PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to BOYCOTT Dick's Sporting Goods?

rajbcpa
December 18, 2012, 07:22 AM
Apparently, the management of this company does not believe you should own guns.

It has decided to pull all guns from it shelves in stores close to CT. In addition, it may decide to stop selling so-called assault weapons nation wide.

This is a stupid response to a madman who committed mass murder.

GUNS DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

CowTowner
December 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
If I were a customer of Dick's, I go into the store and make my opinion known to the manager and ask how to contact corporate. Losing sales will cause them pause at the very least.
If after that they still want to follow this path, then take your business elsewhere.

HILLBILLY-06
December 18, 2012, 08:10 AM
Definately Boycott the heck out of them, they like so many others are in denial. They are not placing the blame where the blame belongs. "Its a criminal act" caused by a murderer. It aint the guns fault.

Double Naught Spy
December 18, 2012, 08:25 AM
Geez, just boycott most of the US businesses and stop the madness of these threads. After all, just about every major corporation is anti-gun on some level. Few sell guns, so they must all be anti-gun, right? That is the basis for this boycott. Dick's in CT has stopped selling guns and so they are now anti-gun because they don't sell them. Next, most national, regional, and local multi-store/facility corporations do not allow employees to carry at work. Some don't allow patrons to carry.

If you don't want to shop there, fine, but these pathetic attempts to rally people together to harm a business because you don't like what they are doing just does not make sense.

Anybody have a list of the anti-gun business boycotts that have worked?

Apparently, the management of this company does not believe you should own guns.

It isn't about us and as soon as you understand this, the better. That Dick's decides to not sell guns in CT isn't because they don't believe you should own guns. It is because they believe they should not sell them there at this time. I don't know why this would be so hard to understand. After all, it isn't like Dick's has stopped gun sales everywhere and issued a statement that they have decided nobody should own guns.

Given the number of companies that have some sort of anti-gun policies, it might be a lot easier to start a list of corporations where we can shop that are 100% pro-gun than having these calls for places we should boycott. The list will be shorter, very short. Then we would know to just boycott everything else.

Have fun trying to get gas, most of your food, building supplies, and even buying from many of the dealers from which you already purchase gun gear becauase they don't allow their employees to carry and so are anti-gun.

bigalshootmupper
December 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
So, you would still shop at a store that you really disagree with?

Dick's stop selling guns due to this incident is believing that the gun was responsible for the deaths. I disagree that it was the gun's fault, so I disagree with Dick's position and I will not shop there ever again.

I really wish everyone would have a intellectual discussion on the real root cause of these type incidents. The root cause is never the tool's fault. The real root cause is the person or action behind the tool.

Not identify the root cause and fixing the root cause will have recurrence of these incidents. Banning sales of certain guns, as Dick's did, will do nothing.

Webleymkv
December 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
OK, so suppose we boycott Dick's Sporting Goods and, as a result, they go out of business. That means that there's simply one less place to buy guns and ammunition. It seems to me that this would probably be exactly what the anti's want isn't it?

Patriot86
December 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
Stories like THIS are why dicks and others are pulling guns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249781/Connecticut-store-Sandy-Hook-gunman-Adam-Lanza-tried-buy-rifle-huge-sale-ammunition.html

The media is in all out blame the gun and bully corporations into abandoning guns mode.

I mean I have read about 10 articles from across the nation which are basically trying to get people thinking HOW DARE GUN OWNERS GO OUT AND BUY GUNS AND SHOOT GUNS AND BUY AMMO AFTER THIS WHORIBLE SHOOTING!

Webleymkv
December 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
Stories like THIS are why dicks and others are pulling guns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mmunition.html

The media is in all out blame the gun and bully corporations into abandoning guns mode.

I mean I have read about 10 articles from across the nation which are basically trying to get people thinking HOW DARE GUN OWNERS GO OUT AND BUY GUNS AND SHOOT GUNS AND BUY AMMO AFTER THIS WHORIBLE SHOOTING!

Perhaps a boycott of such media outlets would be more productive.

JMP
December 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Very good post DNS, agree whole-heartedly.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what Dick's is doing. I actually respect them for it. If the kid had been wearing a very distinctive jacket that was splashed all over the news and stores pulled that jacket from their shelf so people upset about the tragedy didn't have to see it and kids wouldn't try to get it, would you still boycott them?. For showing a little respect to people that aren't necessarily antis but aren't gun people either?

Maybe its not the best example but to me its the same type of thing.

ChasingWhitetail91
December 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
I live in CT and helped my buddy purchase a shotgun there last week..

Tom Servo
December 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
This isn't directly related to civil rights, as Dick's is a private entity. Before closing, I'd like to say one thing, though.

They made a knee-jerk decision in the wake of of a horrible tragedy. There may be a time to address this in the near future, but that time isn't now.

Walking in and screaming at management over it is only going to make us look like jerks, and it will confirm to them that their decision was the right one.

Give it time, people.