PDA

View Full Version : Helping People Understand the Issues ... What is an assault rifle?

Amsdorf
December 31, 2012, 09:36 AM
MAC, did a great job on this one folks, very clear and to the point explanation of how foolish the proposed bans are.

http://youtu.be/8C-CLsMRcA0

Aguila Blanca
December 31, 2012, 04:35 PM
Irrelevant -- Feinstein isn't using the term "assault rifle," she is using the term "assault weapon." We know the difference, but most people don't ... and trying to explain that there IS a difference almost automatically comes across as either overly defensive, overly technical, or just too "inside baseball."

Amsdorf
December 31, 2012, 04:37 PM
Some people would rather light a candle than curse the darkness, or whine on Internet forums.

:)

Aguila Blanca
December 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
And some people prefer to combat ignorance with information rather than sheer mass of verbiage.

Amsdorf
December 31, 2012, 09:43 PM
yes, they do, Aquila, you ought to give it a try sometime, unless you consider commenting on a gun forum nobody reads but true believers "doing something."

:)

jimbob86
December 31, 2012, 09:52 PM
yes, they do, Aquila, you ought to give it a try sometime, unless you consider commenting on a gun forum nobody reads but true believers "doing something."

Oh, I heartily disagree: There is a lively debate thread going on over whether the 2nd Amendment confers and individual right to keep and bear arms, despite the Heller Decision ..... even when we win, we have people here that say we are full of it .....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510609

...there's even a pro-government guy that sez the whole reason for the militia was so the fledgling US government could put down rebellions!

Only "true believers"? Really?

If members of this forum can't even agree on the 2nd Amendment ......

BGutzman
December 31, 2012, 09:59 PM

Just because you may limit your conversations concerning guns to this forum doesn't mean that everyone does. What you have found is a point of interest we all agree on and it is up to each of us to serve our rights in the way the befits our talents, budgets, experience and time. Aquilia and I may not agree on everything but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot to bring to the table. You should be more generous in your comments and I often have the same need... We have all kinds of good people in this forum and a little generosity would go along way, and I need to take my own advise..

I assure you I find new pieces of information and wisdom in this forum and I can assure you Aquilia's heart is in the right place and I have no doubt he does things in his own way to support our rights.

Aguila Blanca
January 1, 2013, 01:00 AM
I assure you I find new pieces of information and wisdom in this forum and I can assure you Aquilia's heart is in the right place and I have no doubt he does things in his own way to support our rights.
Thank you, Sir.

Given that the positions of both my U.S. Senators and my U.S. Representative are staunchly anti-gun and are etched in granite, I prefer to "Think globally and act locally." I have engaged my state representative and senator personally, face-to-face, on RKBA issues, and I am currently the de facto lead PITA in pressuring my town to repeal or at least amend an unsupportable and incredibly poorly crafted anti-gun ordinance.

As to "assault weapons," it's a term that has no defined meaning but is thrown around my the anti-gun politicians as a way of confusing the fence-sitters into actually believing that the Bushmaster used by the shooter at Sandy Hook is exactly the same as the M4 carbines carried by our military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. If we allow them to control the terms, we allow them to control the discussion. That's why I believe it is important for us to always use accurate terminology. If we can't be accurate among ourselves, how can we ever hope to eradicate confusion among the fence-sitters?

Tom Servo
January 1, 2013, 01:06 AM
This started as a borderline drive-by and then turned into bickering. Lights out.