PDA

View Full Version : What would be the appropriate action if you see someone breaking into your car?

Forrest Summers
December 9, 2000, 08:42 PM
What would be a suitable thing to do if you see someone breaking into your auto/truck?

-forrest

animal
December 9, 2000, 09:38 PM
Depends on the State you're in. I understand that in Texas, on your property, and after dark, you could legally shoot the bugger where he stands. In some states you can use deadly force against someone if they are in the process of committing a felony.
I would attempt capture ... but I'm a little crazy.
I don't reccommend this to anyone. Things get a little flaky sometimes.

PDshooter
December 9, 2000, 09:40 PM
Thats simple! Call the cops. Its your Car! not a life! Not worth pulling out a pistol over. You will spend a HUGE amount of cash$$$$ for a defence. More then the car is worth! Now if he's comming through my front door. Thats a different story! 230grn lead is headed down range. Lights out!

Tim Burke
December 9, 2000, 10:05 PM
Call the police.
Call the insurance co.

TB., NC

glockten
December 9, 2000, 11:29 PM
I would shout STOP!!! at the top of my lungs(I can yell VERY loudly)with my hand on my still-concealed weapon. Most likely he would crap his pants and run like a scared rabbit, and that would be the end of it. However, I would be prepared for the alternative.

Glamdring
December 10, 2000, 01:51 AM
Laughter :D

STEVE M
December 10, 2000, 08:47 AM
Just to throw a wrench into this question. What if your car had say a shotgun in the trunk while they were trying to steal it?

C.R.Sam
December 10, 2000, 11:56 AM
Depends on the situation. If he/they be peaceful, keep them till the sheriff can arrange transportation. If they not peaceful, use appropriate alternate plan.

Response time for an attempted rape here a couple of years ago was about four hours. Last year it took fifteen minutes to get a 911 call through.

Sam

Nevada Fitch
December 10, 2000, 12:19 PM
Well, I know one thing, If I was a thief I could make a good living as long as everyone would just stay in their house or wherever they are and call the police and leave me alone to go ahead and take whatever I want.I will be gone before the police get there, and I will do it again the next night or when ever I need a little extra money.This is what is wrong with society today.If a thief knew that he would be confronted when caught and shot if he resisted there would be a lot less stealing going on and our women could walk down the streets of our cities after dark without worry.But it won't happen because we are too worried for our own personal safety and the finacial risk is too great. And that is why we are where we are at today.There are too few real men left today that will stand up and say " no! I won't put up with it".Too BAD.

[Edited by Nevada Fitch on 12-10-2000 at 12:57 PM]

nbk2000
December 10, 2000, 12:50 PM
The reason there are too few "real men" left is because most of them are sitting in prison for having done the right things and not being able to afford a decent lawyer to defend themselves.

Supersoaker prefilled with stiny sewage water would probably deter the buggers. I know I'd split if I was getting a face full of sewage water.

Bucket of cold (or scalding?) water. Bucket of gas with threat of matches would definately work, but might not go over to well with the law.

Fire extinguisher works very well. Aim for face if needed.

Shotgun in trunk? Wait till they break into the trunk and before they get the gun, blast them. Perfectly justifiable shooting since they were an imminent (spelling?) threat to your life. Wait till they actually touch it so their prints are on it.

WESHOOT2
December 10, 2000, 05:09 PM
Suggest "command voice"; tell BG(s) to "Stop right there, lay down, hands over head", etc.

LASur5r
December 10, 2000, 08:04 PM
Easy.
Here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, us commoners are not allowed to have CCW's...the best we can do is skulk in the shadows and use our cellphones. Oh yeah, and be a good witness.
Best we can do is use discouraging words...not disparaging words as we might be sued for slander in the PRK. Not too harsh, either as we might hurt the young people's sensibilities.
See? Isn't it a lot easier when the government gets to decide for you?

Gary H
December 10, 2000, 08:46 PM
Ahh..Take the insurance and trade up!

Clayton Hufford
December 10, 2000, 09:14 PM
Mozambique drill :D

navaho
December 11, 2000, 03:44 AM
Wait until they are in car with door closed. Use car remote to: lock doors, disable motor, and release tear gas. :cool: Call police to come pick up loser crook.

M1911
December 11, 2000, 09:47 AM
Here in MA, if you try some to act like a "real man," you'll end up in jail. On the other hand, in my yuppy suburb the police will usually arrive within two minutes or so. I've got a $500 deductible on my insurance. A decent attorney would probably want a $10,000 retainer up front. I'll be a little girly main and stay inside, call the police, and try to be a good witness. Frankly, my car is not worth possibly killing someone or losing my own life or spending time in jail.

M1911

[Edited by M1911 on 12-11-2000 at 12:59 PM]

iso1
December 11, 2000, 10:55 AM
Nevada Constitution

Article 1
Section. 1. Inalienable rights. All men are by Nature free and equal and have certain inalienable rights among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty; Acquiring, Possessing and Protecting property and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness[.]

Sec. 11. Right to keep and bear arms; civil power supreme.

1. Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes.

Given that, tell them to stop. If they refuse, well, that would be very bad for them.

Betty
December 11, 2000, 11:44 AM
I think I would call the cops and than creep up behind the jerk and whack him behind the knees with my baton. Then I would restrain him on the ground. He would most likely be gone by the time the cops come if I don't do anything, and I probably couldn't get my vehicle back until he robs a bank and crashes it into a couple of cars and a tree.

M1911
December 11, 2000, 01:02 PM
runt: Ok, so you're out there creeping up on the guy. But you didn't notice his lookout, who creeps up on you...

Or you creep up on the guy, step on a stick, he hears you pulls out a knife...

Is saving your insurance deductible worth taking these sorts of chances?

M1911

Betty
December 11, 2000, 01:41 PM
Where my residence is in location to my parking, I have the advantage of spotting most anybody before they spot me, especially if I go out the back door. Most of the surrounding area is pavement, which provides for silent maneuvers, and is lit well. Whatever maneuver anyone thinks about doing, it should be based on the particular situation and your skills. If there was more than one person, I would not do anything. I would however, take down one person if I felt that I could do so.

Should the would-be attacker whip out a knife, I have been trained with my baton to remedy that situation. I would also not venture out without my pistol anyways, should I have to use that.

My insurance deductible does not phase me. The money is not an issue. It is what the bad guy does after he steals my vehicle (he would be stealing my vehicle, since there is no CD player or anything worthwhile to steal inside the vehicle) that worries me. People who steal cars use them in crimes, such as drug dealing and robberies, getting chased down the highway by cops and causing car accidents and killing innocent people. I do not want that to happen with my truck. If I have a chance to stop something while it's small, than I will do so. I don't think I can bear to see a family of four on the six o'clock news who were killed after running head-on with the psycho who stole my truck.

I believe that:
A. You have the right to protect your property. (see C.)

B. You have the right to defend yourself in protecting your property.

C. You do NOT have the right to shoot anyone fleeing the scene. (I have to add this here, based on a recent incident where a business owner shot and killed a man who was fleeing after he broke in and stole from his store. I believe the right to defend one's property and person ends when the suspect flees.)

twist996
December 11, 2000, 04:37 PM
call the cops first, before confronting...coward or not, that's my car, on my property....i worked hard for it!! i'll be damned if i let some crack head make off with my stuff....i'll be careful about it, but....

Nevada Fitch
December 11, 2000, 10:02 PM
isoL, I like your post. I know that is not the way it is but that is the way it ought to be. Nevada

Johnny Got His Gun.1
December 13, 2000, 06:46 PM
Tell him to stop and get the hell away from my vehicle. The cops are on their way. If he decides to attack me over it, then I get to change tactics. My life/physical well-being are being threatened. I know what to do about that one, too.

Or I could always get a nifty car security system like the one in Robocop II. Electrocution behind the wheel.

Thumper
December 14, 2000, 02:49 PM
Yet another reason I'm glad to reside in the great state of Tejas...options here are so much simpler. Coupla years ago, some guy 86'd the repo man with a scoped .30-06. One shot -one kill. Defendant was declared not-guilty. Funny stuff, clayton...

Nevada Fitch
December 14, 2000, 07:51 PM
Thumper, Sounds like repomen in Texas might want to knock on the door first and inform the owner of the siduation before just stealing the car back.Sounds like the polite thing to do anyway.An armed society is a polite society or at least it ought to be.

iso1
December 15, 2000, 05:44 AM
NRS 200.120 "Justifiable homicide" defined. Justifiable homicide is the killing of a human being in necessary self-defense, or in defense of habitation, property or person, against one who manifestly intends, or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony,

NRS 205.2195 "Property" defined. "Property" means:
1. Personal goods, personal property and motor vehicles;

NRS 205.228 Grand larceny of motor vehicle: Definition; punishment.
1. A person who intentionally steals, takes and carries away, drives away or otherwise removes a motor vehicle owned by another person commits grand larceny of a motor vehicle.
2. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, a person who commits grand larceny of a motor vehicle is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
3. If the prosecuting attorney proves that the value of the motor vehicle involved in the grand larceny is $2,500 or more, the person who committed the grand larceny of the motor vehicle is guilty of a category B felony

NRS 193.240 Resistance by party about to be injured. Resistance sufficient to prevent the offense may be made by the party about to be injured:
2. To prevent an illegal attempt, by force, to take or injure property in his lawful possession.

NRS 193.330 Punishment for attempts.
(3) Attempt to commit a category B felony for which the maximum term of imprisonment authorized by statute is 10 years or less, for a category C felony
(4) Attempt to commit a category C felony, for a category D felony

The way the law reads, lethal force is justified in Nevada when preventing a felony from occuring.

But I'm not gonna be the one to test it.....:D

Cmc
December 28, 2000, 12:04 AM
I have the wife call 911 while I get a hold of my 870 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck. In florida you can not use deadly force unless he tries to get into the house.so I would open a window and scream at him to lay down on the ground while I pump a shell in the chamber and also the wife will be armed with a handgun for backup. If I am in the yard and the perp makes any sudden moves towards me after being warned he will know what a 230 grain hollow point looks like coming to you. In florida you can carry a weapon in your property concealed or exposed legally.
I happen to live in a corner house in very nice neighborhood but a neighbor told this was the house were a home invasion robbery took place years before I lived here
therefore I stay on condition yellow.
You all be safe
Happy new year

sedwards
December 29, 2000, 11:58 AM
Its your Car! not a life! Not worth pulling out a pistol over.

The reason there are too few "real men" left is because most of them are sitting in prison for having done the right things and not being able to afford a decent lawyer to defend themselves.

Did I somehow miss the gist of the American Revolution?

Did we go to war with England because the Red Coats were roaming the countryside, indescriminately killing passersby?

Did Patrick Henry say, "Give me life, or give me death"?

So, it's just a car. Your deductible is only $500.

So what if you've only got $2 in your wallet.

The object being stolen, or the value of the object, or the difficulty or expense at replacing it are irrelevant.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If you come for me (my property, my freedom, or my life) you'd better have a warrant. If not, then you'll have already made the determination of what your life is worth.

(If in doubt, refer to SIG -- hey, now there's a double-entandre!)

dent guy
December 30, 2000, 04:40 PM
Call the police. Then call my insurance company about that new 1000$ stereo "I had" in my car.:D

EnochGale
December 31, 2000, 12:43 AM
Geez - talk about armchair commandos.

Pump the shotgun as soon as you are able. If you wait to you get to me to rack it - I will be shooting you dead while you try to impress me.

Next - so you don't care about the money. Ok - you got between $5000-$100,000 to mount a defense.

If you don't, Bubba and/or the Bloods/Crips will be mounting you in the old jailhouse.

Nice to spout off nonsense on the Internet isn't it?

cuerno de chivo
December 31, 2000, 11:08 PM
FTR if your car is being reposessed, then you don't own it, and the reposessor isn't stealing it.

Killing or shooting people over property will get you charged everywhere and definitely get you convicted in some if not most places.

EnochGale
January 1, 2001, 12:07 PM
Guy in TX shot the repo man and got off given TX laws.
However, his life wasn't pleasant after that.

He might have killed himself but I'm not really sure of this
or I remember some other poor soul after a DGU that
went bad.

Cowtown
January 3, 2001, 07:42 AM
I am from the old school.

Lance Gothic
January 3, 2001, 09:38 AM
Brothers & Sisters-in-Arms,
One other point of note regarding Texas law and law enforcement. The DPS, (Department of Public Safety. Covers anyone certified as a "law enforcement officer" from Baylor Medical Security Officers to line-of-duty gendarmes.), seems to abide by taking the complaint of the first person that speaks to them and arresting the next person that speaks, or cannot speak, to them. Old West "Last Man Standing" interpretation of the law. Your 9-1-1 call makes you the 'first person'. A pocket video camera with sound is an excellent weapon...Take a picture - it'll last longer. Additionally, it supports your contention of the "conditions" in lieu of some defense attorney prodding you to explain, (and then for you to defend), just what "dimly-lit", as well as "other conditions", means as though you carry a weatherman and a professional photo-journalist with you.
When it's "up to the court to decide"...make them do THEIR job!
By-the-bye: If/when you were to sing out that the perp needs to vacate the premises and he shoots you, his defense will be a "self-defense" pleading by that counsellor mentioned above. "Your Honor. My client believed that his life was in imminent danger from the decedent. Ergo, he defended himself with whatever means necessary."
Evidently there is a large grey area regarding just what form of excessive litigation all this can take. (Not that I would know anything about grey!)
Charged if you do and charged if you don't. Gives being a victim a whole new palette, hmm?
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

ninenot
January 3, 2001, 09:42 PM
Another alternative is to do what I do: 2 nine-year-old nondescript vehicles (Buick sedan, 12-pass. Dodge van) and a 22-year old Chevy pickup which evidently stood outside during some heavy shelling practice. Nobody wants any of them. Chevy has 4.10 pumpkin and 300+HP, 325ft-lb 350CID. Fastest junk in the township.

Lance Gothic
January 4, 2001, 12:33 AM
Ninenot,
Then, too, there's always Lo-Jack!
(http://www.lojack.com/)
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Cowboy Preacher
January 4, 2001, 10:13 PM
Runt you say the right to defend you property ends when the crook flees. I feel sad that you belive that way I say we owe it to the people we love to try to run these animals down and take them out like the dogs they are.

ArmySon
January 7, 2001, 01:57 PM
I would call the police. That way, when I call the insurance company, the situation is on file with the police dept.

swestby
January 9, 2001, 03:07 AM
Twenty some years ago, fresh out of the Marines and back at home, I awoke to the noise of someone breaking into my brother's little blue Datsun. What actually woke me was the sound of the idling getaway car with a driver inside.
About 4:00 AM, no firearms handy, with more guts than brains, I opened the sliding window and yelled "You better get out of that car or I'll blow your (insert profanity here) brains out!"
The BG in leaning in my brother's car bashed his head trying to stand up while still inside. The driver of the getaway vehicle started heading down the street with his buddy madly running after him.
Called the cops, described bad guys as best I could considering I only saw the backside of one and outline of the driver. Good description of the car, though. Cops had an idea who it was. Never saw them again in the neighborhood.
The USMC had strict rules for the use of deadly force against criminals during the 70's. That situation (granted it was civilian, state of Oregon, maybe different) would not have qualified. As it was, the nearest firearm was my Dad's 16 ga. shotgun, and I didn't think to retrieve it.
Sure was a lot of fun watching the bad guys run away, though. I had to hose off the parking strip in front of the house afterwards. Biological hazard.

Steve Westby