PDA

View Full Version : 1898 Springfield Krag Worth?

Tin Soldier
June 19, 2011, 08:18 AM
Hello. I am new to the Line. I am frequently on the 1911 and PAFOA Forums.
But this looks like the place to ask questions.

I just bought a Springfield Krag 1898 at an auction. It looks to be a carbine model, made in 1899. Missing the top wood handguard. The bore is excellent, the bolt is nice and tight. No cracks or repairs to the stock. Everything looks to be original. I would like to know what the value would fall under?

And, how could I get that top wooden handguard?

Pics attached.

Thanks

Andy

Tin Soldier
June 19, 2011, 08:21 AM
Two more views of the Krag.

kraigwy
June 19, 2011, 08:24 AM
That's a good looking rifle. I've seen them for abut $400, but I would go as high and $600 for a good one (your's looks good).

I really don't know much about the Krags except I want one for my Vintage US Military Rifle Collection.

To get a better answer to your question go to this CMP forum on Bolt Action Rifles and ask these guys, they wont stir you wrong.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Tin Soldier
June 19, 2011, 09:12 AM
I wish that you lived closer. You could have it for $500.
I am getting frustrated finding the correct info and finding a handguard
looks like it will be very hard.

Thanks for the info.

Jim Watson
June 19, 2011, 10:17 AM
You probably have what is known as an NRA Carbine.
As I understand it - I am not a collector or historian, just a reader of gun literature...
When the old DCM was selling off surplus Krags through the NRA in the 1920s, the carbines were more popular because they were a handier hunting rifle. Sporterizing of surplus rifles was not common in those days, you used what you could get.
So when the inventory of carbines was about gone but they had plenty of rifles left, Benicia Arsenal cut down many rifles to carbine configuration to promote sales.

The 1903 front sight is the giveaway. Some of them had rifle stocks cut down to carbine and the plugged cleaning rod hole in the foreend can be seen, but others used spare carbine stocks on hand.

It could, of course, be a commercial gunsmith alteration with the same approach. I don't know how to tell the difference.

I assume the handguard was discarded to save a few more ounces.

I don't know why you had trouble finding a handguarnd. Boyds makes them and there is a seller on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Krag-upper-handguard-/250811282221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6584732d

James K
June 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
Another possible handguard source is www.ssfirearms.com.

That is not a carbine stock unless it has been worked over, as carbine stocks had no sling swivels (they had sling rings and slides).

There just isn't any way to tell the difference between the NRA carbines that Jim mentioned and a local gunsmith job, except that the arsenal work is generally better.

I hope that you got that gun at a price lower than either a genuine carbine or a rifle would bring, as it is a shooter. An original 1898 Carbine in that condition would probably bring at least $1500. One like new would go around $5000. 1898 rifle prices would be $800 and $3000, respectively.

Jim

Tin Soldier
June 19, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I paid $300.
I'll have to see how she shoots.

radom
June 20, 2011, 03:50 AM
Heck of a deal there for 300. I sure would have sprung that for that gun,not a issue idea but still a correct version.

James K
June 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
You did OK for $300. I have seen folks pay well over a grand for the same kind of "carbine" at gun shows and auctions, thinking they were getting an original carbine.

Jim

kilimanjaro
July 5, 2011, 11:42 PM
The sling mounts and front sight is a giveaway on these. There are 100 cut-down rifles for every genuine carbine, and I've not seen a single dealer admit to it, either, except one, who said 'this has a rifle sight on it', which to him apparently passed for honest disclosure.

$300 is still a good price for a good antique. The action is slick and fast on the Krag, nothing wrong with it. The troops liked the idea of being able to 'top up' the magazine without removing it or opening the bolt.

Horticattleman
July 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
Cutdowns go for about $4-500. Expect to pay 150-200 for the correct handguard.

Chris_B
July 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
Should shoot pretty good. Cut down or not it's still a Krag