PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when... (Centare observation)

Willie Sutton
March 9, 2013, 10:15 AM
Don't you hate it when you get 4 of something on the bench, planning to keep the best 2 out of the 4, and then......

You slowly realize that..... all..... four.... are...... slightly.....different.......

And the "Collecting Gene" kicks in and that rather than adding a specimen to a collection, you now have yet another sub-collection... (yes, it's a sickness).

So,

Four Centares 1860's, all identical, right?

Nope.

Two different BBl markings.

One has no cylinder scene.

One is not cut for shoulder stock on the butt even though the frame cuts for the stock are there.

Strangely enough, three ARE cut on the butt for the shoulder stock but ALL FOUR are 3-screw and as such cannot accept the stock (meaning that three of them have the frame cuts and the butt cut, one has the frame cut, and ALL FOUR are three-screw).

Hmmm...... Mebbe the Centaur folks did not get ALL of the drawings from Colt... :rolleyes:

Still looking and poking. And yes... I'll still be letting at least one go.

Must.... stop.... collecting.....

Willie

Doc Hoy
March 9, 2013, 10:54 AM
Four is not enough Centaures

DoubleDeuce 1
March 9, 2013, 10:59 AM
Send them all to me. Then take a few aspirin and pour yourself a cup of coffee, maybe fix your favorite sandwich. I'll make the burdensome selection for you and return those I believe you should have. No charge.:cool:

That sort of reminds me of someone I know who was buying S&W revolvers because of the number of screws used to secure the side plate. There was no personal connection to them, family history or anything remarkable or outstanding. The guy just thought screws were cool. He has several of them, all the same except for the number of screws.

woodnbow
March 9, 2013, 12:01 PM
LOL @Willie... I have three now... one is on it's way to the smith for an action job, one is in the safe and one is on it's way from California... an embarrassment of riches. :rolleyes:

BTW, all have the cuts on the recoil shield and butt, none are four screw but didn't the Centaure buttstock fit the three screw frame? :confused:

Willie Sutton
March 9, 2013, 01:20 PM
Any buttstock will fit a three screw frame... they just don't attach securely... (one of mine came with the stock too... )

Funny that they did not get that detail right. Really... odd. Obviously they did not fully study the originals.

Willie

Bootsie
March 9, 2013, 01:37 PM
Well Willie ... check out the Centaure
# Regular New Model Army or 1st Model, and it's variations and sub-variations: 3 screw frame, with notches in the recoil shield,
with or without toe on the butt, plain cylinders or cylinders with different types of naval scene
# Civilian Model: the one without notches in the recoil shield and no toe on the butt, naval scene on the cylinder with less background details then the Ormsby scene, silver plated TG/BS
... on the MODELS &A VARIATIONS page of www.1960nma.org
... or email me pics at [email protected] and I will let you have their model/variation/sub-variation nomenclature in line with the Coppell classification.
Have fun and and enjoy the Centaure virus.
Long Johns Wolf aka Bootsie

Smokin'Joe
March 9, 2013, 01:43 PM
Not all Colt M1860s had four screws. Some had three screws and an optional hammer screw that stuck out a little on each side that helped secure the stock.