PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 won't extract

Rapidrob
July 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
My Ruger #1 in .223 will not extract the fired cartridge. The extractor kicks as it should but moves out of the extractor groove and slides past the casing leaving it in the chamber.
The extractor has to be able to move to the side as it closes onto the loaded round. It does this with no problem. It then locks into the groove and the block is closed.
The rifle is as new with less than 200 rounds through it. It's not the chamber or the spring. The casing can be pushed out of the chamber with a cleaning rod using no effort at all. Gravity would probably work if the case had more weight.
Any ideas as to how to repair this problem?

dahermit
July 17, 2011, 11:25 PM
I would consult with Ruger. They will surely fix it for free.

mete
July 18, 2011, 09:08 AM
Probably a bad extractor where the hook is not shaped properly.

James K
July 18, 2011, 06:20 PM
It sounds like a problem with the ejector spring or plunger that force the ejector sideways into the extractor groove of the case. I think a chipped or broken ejector would be pretty obvious. Did you buy the rifle new or was it used? If the latter, a previous owner could have worked on the ejector or even lost some parts.

Jim

Peter M. Eick
July 23, 2011, 04:00 PM
Sounds like someone cranked the ejection spring tension way down. Read your manual and it explains how to adjust the spring so it will extract but not eject the case. Do the opposite if you want the brass to fly out.

I cranked mine way down so it just barely kicks it back. I want it so I can grab my brass without hitting the scope bell with my hand.

T. O'Heir
July 24, 2011, 04:27 AM
"...but moves out of the extractor groove..." A Ruger No. 1 doesn't have a separate extractor. It has 9 ejector parts, two of which are springs. One or more of those parts are broken. http://stevespages.com/ipb-ruger-number1.html
The manual is here. http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_no1.pdf

Rapidrob
July 31, 2011, 05:23 PM
I stripped the action all of the way down and removed the extractor. There are no broken parts. The spring feels weak to me. I don't think it can keep the edge of the extractor in the groove of the case.