some ammo and go to the range and sight it in.

Doc Hoy
March 23, 2013, 04:24 PM
Many thanks.

This is another post I am going to copy and save.

Hawg
March 23, 2013, 04:44 PM
Which one are you getting Doc? I've got this one coming.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/2qcfjux_zps23c4d1d5.jpg

Doc Hoy
March 24, 2013, 09:52 AM
I have my eye on a rifle in Dade City FL. It is a Uberti and the guy wants 1200.00. I have been visiting it over the last coupla weeks. He seems somewhat negotiable onhis prices.

Jim Watson
March 24, 2013, 10:38 PM
The biggest bargain in BPCR is the C. Sharps 1875.
$1370 sporter with open sights.
$1385 target, less sights.

Not as stylish as the 1874 but a fine shooter for less money and American made.

But then for $1750 they will sell you a Winchester Single Shot repro.