PDA

View Full Version : Africa Hunting

bullethole1
July 27, 2011, 03:57 PM
Has anybody ever been to Africa to go hunt lion(not mountain lion)?

or say rhinos or elephants. Im curious to see what kind of guns you would recommend to take down an elephant or rhino! :eek:

Bigfatts
July 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Accuratereloading has lots of this type of info.

Some suitable stopping rifles/calibers:
http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/

From what I've seen the .458WM and Lott are still popular, as is the .375 H&H, 470 Nitro, etc. I'd love to make it to Africa and take a Cape Buffalo and some Warthogs, babboons, crocs, impala, etc. Some day maybe.

bullethole1
July 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
those baboons are real aggressive and extemly dangerous from what I heard,you better not miss! :eek:

Cowboy_mo
July 27, 2011, 07:59 PM
I was fortunate enough to go to South Africa last year for a plains game hunt.

The big 5 animals you mentioned (rhino, cape buffalo, and elephant) require a 375 H&H as the minimum caliber allowed.

For plains game (someone mentioned impala, warthog, and a few others) a .30-06 or 270 win work just great.

Not sure about the lion but a friend of mine has taken leopards with a 270 win. The main thing is to use good bullets that will expand and stay together.

The most important thing is to use a caliber you can shoot accurately. My guide told a story about a client who brought his 300 weatherby magnum for plains game hunting. After the client missed several animals, the guide gave him a .30-06 to use and the client then successfully harvested several animals.:D

Art Eatman
July 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
H&Hhunter over at THR's Hunting forum has made numerous trips to Africa. Often enough that he's welcome in elephant culls. Buffalo and plains game as well. He uses a .470 Rigby double, a .404 Jeffrey bolt and a .375H&H bolt gun.

A couple of worthwhile stickies there, as well as several useful threads with his commentaries.

Outlaw81
July 28, 2011, 05:15 AM
Take a .375 h&h. It'll be ur saviour.

phil mcwilliam
July 28, 2011, 07:38 AM
As others have said, the .375 H&H Magnum is considered the minimum caliber for dangerous game in a number of African countries. Whilst the .375 is considered minimum by law, it also has a solid following & is more than adequate for dangerous game with well placed shots. The guide I used in Africa hunted elephant with a .416 Rigby. I noticed the CZ bolt action is a popular rifle amoung professional hunters in Africa, probably because it is effective & well priced.
Hunting dangerous game in Africa is not a cheap sport & is sometimes pursued by societys elite. There are several gunmanufacturers that produce side by side double express rifles in large calibers catering to this exclusive group of hunters from .375 to .600.
On a recent plains game hunt in Zimbabwe, I met an English gentleman that had just shot a cape buffalo with a borrowed .375 H&H. He explained to me that he had been fitted for his own Holland & Holland Express rifle, but it wouldn't be ready until his lion hunt of next year. I decided to check the prices when I got home, because I thought I had misheard him. Holland & Holland double s/s express rifles sell for around $130,000. Beretta even put out a s/s double express rifle for over $110,000. I guess thats why the CZ Safari bolt action (available in a variety of large calibers- upto .505) at around $1,500 is popular as a dangerous game rifle.

Rifleman1776
July 28, 2011, 07:43 AM
I watch the African big game hunts on TV and have become disillusioned with what is called a "hunt". What they do is drive on a well worn trail until a herd of the desired game is spotted. Get out, walk about 50 yards, set up a tripod rest for the so-called 'hunter' and he shoots an animal. For a similar challenge I could shoot cows in a pasture. Elephants are often shot from a range of under 25 yards. Still, a big gun is required. It looks like .416 is very popular.

Tombstonejim
July 28, 2011, 08:33 AM
My experience in Kenya and Tanzania is that the lions or so used to people and tourist that you could kill em with a stick. Every time we stopped our land rover they ran and got under it to get in the shade.

mete
July 28, 2011, 10:04 AM
Africa is a big place .There are real hunts and 'canned' hunts , take your pick.
375H&H is just about 100 years old [1912] a fine cartridge for anything and even better with modern premium bullets.If you need more go to 416 Rigby or 458 Win. www.accuratereloading.com is an excellent source.

40caljustice
July 29, 2011, 04:23 AM
I watch the African big game hunts on TV and have become disillusioned with what is called a "hunt". What they do is drive on a well worn trail until a herd of the desired game is spotted. Get out, walk about 50 yards, set up a tripod rest for the so-called 'hunter' and he shoots an animal. For a similar challenge I could shoot cows in a pasture. Elephants are often shot from a range of under 25 yards. Still, a big gun is required. It looks like .416 is very popular.

Yep. The ones I've seen had about 5-6 "scouts" walking through the woods with radios relaying the location of the animal. They jump out the truck and shoot the animal.
Maybe this is what's needed in Africa because its so big and vast. Its also a TV show so its gotta pay off.

Either way, I wanna go to Africa and bow hunt the Big 5. That would be exciting.

Art Eatman
July 29, 2011, 08:26 AM
Best not to confuse what TV shows as hunting with what hunters actually do when on their own.

oneounceload
July 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
I have 2 friends who have made numerous trips to Africa. On their trips for large game like buffalo and elephant, they have told me they use either a 458 or one of the 416's

SurplusShooter
July 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
Peter Hathaway Capstick talked highly about the 375H&H in many of his books.

Thump
July 29, 2011, 11:53 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t279/Citroen2CV/Bill%20Photos/AFRICA-AUG2008082-1-1.jpg

A .460 Weatherby is not necessarily the best choice. :) I used a 45/70 with Garrett 540 grain Hammerhead ammunition. Hippo, Cape Buffalo, Eland, and Kudu. We had to go recover my Cape Buffalo from chest high saw-grass. Having a lever action that I could hit with rapidly was a comfort.

JACK308
July 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
I was alway wondering about this you kill a HIPPO how do you get it back to camp? With it being so heavy I can understand cutting the meat and packing it out buy what about the carcus? you would need a small crane to get it out right.

Thump
July 30, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hippos are ruminants, and they bloat once dead - enough so that they become slightly buoyant. I shot mine in a tidal river in Mozambique. Approximately 40 yards out, he bobbed the top of his head for a breath about every 30-45 seconds. Shot between the ear and his eye, he went straight down. Approx. an hour later the body gasses began to take over and the locals in dugout canoes were able to locate him. With the incoming tide up the river, three canoes with nine paddlers in each, towed him to our hunt camp. There my guide hooked a "Range Rover" cable around his neck and slid him up a muddy ramp the native locals had dug in the bank of the river.
He was 12'+ in length and estimated at ~7,500-8,00#. After my photo session the locals carved him up and consumed everything but the teeth and toenails... Nothing is wasted in Africa.

JACK308
July 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
Is it true that after you kill an animal in Africa the natives get the meat?

lt dan
July 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
Best not to confuse what TV shows as hunting with what hunters actually do when on their own.

AMEN!! i have seen these shows on ESPN, and it is just that: Shows.

mete
July 30, 2011, 07:34 PM
Protein is hard to come by for the locals so yes the meat is given to them.I wish this information wa s made more widely available as so many of the anti crowd think the meat is wasted. There was one hunting program illustrating what happens after the animal is taken. The elephant was killed , then the natives were notified . They came in a large group and worked through the night butchering the animal. This was filmed by time lapse photography and was fascinating to see !

slammedsi
July 30, 2011, 07:43 PM
Vincent Lupo took on the African "Big-6" with a 45/70 with great results.

lion
rhino
elephant
leopard
cape buffalo
hippo

Sea Buck
August 10, 2011, 08:39 AM
Many years ago I was in Kenya on a Photo Safari in Tsavo. Hunting was not allowed except for cull.Poachers were executed.The lions were wild and dangerous as was all of the game we saw. We came upon a Buffalo sanding in the road one day,the driver rolled down his window,waved, shouted and beeped the horn of the Land Rover. He charged! Head down and slammed into the radiator/bumper. Like getting hit by a train! Wip lash,bumped heads all around, and a dead 'Rover. The Buff just walked away, wagging his tail!! He won the challange!!