PDA

View Full Version : I can't find any Pentax binos "on the shelf".

Major Dave (retired)
October 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
After reading about the Pentax DCF BC 9X32 binos in an Outdoor Life magazine review of 2011 optics, I feel like I might like to buy a pair.

But, after contacting Pentax by phone, I am told that they are not available at any retail outlet - have to be purchased on line.

I don't know if I want to plunk down $299 of my hard earned money "sight unseen".

Has anyone on this forum seen and/or used these binos? If so, how do you like them?

Of course, some like Chevies, while others like Fords, so I might not like what you like. Still, I would appreciate some opinions.

JoeDorn
October 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
I personally do not trust any 'topic' magazine review since they depend on advertising dollars from the items they 'test'. That's just me, after reading about a thousand or more camera reviews, none of which said this is a pile of cra... errr... junk....

for binoculars, I have used Eagle Optics and the company is highly regarded by the birding community, perhaps some of the most critical 'glass' users out there.

I was on the web site this afternoon just checking things out... I have had a Eagle Ranger 10x50 (my wife uses an 8x42 Ranger) for several years and have been very pleased with them. These were not our first rodeo in that arena.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-ranger-10x50-binocular

They carry all of the good brands and are happy to discuss your options.

They also have a 30 day return policy for purchases...

BTW, we have over two hundred acres in wildlife management so the binoc's are used daily and live in a Honda Big Red MUV (side by side ATV) along with my coyote eliminators.

jisco
October 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hello,
FWIW, I have a pentax scope, which I love.
That said, I know that at one time burris made scopes for pentax.
My pentax scope was made by Burris so you might want to check the burris binoc's. out.
Might be the same deal. Good luck!

jisco

Major Dave (retired)
November 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
Yosemite 6X30 binos for 2 reasons.

First, I went to several internet sites which had bino reviews, especially "birding" sites. One guy had almost a fetish for binos, owned many pairs, and spoke highly of the Leopold Yosemite.

Secondly, they were only $100, compared to the $300 Pentax pair.

Third, I had $100 of Cabela's Club points on my VISA card, so I cashed in the points (valued $1 per point), and got the Yosemites "free", so to speak.

They arrived a few days ago, and I am impressed.

The Yosemites are only 6X, whereas the Pentax was 9X. Since my primary use for these binos is for still hunting (sneaking and peeking) in close cover,(East TX Piney Woods), the 6X has a much wider field of view and, IMHO are better than the 9X for this particular application/use.

Also, 6X30 gives me an exit pupil of 5 mm, compared to 3.5 mm with the 9X32 Pentax. Better for low light situations.

Further, 6X does not appear to be "shaky" compared to 9X. You can hold 6X steady, while 9X appears to be unsteady.

SO, I'm a happy camper - for now. Until I actually get out in the woods and hunt with them. I am particularly concerned about how well the focal depth can be used to bring things in focus at various distances. For example, I want to be able to focus on things at 30 yards, trying to find the tip of an antler, a glossy black eye or nose, or an ear, then change focus to cover 5 or 10 yards further out to repeat the search, et. cetera. It amazes me how deer are hidden in plain sight until you focus in on them! If these binos pass that test, then, we'll see if I really am a happy camper.

Where I was reading that one "bino nut" (he owned about 100 pairs - and was still buying, and reviewing them) someone posted the comment that they didn't see how they could be priced at only $100. Thought they were comparable to $300 glass in the Leupold line. The self-styled expert claimed that the Yosemite line was made in China, vs. the $300 glass made in Japan, and the Chinese currency (Juan) was fewer US$ than the Japanese Yen, thus making the Japanese models more expensive on the basis of currency exchange rate differential alone.

Also, according to this bino guru, the roof prism design of the $300 glass was inherently more diffucult, and therefore more expensive to build than the Porro prism design of the $100 glass. In short, $100 glass, if made in China, using porro prism design is equal to $300 glass made in Japan, using roof prism design.

Believe it, or NOT? :confused:

Your opinion?