PDA

View Full Version : Older 1100 for ducks

baddarryl
February 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
Sorry guys I don't mean to be redundant, but it seems my other thread has run out of steam. :eek:. Will my 2 3/4 non steel shot, 28 mod choke barrel be adequate for Eastern duck? I know they were back in the day maybe. The reason I am asking is whether or not I 'need' a waterfowl combo for a Turkey gun I am going to get or if it is a waste of money for the extra barrel. Thank you all as always!

Pahoo
February 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
Will my 2 3/4 non steel shot, 28 mod choke barrel be adequate for Eastern duck?
I've never read that the older 1100 barrels are not suitable for steel shot. I would recommend that you contact the factory and see what they say. Also might consider going to a full choke barrel. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

baddarryl
February 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
It is a 1979 and someone on this forum told me not to shoot steel through it. Seems like I read that in a reloading book or something too. As much as another barrel would cost with Rem choke I might as well get that combo and keep this as a field/skeet gun. That's what I am trying to figure out. Guess my question is, what is the normal choke used for ducks?

Salmoneye
February 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
'Normal' choke for ducks depends on what type of shot...

Mod back in the days of lead was great over dekes...Most people went to Full for long shots on waterfowl...

The real issue you may have with steel through that barrel is a slight ring bulge at the choke...What happens is the steel can (not always) 'open' the choke a little...

I have and will continue to shoot steel through older shotguns, as long as the choke is Mod or more open...

Steel does not deform the way lead does, so steel inherently patterns tighter...

This all said, I would not hesitate to shoot steel through your 1100...I DO have a pre-war Model 11 with a Mod barrel that I will NOT fire steel through...

If this gun is a family piece or has any sentimental value to you, I would not fire steel...

You can still hunt with it if you want by shooting Kent Tungsten Matrix which is soft like lead, and designed for fine older firearms...

As I stated, this is what 'I' do, and I am not suggesting anyone else do as I do...

YMMV

shortwave
February 14, 2012, 02:39 PM
bd,

I can't answer your question on the steel shot and your bbl.

Are you not allowed to use lead for turkey where you're at?

Also, for Turkey, a big +1 on what Pahoo stated on using a full choke as I doubt you will pattern well enough out of your mod. for them.

I think for turkey hunting your options are:

1. finding an 1100 full choke bbl.

2. if possible, having your existing bbl. cut for chokes. 'If possible' means, depends on if there's enough steel for the gunsmith to cut threads.

3. purchase another shotgun with either a fixed full choke or one with an accu-choke system.

As far as getting your current bbl modified and price, there are a few gunsmith recommended here by some TFL members. I don't recall what thread it was but a search should find them.

If it were me, I'd research all the available avenues then pick the option I liked best....

....course buying a new gun is always the most exciting.;)

baddarryl
February 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. What I am getting is I already have a dedicated Turkey gun in my sights that has a waterfowl combo option and is the combo a waste as I already have this fine 1100 but wonder if it limits me for ducks. Haven't hunted them in 30 years and back then my old 20 GA was fine for a 12 year old!

Virginian
February 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Remington has said any barrel since 1950 is okay for steel, with modified or less choke, and #2 or smaller steel.
I do not shoot steel since tungsten arrived, but I am of the opinion you need a 12 gauge 3" steel load for anything but decoy shooting ducks. And a 10 gauge is preferable for geese or swan.

DutchTexan
February 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use that gun regardless of whether or not the barrel can handle steel.

First, for ducks I use the IC choke 90% of the time. The IC choke with Steel shot patterns more like a Mod choke. Your fixed Mod choke would pattern more like a Full.

Second, I shoot exclusively with 3" shells during big duck season and consider 2.75" shells only suitable for hunting Teal. If you could shoot lead I would be ok with the 2.75" and I guess you could use something like Heavy-shot in 2.75".

You need to weigh the options and decide what you want to do.

Spike238
March 9, 2012, 04:31 PM
I used to hunt with my older 2 3/4 wingmasters but, the biggest problem I found was not the stopping power of the loads. It was finding suitible steel ammo mid to late season. Last year, which was my first year back at waterfowl hunting in several years, I ended up buying 2 older wingmaster magnums because we literally could not find 2 3/4 steel loads by mid season.

AllenJ
March 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
You should not have any problems shooting steel through your gun. And 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz #2 shot going about 1400 fps are excellent large duck killers when hunting over decoys. I've been using that load for the past 10 years and I shoot just as good and just as many birds as my friends who all shoot 3" loads.

Salmoneye
March 9, 2012, 09:04 PM
2 3/4 problem
I used to hunt with my older 2 3/4 wingmasters but, the biggest problem I found was not the stopping power of the loads. It was finding suitible steel ammo mid to late season. Last year, which was my first year back at waterfowl hunting in several years, I ended up buying 2 older wingmaster magnums because we literally could not find 2 3/4 steel loads by mid season.

Then buy what you think you will need for the season, before the season...

Get together with friends and buy bulk...