PDA

View Full Version : Gun show.

spitpatch
February 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
dscno138]I am far from an expert in the cap & ball pistols. I got a navy arms 1861 navy .36 for 145.00. Very nice gun. looks like it was well cared for. 5 1/2 barrel. Is there a way to tell who made it? I did some research and every one I came across had the 7 1/2 barrel. :) Tried to put a photo.

deerslayer303
February 25, 2013, 10:26 AM
sounds like a nice score. But your pic didn't show up. From what I gather, seems the experts here are generally happy with their Navy Arms Repro's. Now fix that pic! :)

Doc Hoy
February 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
Steel or brass frame?

If you don't find A.S.M. or Armi San Marco on the barrel under the loading lever, (and you probably won't), then look for DGG in a triangular arrangement under the grips on the grip frame. You have to take it apart to find it.

DGG is Armi San Paolo. I Think slightly better manufacturer than their competition.

brazosdave
February 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
I have a brass framed Navy arms Griswold and Gunnison. Except for the markings from the importer on the barrel, there were no other numbers, etc, except on the cylinder. that was where I found the proof house marks, the serial #, and at the back end by the nipples, the Pietta symbol. As far as quality, the Griswold is not the nicest or most expensive gun I have by any means, but it is my most often shot. I just like it.