PDA

View Full Version : chemical handwarmers

johnwilliamson062
November 30, 2012, 04:09 AM
Do you use them?

Anyone ever done comparison of brands?

Alternatives like zippo warmer, buddy heater, reusable, etc?

Do they have scent that scares wildlife?

Ben Towe
November 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hot Hands seem to work well. No scent that I'm aware of.

Mike Irwin
November 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
I've used a number of different handwarmer solutions over the years -- liquid fuel, solid fuel, and chemical.

The thing I like about the chemical packs is that they are very small and thin, weigh virtually nothing, and you can tuck them places where you can't put another kind of hand warmer.

The solid fuel ones are convenient, but they have a tendency to go out when you really need them.

The liquid fuel ones probably deliver the most heat, but they are also the largest. And fuel is geting to be quite expensive.

Double Naught Spy
November 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
I use the larger size Hot Hands, 4x5, and they do last a long time. The really small, glove-sized did not.
http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hand-Body-Warmer-Count/dp/B0007ZF4Q8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354280764&sr=8-2&keywords=chemical+hand+warmers

RobertInIowa
November 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
I also use the Hot Hands. The hand ones come in 2 sizes and there are ones made for your toes also. They work very well and I don't believe they leave any scent. I put them in my shoes, gloves and pants pockets. Keeps me very comfortable.

Backwoodsboy
November 30, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hot hands brand are the ticket for me as well, can turn an unbearable day around quickly

Brian Pfleuger
November 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
I use various HotHands models. I especially like the toe warmers. I put one on the bottom and one on top of my toes. Works great.
Also, the kind you'll find in drug stores that actually wrap around your body and are intended for muscle pain work really well for super-cold days. They're a bit pricey though.

On cold days, it's not unusual for me to have 8 or 10 HotHands products all at once. 4 on my feet, one for each hand a couple in front pockets, a couple in back pockets and a couple sticky types on my back.

Double Naught Spy
November 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
Brian, I tried the foot ones. I thought my toes were on fire! Then they got all sweaty and so my feet were on fire on the bottom of the toes, but sweating all over.

I sometimes do duct tape one inside the cuff of each pant leg of my coveralls. Sitting in the stand with my knees bent, I often get chilled below the knees, not just in the feet either. This helps quite a bit without feeling like my legs are on fire. It also helps stave off my feet feeling as cold.

Brian Pfleuger
November 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
They do get awfully hot if you're walking around. I'm pretty sure that the foot ones are made for low-oxygen environments and walking around keeps the air circulating and they get really hot. Obviously, your feet are also less cold when you're walking so it's a double whammy.

I have rather poor circulation in my feet and hands so they don't get too hot for me. My dad can't stand to use them on his feet either, says they get too hot.

I wish hunting season was late spring and early fall.:D

rickyrick
November 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Poor fellas, it's been in the 70's and 80' s.

I'm sure in New York, you might need a few more than here.

I've used them because it can get really cold in Texas too.

evilleprichaun
November 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
i have the zippo reusible one i really like it it stays really warm for virtually all day. the only down side is if ur holding it out it does kinda make the place smell like lighter fluid but when its in the pouch in ur pocket u cant really smell it , i would definitely recomend it

Smokey Joe
November 30, 2012, 02:14 PM
John Williamson--I've used the liquid-fueled ones for many years, and been concerned for the whole time about the odor. Never had proof one way or the other about the odor affecting deer or other game.

I've hunted with a bud who swears by the little chemical paks you can put into your boot, or into a glove. They have no odor, at least one I can detect, and he has been very successful over the years, both gun and archery hunting. My objection to the chemical paks is that they are a one-use item; you constantly have to buy new ones and dispose of the dead ones.

A different consideration altogether: In recent years I've been using a muff, rather than any handwarmer, with great success. It keeps the hands toasty warm; you leave it on your left hand (for a right-handed shooter) and hold the rifle up, and your right hand is bare, warm, and free to operate safety, bolt and trigger squeeze with no impediments. A pair of light gloves augments the muff, for use when hiking out to one's stand, etc. So that is the way I've gone. Haven't used a handwarmer of any type in the last 5 years at least.

plateshooter
November 30, 2012, 04:06 PM
I use the Jon E and now the Zippo liquid fuel type. I run Coleman fuel in mine. A gallon of fuel lasts a couple of winters for me even under heavy use.

I bought some of those snap types that you recycle by boiling them. They put out nice heat but it only lasts for a few minutes.

SPEMack618
November 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
I like the 4x4 Handwarmers and throw them in the bottom of my waders.

I will activate two and throw them in my waders as I'm getting dressed and put two fresh ones in right before I put my waders on.

johnwilliamson062
December 1, 2012, 08:34 PM
I have taken to hunting out of my chair blind. It is the easiest/safest to fall asleep in :) Since it is relatively small and enclosed I have generally just closed it up as much as possible with half length foam sleeping pad on the ground to insulate then open 3-4 chem warmers and drop them. The foam pad also eliminates leaf rustling. I bought a big box a while back and just ran out so I was thinking of trying something new. Bought a zippo and I am going to give it a try.

I also don't like the fact that the chem warmers are one use and throw away. If I hunt 20 days in the winter that is at 80 of them I am tossing in a landfill.

chewie146
December 1, 2012, 09:47 PM
It's activated charcoal for the hot hands, I believe. Wouldn't that absorb scent?

Double Naught Spy
December 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
If I hunt 20 days in the winter that is at 80 of them I am tossing in a landfill.

They are charcoal, iron, cellulose with a bit of water and salt. You can dump them on the ground and enrich the soil with them - no need for the landfill except for the pouch and packaging.
http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i4/Hand-Warmers.html

johnwilliamson062
December 2, 2012, 07:34 PM
NOt sure, but I think vermiculite has an MSDS sheet. Doesn't necessarily mean it is bad for the environment, but it probably isn't good.

JohnKSa
December 2, 2012, 07:51 PM
MSDS sheets are about the safety of the people using the product, they don't generally provide commentary on environmental impact. The MSDS for vermiculite, by the way, says you shouldn't breathe it or get it in your eyes because if you do either of those things it will cause irritation. Basically the same kinds of cautions one would be well advised to follow with any sort of dirt/clay/mineral/sand/etc.

The fact that a particular substance has an MSDS doesn't automatically mean it's dangerous. The MSDS might say that there are no hazardous ingredients and no special precautions for handling or use. And even if it is hazardous to breathe, for example, that doesn't automatically mean it has to go in a landfill.

Vermiculite is a special type of clay that is (among other uses) commonly recommended for soil conditioning--it is mixed with soil that is unsuitable or inhospitable to cultivation to improve its characteristics. So there's absolutely no problem with disposing of it outside of a landfill. In fact, in many areas, you're actually improving the soil by doing so.

Brian Pfleuger
December 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah, well... lots of things can have an MSDS

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927321

Legionnaire
December 2, 2012, 09:25 PM
I always carry several unopened pairs of Hot Hands in my backpack. Typically, the hike in keeps me warm for the first hour or so, but when extremities begin go get cold, I'll fire up a pair of the Hot Hands and stick 'em in my gloves. I also carry a couple of sets of toe warmers, which I will use in the same way. However, I've not hunted in conditions cold enough in the past couple of years to need the toe warmers inside my pac boots.

Gbro
December 3, 2012, 11:01 AM
I never used any hand warmers because i felt the oders might lessen my chances but there is very little evidence to suport this. I do however know that using unsented (perfume) soaps and keeping at least the outer garments out of the hunting shack and all the cooking smells have been helpful.
When it comes to an alerted deer, anything can ignite their afterburners!
I use Kirk's (http://www.google.com/search?q=kirk's+castile+soap&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=6su8UIivHo2E9QSY7oCgCQ&ved=0CDgQsxg) soap only for hunting and its getting hard to find locally. And its all-in-one bath and shampoo! nothing lathers like it in cold Rocky Mountain stream water. :cool:

klyph3
December 3, 2012, 11:56 AM
If you use, the chemical packs, look for the ones packaged in Mylar rather than plastic. They keep longer and are less likely to be duds.

Mike Irwin
December 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
Word of warning on the chemical handwarmers!

A friend just found this out the hard way and had to make a quick trip to the vet.

If you have dogs that like to chew, make sure you do NOT let them get hold of these devices!

If they ingest the contents, they can develop iron toxcicity.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/iron-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

sc928porsche
December 3, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hand warmers???? What will they think of next. Maybe electric socks. Must be the new generation. Back in my day we walked to school 2 miles in waist high snow, uphill, both ways.:D

Actually, I've seen them but never used any of them.

Zorro
December 4, 2012, 01:48 AM
Important note to High altitude and dessert use of them, they require both oxygen and moisture to work.

Had to show my brother this, 7500 feet + New Mexico means thin air and next to no humidity.

Mildly wetting the warmer made it work.

BigRick
December 4, 2012, 02:28 AM
Yeah, well... lots of things can have an MSDS

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927321

Non-hazardous in case of inhalation. Non-irritant for lungs. Non-sensitizer for lungs.

I think they're full of malarkey. If you inhale water it's definitely hazardous and an irritant for your lungs. They usually feel pretty sensitive afterwards too. :D

Double Naught Spy
December 4, 2012, 08:01 AM
NOt sure, but I think vermiculite has an MSDS sheet. Doesn't necessarily mean it is bad for the environment, but it probably isn't good.

LOL, from Wikipedia...

Soilless growing media: exfoliated vermiculite is combined with other materials such as peat or composted pine bark compost to produce soilless growing media for the professional horticulturalist and for the home gardener. These mixes promote faster root growth and gives quick anchorage to young roots. The mixture helps retain air, plant food and moisture, releasing them as the plant requires them. These mixes were pioneered by Boodley and Sheldrake

Seed germination: either used alone or mixed with soil or peat, vermiculite is used to germinate seeds. Very little watering is required. When vermiculite is used alone, seedlings should be fed with a weak fertilizer solution when the first true leaves appear. A tablespoon of soluble fertilizer per one imperial gallon (3.78 : 1) of water is the recommended mix

Storing bulbs and root crops: pour vermiculite around bulbs placed in container. If clumps are dug, allow to dry for a few hours in the sun and then place in cartons or bushel baskets and cover with vermiculite. The absorptive power of vermiculite acts as a regulator that prevents mildew and moisture fluctuation during the storage period. It will not absorb moisture from the inside of stored tubers, but it does take up free water from the outside, preventing storage rot.

As a soil conditioner: Where the native soil is heavy or sticky, gentle mixing of vermiculite up to one-half the volume of the soil is recommended. This creates air channels and allows the soil mix to breathe. Mixing vermiculite in flower and vegetable gardens or in potted plants will provide the necessary air to maintain vigorous plant growth. Where soils are sandy, mixing of vermiculite into the soil will allow the soil to hold water and air needed for growth.

As a carrier for dry handling and slow release of agricultural chemicals

As a growing medium for hydroponics.

Used as part of a substrate for fungi cultivation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

Vermiculite is also used for a variety of industrial purposes and is found in a variety of products.

chewie146
December 4, 2012, 09:27 AM
Zorro, good point. I've had trouble with them in NM without any moisture.

Mike Irwin
December 4, 2012, 11:58 AM
"If you inhale water it's definitely hazardous and an irritant for your lungs."

You inhale water with every breath you take.

It's called humidity. :p

johnwilliamson062
December 5, 2012, 03:28 PM
Spy,
Take a look at some of the chemicals used in hydroponic gardening. There are a whole lot of them I am not real interested in having around. Since everyone wanted to claim it was safe and didn't give what I considered a solid argument about it I decided to look it up. It seems in many vermiculite mines asbestos is also present. This issue has been resolved for the most part with those mines being idled since the early 90s, so it shouldn't be an issue for any newly produced items. There seem to be no other known health risks.

Of course, I think asbestos was held in high regard as a naturally occurring silicates with desirable properties and no health risk for about 75 years. Oops. How old are MSDS sheets? Can we dig up an old one for asbestos?

I have a small yard that is surrounded by concrete on all sides. I started pouring out the hand warmers there. I will see if there is any appreciable difference over time.

rickyrick
December 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
I use vermiculite often, it's in every potted plant. So look out its everywhere. Basically harmless, could have a remote possibly of have a trace amount of asbestos. Higher concentrations in more of your household items than in vermiculite. It's natural and it won't hurt to throw away.

Great high temp insulation for outdoor ovens and small back yard forges.

lefteye
December 5, 2012, 09:17 PM
I've tried different brands. For several years I've used only Hot Hands in gloves, socks and rarely in a waist band or pockets. They definitely help me tolerate colder weather when hunting from a tree stand.

BIGR
December 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
When its real cold I use the hot hands in my gloves and the toasty toes are attached to the bottom of my toes. I think they do help for sure.

Wal-Mart sells them of course.

BigRick
December 6, 2012, 08:15 AM
"If you inhale water it's definitely hazardous and an irritant for your lungs."

You inhale water with every breath you take.

It's called humidity.

My lungs are pretty irritated. Lots of humidity here in Afghanistan and back in Kansas. :D lol