PDA

View Full Version : SuperVinci Barrel Length Reduction

CurlyQ.Howard
July 4, 2012, 02:21 PM
The Vinci is also offered in a 24" length barrel, but the SuperVinci is only offered in a 28" or 26" barrel. If I purchase a SuperVinci with a 28" barrel, can a gunsmith safely reduce its length to be 24"? Thanks.

g.willikers
July 4, 2012, 05:15 PM
Sure they can.
But what's so important about a few inches of length?
In addition to cutting the barrel, the tapered rib will have to be dealt with, along with replacing the front bead sight.
Maybe a different barrel would be a better choice, if available.
Another consideration is that shortening a barrel may change the point of impact.
The thin shotgun barrels aren't always perfectly straight their entire length.
The chambers and muzzles line up, but not necessarily the whole barrel.
Just a thought.

jmr40
July 4, 2012, 09:27 PM
Simple solution, buy the Vinci. Since the Super has 3.5" capability they probably view it as more likely used as a long range waterfowl gun, thus only offering it with longer barrels.

The Vinci stops at 3" capability and might be more likely to be used for upland game with lighter loads.

To be perfectly honest unless you are shooting 3.5" steel shot by the case you are better off with a 3" gun. The 3.5" shells are only a very slight advantage, and only in extreme cases where guys shoot geese at extreme ranges. For anything else they offer zero advantage. If you only take those shots on rare cases some of the other non-toxic shot in 2 3/4" or 3" actually outperforms the 3.5" steel. It does cost more, but for occasional use is a better choice.

CurlyQ.Howard
July 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
"Sure they can.
But what's so important about a few inches of length?
In addition to cutting the barrel, the tapered rib will have to be dealt with, along with replacing the front bead sight.
Maybe a different barrel would be a better choice, if available.
Another consideration is that shortening a barrel may change the point of impact.
The thin shotgun barrels aren't always perfectly straight their entire length.
The chambers and muzzles line up, but not necessarily the whole barrel.
Just a thought."
Mr willikers, Thanks. that's a sensible and informative answer.

LSnSC
July 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
If you want a short barreled Benelli semi auto, the M-2 is a more economical choice.

CurlyQ.Howard
July 6, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well, I'm sold on getting either a Vinci or SuperVinci for my next shotgun unless something even better comes along (yes, its looks are not classical, but pretty much everything else about it I like).

Virginian
July 6, 2012, 07:31 PM
A gunsmith can do it. No quicker way to lower the value of a 3-1/2" gun.