PDA

View Full Version : Driling into Fire Proof Safe -- Pegboard Interior

Psychbiker
April 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
I have an old double door military safe. Its probably 1500lbs and a 2 hour fire rating.....when new. Not sure if the 2 hour is still the case.

I was thinking about hanging pegboard on the doors the be able to hang guns and what not. My door do not have panels so I would have to screw into the interior of the door.

Good idea or bad idea? Will this affect the fire protection of the safe?

I could figure out how to secure the carpeting for velcro I suppose.

Yung.gunr
April 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
What do you plan on putting on the pegboard? I would not drill into it... Those 3M command adhesive strips are amazingly strong. Plus, I'm sure there is stronger stuff. If it is not going to be too heavy I would use some kind of adhesive.

That's just me though...

a1abdj
April 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
Do you have a photo of what you're talking about?

If you're talking about drilling into the insulation itself, it will not hold much weight (if any at all). The fill material in a typical document safe is fairly soft.

UtopiaTexasG19
April 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
There are numerous adhesives on the market with industrial strenght that would easily hold the peg board and weight added. Go to your local big box store and look into "Liquid Nails" or something similiar...

Fishing_Cabin
April 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
I agree with others it would not be a wise idea to drill into the safe. If it use a steel liner of a good thickness it may not be an issue, but if it has no liner, or it is to thin, it is a problem. I prefer not to drill a safe at all for mounting anything.

I would look for adhesive of some sort, clean the area well, and install the pegboard.

kilimanjaro
April 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
I've been using Liquid Nails and Liquid Steel for decades, indoors and out. You can mount your pegboard on 3 or 4 metal horizontal strips, then glue the metal to the metal. It will hold. Sink the bolt heads.

If the safe interior is still attractive, I would not use the pegboard. Instead, get a sheet of 3/8" hardwood plywood, cut to fit, glue on a wood strip around the edge, drill your custom hole pattern, insert wood pegs, and stain/finish it up nicely, then mount as above. You'll get more enjoyment out of it, too.

Psychbiker
April 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
I sort of did that but used 3/4 melamine and pieced it together. Counter sunk some screws so when I wrap it with felt its clean. Of course my father who is a contractor wants to tear it all out and start over but then my time and $20 in wood will be tossed away. I plan on covering it felt tonight.