PDA

View Full Version : 28 Gauge, Single Shot Shotgun

Two Flints
October 17, 2011, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I know my choices are very limited, but I am in the market for a 28 Gauge, single shot shotgun. PLEASE, no suggestions to consider other gauges. I am also aware that 28 gauge shells cost more, but it would only see limited use during the Skunk and Raccoon season.

What is available and in consideration of a 28 gauge shotgun would someone comment on the H&R Pardner Model as to what to expect in terms of quality and "shootability".

Thanks again in advance for your comments.

Two Flints

Dave McC
October 17, 2011, 09:13 AM
H&R single shots are a LOT of gun for the money.

And a 28 gauge H&R sounds like a perfect "Garden Gun", expensive shells or not.

I've seen a few worn out H&Rs, but it seems to take a few decades.

Enjoy....

BigJimP
October 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
Dave likes the H&R more than I do ...

but just so you're aware, in case you didn't know - Brownings BPS Hunter model ( a pump gun ) is still available in 28ga in a 26" or 28" barrel new for around $ 600. I know its more money than the H&R ...but its way more gun as well and its flexible because it has screw in changeable chokes...so it can be a "garden gun", a field gun, etc. You might even find a used one if you look hard...

There are also some used guns around ...with fixed chokes / like the Rem 11-87 in 28ga which is a semi-auto / or even some of the older guns like the bolt action Westernfield - sold thru Montgomery wards ( that was made by Savage, or any number of companies for them ) ...( I have one in 16ga / but I'm pretty sure they made them in 28ga and .410, etc as well). You'll have to search gun broker or some of the used gunshops in your area ...but the search is part of the fun when you want something like this.

Dave McC
October 17, 2011, 12:39 PM
Jim, the OP asked for a single shot shotgun. Otherwise I would have brought up a lot of repeaters, including a couple you cite.

I do like the H&R, though. It's the minimalist shotgun. And it's capable of good service for a half century or so.

Two Flints,"shootability" is a relative term. A 5 lb single like the H&R/NEF will kick a bit in 28 gauge, but most folks should find it non punishing.

The usual shot load for the 28 is 3/4 oz. Stick to that and you'll be fine.

BigJimP
October 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Sure, I agree ...and understand ...but sometimes guys make assumptions about what it out there ...or isn't out there ...

Maybe to be more helpful --- I should have asked - what is the budget for this gun Two Flints...

Dave McC
October 18, 2011, 01:30 PM
Remington made some 28 gauge Expresses with fixed Mod choke and a 25" barrel. Handled very well, and came in under 6 lbs.

Were I going for a 28 gauge, I'd have to look at those, even though flinging those expensive hulls hither and yon makes me cringe a little.

That Browning is sweet. So is the Sporting 1100 in 28 gauge, the old 11-48, and Franchi's Al 48 in that gauge has lots of happy owners. Ithaca's new 37 in the little gauge also will deserve a look.

But, Two Flints wants a single. The only one I know of commonly available is the H&R/NEF.

hogdogs
October 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Is there any particular "old model" commonly coming in the used gun door at local shops? I have no clue... just sayin'... I would rather an old gun in serviceable condition if near same price as an NEF... ie: the $100 SXS;)
Brent

olddrum1
October 18, 2011, 04:08 PM
Has anyone actually seen or found one of these 28 gauage toppers?

Dave McC
October 18, 2011, 09:51 PM
Yes, but not recently.

TxGun
October 18, 2011, 10:51 PM
FWIW, Bud's shows the 28 ga. H&R to be currently in stock:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/350/products_id/55065

mtnbkr
October 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
If you already have an H&R in 12g or can get one cheap, you can send it back to the factory and have a 28g barrel fit.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

The barrels are inexpensive, but you have to ship the gun back to them. It makes sense to get multiple barrels at that point. You can also get a 44mag or 357mag barrel fit to the SB1 (shotgun) frame.

I have a 12g model and will be sending it back at some point for a few barrels including the 44mag rifle barrel.

Chris

Bob9125
February 2, 2012, 08:20 PM
I recently bought a H&R Pardner 28 gauge from Bud's. Hope to test it out soon.

oneounceload
February 2, 2012, 10:59 PM
Addressing the ammo side of the question - you can get everything from simple #9 or #8 target loads in 3/4oz, on up to 7/8, possibly even a decent 1oz loading inn #5 or 6 for pheasant.

For minor use, the $15/box price for the phez loads is reasonable and a better alternative to the anemic 410 offerings

publius
February 2, 2012, 11:01 PM
The H&R is a great shotgun. They are very well made and you'd have to run over it with a bulldozer to kill it.

johnbt
February 3, 2012, 10:45 AM
"Is there any particular "old model" commonly coming in the used gun door at local shops? "

I haven't seen a used single shot 28 ga. in a gun store during the past 50 years or I'd own one. I'm still looking. I won't buy a new one since I have a .410 Win Model 37 and a 28 ga. O/U.

hogdogs
February 3, 2012, 10:52 AM
The H&R/NEF singles are tuff guns... and even when abused... take a lot before failure.

One I often used as a kid belonged to a farmer. He dropped it out of a tractor cab at the work yard and broke off the hammer horn flush with the receiver so he drilled and tapped it to take a hard machine screw about an inch long and held fast with loc-tite.

Barrel had an obvious warp to it too but after just a few rounds, the kentucky windage could be doped into the equation.

Brent

zippy13
February 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
I was going to suggest using a sub-gauge tube in a 12-ga single shot, but H&R's spare barrels are so cheap that seems like a good way to go. Thanks for the heads-up, mtnbkr.

mpd61
February 5, 2012, 05:12 PM
I remember as a kid growing up in the seventies We all had single .16's, and .12's and such. One of our group had an old H&R .28 and we all used to laugh and pick on him about it. Funny thing was though, every squirrel, crow, or blue jay he shot fell as dead as the ones we hit!
:)