PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

falconer
December 30, 2000, 02:20 PM
TheBluesMan and I went to the range this morning. We had to test out his Christmas gift, a Colt HBAR. We put about 50 rounds through the AR and about 75 through my SKS (which now finally feeds surplus hollowpoints reliably due to a little work I did on it).

On a side note. I thought I would mention that thebluesman recieved this fine rifle from his step-dad. Anyone else think that he should refer to him as Dad from now on? I know I would.

George Hill
December 30, 2000, 03:53 PM
How did the HBAR do on the range?
I dont know about Dad... Father might do fine - but Dad is a bit more personal... maybe if it was an FAL...

TheBluesMan
December 30, 2000, 04:38 PM
You beat me to it, Tom. I was just coming in here to post something.

WOW! What a fun gun! :) It is definitely more accurate than I am. ('course that ain't sayin' much.)

The rifle had been fired before, (I may not have used it if it were) but had never been sighted in. Started out shooting about 4-5 inches low and about an inch to the right of POA. And this at only 25 yds! :eek: (indoor range)

I lowered the front sight and adjusted the windage knob and just about have it set where it should be. Gonna wait to fire it outdoors from a bench rest at 100yds before I finalize things.

Plus I'm still getting used to using peep-sights. They're weird, but I'm getting to like them. Fired a pattern about 1" horiz. and 2" vert. without a real bench rest.

Falconer's SKS fed the surplus ammo just fine thanks to the dremel work. I think we were shooting FMJ this morning. I don't know how the HP would do, though. We'll have to try that next time.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting an SKS to feed hollow points reliably?

The only recommendation I have for next time is a little less coffee for breakfast than we had today. Falconer must be a great shot to bullseye those varmint targets so well, even with his barrel shaking so much. Caffiene is not your friend. ;):D

falconer
December 31, 2000, 12:07 AM
Dave, I was shooting hollowpoints this morning. I only shot a box of FMJ, the other two were HP's. Either the dremel work or the magazine adjustment fixed it.

Whats this about Caffiene not being my friend? I'm a college student for pete's sake!@! I live off of caffiene. And either way, that was one dead groundhog. Now, if I could just get the one in my backyard to show his face long enough for me to get outside with my rifle :)

Anyone have suggestions for setting up an outdoor range? Our family has 330+ acres of land in southern Ohio and Dave and I were discussing building one down there.

Hal
December 31, 2000, 08:06 AM
:) Cool!

Whoa, a rifle at an indoor range? The only one I know of that allows that around here is Pro Gun. hehe, you weenies couldn't take the cold huh? ;) (He says as he braces himself for the last trip of the year to Kelbley's OUTDOOR range)(And yes, HOT caffeine is going to be my dearest friend in about 2 hours ;) )

falconer,
The NRA can give you all the details for setting up an outdoor range.

falconer
December 31, 2000, 11:20 AM
Actually, We were at Pro Gun. It was recommended to me a few years ago by some of the guys from my kung fu school. I ended up making my first gun purchase there. Such a shame the ole Stoney doesn't work there anymore (I've known him since I was about five).

Hal
December 31, 2000, 12:51 PM
Try Hunter's Lodge in Tallmadge. (the old Russo's)

falconer
December 31, 2000, 04:01 PM
I know he's at the hunter's lodge now, I think it was James who told me. I just don't like that place very much. My dad used to take me there when I was a kid(thats how I know Stoney), but John let the place go before he ended up closing. Actually, I found out the other day that Russo was my friend's uncle. Small World eh?

1S1K
January 1, 2001, 09:29 PM
Talk about a small world. My dad use to take me to Russo's as a kid. A few years ago I started working with Paul Russo.

If my stepdad gave me an HBAR I would call him what ever he wanted. I have been trying to talk my stepdad out of his 284 win for a few years now. No sing of it yet!