PDA

View Full Version : S&W 66(19) vs S&W 686.

Sling Shot
December 3, 2000, 07:16 PM
Differences and opinions appreciated.
Sling Shot

swampgator
December 3, 2000, 08:21 PM
M-19/66: K Frame, designed with input from Bill Jordan for a law man's .357 that was easier to carry than the larger N-frame.

M-686: L Frame, designed as intermediate between the K frame and N frame. Same grip profile with a larger cylinder and overall "beefier" frame.

In the late fifties and early sixties little thought into actually firearms qualification for law enforcement. You fired .38s and carried .357 (some actually carried .38s). In the mid seventies it became appearant for the need to qualify with what you carried. The K frame when exposed to a heavily prolonged diet of Magnum ammo could not hold up.

Thus S&W introduced the M-586/686 to combat break downs experienced with the M-19/66.

In my opinion the K frame is probably best suited for the average owner who shoots very little, or shoots a lot with lower powered .38 ammo. It is lighter, although given what most people carry in addition to firearm, I'm not fond of the lighter is better philosophy.

The L frame shines when using .357 and shooting a lot. The would make a better candidate for a carry gun that will be shot a lot, as well as a competition revolver.

Gator

alamo
December 3, 2000, 09:12 PM
i have both. if you're gonna shoot magnum a lot, get the 686. i use my 66 for as a primary home defense pistol. i keep it loaded with federal 158 grain SWC hollowpoint .38 +P.
if i had to keep just one, i would keep the 66 as my wife
can use it better than the 686 and i just don't shoot
magnum much at all. i am much more accurate and comfortable with .38 +P.
both are great guns, you can't go wrong either way.

dreadnaught
December 4, 2000, 09:14 AM
The 66 has the best "feel" of any six shooter I ever played with. The 686 is stronger though. I no longer shoot 357's from my 66 "cause I want it to last forever. I already shot it so much the whole cylinder fell out. Embarassing, to say the least.

branrot
December 4, 2000, 10:25 AM
I'm considering both, actually. The 66 in the 2.5 inch barrel, and the 686 in the 4 inch barrel. I like the full underlug in the 4 inch 686, but 2.5 inch 686 is just too big for a "snub nosed revolver". The 4 inch 686 has one of the most comfortable grips I've ever held.

mikey357
December 4, 2000, 10:25 AM
I have to agree with dreadnaught...the Model 66 has an almost sensual "feel" about it...perfect balance, pleasing lines, etc. Having said that, I usually shoot better...especially in DA...with the L-frame 686...probably because of the additional weight AND because most of the additional weight is up-front. I think for carry, especially concealed, the 66 is an easier piece to wear day-in and day-out. IF one is going to shoot a lot of Magnum ammunition, I think that the L-frame will hold up quite a bit better in the long haul...I've got a Model 19[blue version of 66] that I purchased new in mid '70's...it went back to the factory in about '79 or '80 to get "tightened up", after about 2,500 rounds of factory Mags and 10,000 or so .38's. My early '80's 586[blue version of 686] has had several times that amount of ammo thru it and its still going strong...just starting to get "broken in"!!!....mikey357