PDA

View Full Version : muzzleoading question

LOUD
July 15, 2012, 04:37 PM
I was wondering , can you fire lead cast bullets and round balls in a modern inline muzzleloader (new Traditions vortek 50 cal ) or should I just stick to jacketed projectiles?...........LOUD

Hawg
July 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
You can use lead conicals but the twist rate is too fast for patched round balls.

Pahoo
July 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
or should I just stick to jacketed projectiles?
No, you don't have to be saddled with the cost of buying jacketed bullets. In fact, I seldom shoot them. Started out with cast lead practice, sabot rounds and basically this is what I now shoot. As a hunting round, I had some boat-tails from Cabelas that really shot great but they no longer carry them. I basically shoot a .44mag pistol lead bullet, in my "non-traditionals". I usually save my RB's for my traditionals. You can shoot an RB, out of a fast twist but you can't push them hard. Takes a little time to work this shot-string. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

B.L.E.
July 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
Fast twist barrels are used in many patched round ball shooting pistols but they typically use about 20-25 grains of powder and are loaded for about 800-900 fps. It's possible you may find a ball patch powder combo that shoots reasonably accurately in that rifle, you just gotta experiment a little. I would try a tight ball patch combo, something you gotta start with a mallet.