PDA

View Full Version : Folks just gotta shoot, I guess !!!

Pahoo
March 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
This is somewhat related to an earlier post by Deerslayer303 on the effects of the current guns and ammo insanity. .... :eek:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512733

In the past week, I've had two shooting associates and one unknown, contact me about having any M/L's for sale as well as any associated support materials. Knowing that I am an M/L instructor, they also want to know about attending one of my classes. It has really taken me by surprise and when I inquired why they were asking, they expressed what should be obvious to me. They want to save their ammo and feel that M/L's shooting is still fairly inexpensive as well as availabiltiy of material. So, looks like the insanity is continuing. Some of these folks have had little or no interest, in the past and are now interested. Go figure !! ;)

Have any of you had the same experience ???

Hang in there and;
Be Safe !!!

maillemaker
March 13, 2013, 02:27 PM
I switched to black powder 2 years ago because of the cost of shooting cartridge arms.

It was just a matter of speed. If I take a cartridge gun to the range and spend the afternoon shooting, that's 200 round easy.

With my BP gun I can shoot the same amount of time but consume a lot fewer shots. Plus with my BP guns I usually reclaim my lead in my bullet bucket. The bullet is half the cost of the shot.

Steve

kwhi43
March 13, 2013, 02:39 PM
That is exactly why I got into it back in 1961.

deerslayer303
March 13, 2013, 08:44 PM
Well I started this addiction RIGHT HERE on this fine forum. And well I shoot BP for the same reason as everyone else. No only is it MORE KEWL than a cartridge, but I can enjoy an entire afternoon, loading, trying stuff, and making smoke. But to answer your question. We were slow this last duty weekend. And I spent most of the afternoons talking to the guys at work about shooting b.p. They were quite interested. I showed them some videos and they were in awe of how accurate a plain round ball can be. So they are hopping the fence to our side for sure.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Have a cabin in Northern MN. Have someone taking care of it much of the year. So I don't hear what goes on allot of the time with my neighbors there. Last Fall after arriving a day early before B/P Deer Season start. I customarily after getting settled in. Take a ride down the road to visit with my neighbor and catch up on happenings. In years past those neighbors never bothered to hunt with B/P. This last year however. There were 14 of there family members standing & watching a couple others trying to sight their B/P rifles in. After a light conversation. I asked what's going on? Why the change? There was mention of too many hunters during modern rifle. And the costs to hunt (ammo, gas) prices were too high during those 2-weeks and 3-weekends making the trip up to the family farm. To costly for some of their younger nephews. I wasn't surprised to hear it also mentioned, it was much easier for some to get vacation time off their jobs this time of year. So as the times get harder. (costs higher, employers less accommodating, over crowded feeling ) Those folks found a way to adapt that suits all of them. Here I thought I would have the woods all to myself again. But, knowing I probably won't anymore. I'm happy for all of them that chose a different way to hunt. "Their good neighbors"

Doc Hoy
March 14, 2013, 03:11 AM
Creates a good mental picture.

maillemaker
March 14, 2013, 08:45 AM
And on the other hand I envision us hunting in a few years with spears. :(

Steve

Pahoo
March 14, 2013, 10:57 AM
And on the other hand I envision us hunting in a few years with spears.
I once read during an interview, Sitting Bull was asked about the decline of the buffalo herds and what would his people do? Basically he replied;

"When there is nothing left to hunt but mice, we will be hunters of mice; For we are Hunters."

When we have nothing left to shoot but slings, we shall shoot slings; For we are shooters. I've already started my collection. I also still have my old recurve. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 14, 2013, 11:52 AM
Doc: thanks for the compliment. "Better to tell all than leave others guessing":)

Pahoo: Like you. Still have the old Browning Mirage strung here. But the old wrist Im not sure of. Just another >tight spot in life.< _:(

Logan5579
March 15, 2013, 04:43 PM
I haven't fired a cartridge gun in 6 months at least and probably longer. Can't get ammo for any caliber I shoot, so whatever I put down the barrel I can't replenish right now. I'm exclusively a BP guy for now and maybe for good, and I actually don't get to shoot the bp guns as much as I'd like because I can't get caps anywhere right now. Cabelas cancelled my backorder so I bought everything the local GS had left and the manufacturers won't even let him put any on order right now.

Beyond my complaining about ammo supplies, I like my BP guns better anyway...give me a choice and I'll grab my 58 over my 1911 any day. There's an art to loading a C&B revolvers and it just isn't quite the same jamming a mag into the 45, ya know?

North East Redneck
March 15, 2013, 05:39 PM
Last range trip was Monday, shot about 40 rounds of 7.62x54, 20 rounds of .223 and Mom shot maybe a hundred .22s. I have enough rounds to last for some time, but those 160 rounds are not easy to replace. A year ago it would have been more like 500 rounds downrange.
So far (with the exception of caps over the last couple weeks) everything black powder is still in stock. I welcome new people to try muzzleloading guns. I like to see someone fire one for the first time and then get them into it.
I didnt think a few months back that the panic would effect front stuffers, perhaps I was wrong. Prices of cartridge ammo (if ya can find it) is going crazy. After all the crazyiness subsides, maybe there will be a huge second hand market for BP guns and related gear.

deerslayer303
March 15, 2013, 06:58 PM
After all the crazyiness subsides, maybe there will be a huge second hand market for BP guns and related gear.
I hope you are right! Because I'M READY!!! hehe. Then again, we may be like the UK, with the front stuffer being the ONLY firearm we can have.

brazosdave
March 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
I mainly shoot strictly black powder,although I do have a few cartridge guns. The wife and I do like our Uberti Hombres, I just bought her one to match mine, and I am getting a 94 Winchester, but my regular shooting, for many reasons, is my cap and balls, and traditional single shot pistols and rifles. I get much more enjoyment out of them, and as an earlier poster pointed out, I can shoot all day, where if I had several hundred cartridge rounds, I would be done much sooner.

44 Dave
March 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
I was shooting 44-40 bp yesterday, and thinking about how much work it is to shoot, clean and reload the cartridge amo. Not to mention cast size and lube the lead.
My cap and ball revolvers I will shoot a couple-3 cylinders, clean it and DONE!
Yes, smokeless cartridge is a little less cleaning time on gun and brass but the reloading time is in my mind as I shoot.

B.L.E.
March 16, 2013, 08:59 PM
I was shooting 44-40 bp yesterday, and thinking about how much work it is to shoot, clean and reload the cartridge amo. Not to mention cast size and lube the lead.

Just imagine if you were shooting a 1911 or a Glock, then you can also count the time spent on your hands and knees doing an easter egg hunt for your empty cases. You never realize just how well brass blends in with grass, sticks, and leaves until you look for it.

There's a reason my only semi-auto is a .22 rimfire.

deerslayer303
March 16, 2013, 09:14 PM
Oh gosh B.L.E., I couldn't agree more. That must be a P.I.T.B. I'm so glad I'm a wheel gun man. And when I start reloading again it will be for wheel gun, bolt, and lever. Right now the only semi auto I have is a CZ82 and when ever it does get shot the steel cased brown and silver bear will become one with the earth before too long :D