PDA

View Full Version : New to AR-15 cleaning... question about handguards

btmj
January 8, 2012, 01:59 PM
I just acquired my first AR-15, a Rock River 16" midlength. It has a free float handguard, and therein lies my question.

The weapon came with a copy of US Amy publication TM 9-1005-319-10 "operators manual for M16A2 / A3 / A4 and M4 / M4A1" .

This manual describes removing the handguard for cleaning. It instructs the operator to push down on the slip ring (push toward butt), and open the handguard halves like a clamshell.

My weapon has a free float 1 piece handguard, and I see no slip ring. So my questions are:

(1) am I missing something? Is there actually a slip ring and I am too clueless to see it?

(2) Is it necessary to remove the handguard for routine cleaning?

(3) If it is necessary to remove the handguard, How is this accomplished?

Thanks ........... Jim

emcon5
January 8, 2012, 02:00 PM
Unless you dropped it in the mud, don't worry about cleaning under the hand guard.

oryx
January 8, 2012, 04:58 PM
I think the manuals describing a process for non floated hand guards. Most FF tubes do not split and most don't have a ring that mounts to the front of the barrel by the gas system.

I agree with Econ5 - unless you get into a situation where you know a lot of debris got in there, it is not necessary to remove it. It wouldbe rare that the need for removal would arrive. Most of mine have loc-tite installed so that they don't come loose.

Keep the cleaning focus on the BCG, chamber and barrel and you are good to go. Occasionally, take some compressed air and blow out the lower and trigger group.

Palmetto-Pride
January 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
The operator's manual is clearly referring to standard issue hand guards that come on M4 / M16s.

http://tigertacticalairsoft.com/images/Echo%20M4%20HG.jpg

RC20
January 8, 2012, 10:19 PM
I told RRA they were grossly deficient in their pretty much useless manual when I got my gun from them. They acknowledged it and said it had been kicked upstairs (which means nothing is happening). I got an AR book to get in depth familiar with all the details.

As stated, its an M16/M4 military manual and its more a pocket reference than anything worth a hoot (suspect that they get the full hands on and demo in training so you just need to trigger the memory).

The manual I got with my XCR was very well done, good pictures, good detail and very clear.

And as stated, usually not someplace you have to worry about.

btmj
January 8, 2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks !

I intentionally bought a weapon with a free-float handguard, but I was perplexed by the US Army manual which said to remove the handguard as a first step is field stripping the weapon. Thanks for the clarification.

RC20: Yeah, I was a bit suprised that the only documentation that came with the weapon was a DOD publication. I thought perhaps it was an "AR thing"... but you have confirmed that it is more of a "Rock River thing"...

In any case, the internet and youtube have been very helpful (after I sort through the 50% of which is crap).

The documentation may be lacking, but the Rock River rifle is really nicely put together. I compared a lot of different ARs before I selected the Rock River. Can't wait to shoot it.

Technosavant
January 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
ARs are one of those things that has so much decent info out there that many makers may not think it's worth putting together their own publication.The DOD manual isn't bad, but it just doesn't cover the variety of configurations found in the civilian market.

As has been pointed out, the slip ring (aka delta ring) and so on is only found on rifles with traditional handguards. A one piece free float handguard typically uses a proprietary barrel nut instead of the regular one (with its associated parts). The handguard then bolts directly to that barrel nut (or is threaded on, depending on type.

Generally, there's zero reason to ever remove your handguard for cleaning unless you've been in really sloppy and filthy conditions (resulting in mud getting up under there).