PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Browning

Marc S.
June 12, 2011, 12:18 AM
I am new at this & appreciate your patience. I am a Colt collector, but recently purchased a pistol that surprised me by being here in central Pennsylvania. It is a Fabrique Nationale D'Armmes Deguerre, Herstal, Belgique marked 9mm Hi- Power... but that's not what got my attention. Nor was it the fact that the factory box & 2 mags are still with it. No, it was the serial number: 088. I would REALLY appreciate any info that can be provided, such as year of manufacture and, perhaps, a translation of the stamps? A small lion on a line over a capitalized PV, a crowned oval with the letters E over LG, and a five pointed star over an R Thank you all, in advance.

dogtown tom
June 12, 2011, 12:28 AM
Please post photos

gyvel
June 12, 2011, 07:41 AM
You're not referring to a "Hi-Power 88" that was imported by Howco Distributors back in the 80's are you??

jonnyc
June 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
Older pistols have had lots of time to roam, no telling where they can get to. Pics would really help to nail down the age of your early BHP.

Jim Watson
June 12, 2011, 08:18 AM
A small lion on a line over a capitalized PV,
Belgian nitro proof mark, used since 1903.

a crowned oval with the letters E over LG,
Belgian definitive proof mark, used since 1893.

and a five pointed star over an R
Belgian inspector's mark, used by Wagemans Sylvain 1951-1965 but maybe by others since then.

You get the idea, these are Belgian proof marks seen on all guns made there for a long time and no real help in describing your no 088. As said, show pictures.

Marc S.
June 12, 2011, 09:43 AM
As far as photography, I'm still a dinosaur in that I do not have a digital camera. I will try to get pics posted of the serial number 088 Browning as soon as possible. The resemblance to "modern" Hi Powers is obvious, from the heavy rowel hammer to the stepped slide. The sights are fixed, and (to be kind) small, similar to early Colt 1911s, though the front sight is angled with slight serations and deep red paint. The rear is low with a very narrow notch. Bluing was once beautiful, but the Old Girl is showing her age - lots of holster wear polishing the exposed metal to silver. At some point the grips have been replaced, but I've a line on an appropriate set. Thank you for your help.

jonnyc
June 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
1. Internal extractor?
2. Thumb dent to push out slide release?
3. Round or oval barrel lug?

James K
June 12, 2011, 03:25 PM
While a serial number of 088 is low, it might not be unique. The serial numbering on all FN pistols is confusing because they would number guns to anything a customer, especially an army or other large customer, wanted. So if Lower Slobovia ordered 500 pistols and wanted them numbered 1-500, FN would oblige. If Blotsylvania ordered 50 pistols and wanted them numbered 251-300, FN would be happy to comply.

The fact is that to factories (up to recent years) serial numbers meant nothing and often records were not even kept. For military factories especially, serial numbers were considered a means of inventory control at the using unit, not anything a factory needed to worry about.

Jim

Marc S.
June 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
The 088 Browning has a round barrel "ring", a thumb detent for disassembly & an internal extractor. There is no pinhole through the slide in the grasping grooves thought there is the angled, oval plug. On the bottom of the grip frame, just behind the mag well, in incredibly small letters, is: FN35 then WAN with a symbol of some kind, then a U over a P. See why I collect Colts? :-)

gyvel
June 13, 2011, 05:49 AM
Could that "WAN" actually be "WaA" with a number and a very small eagle and swastika??? Also, is "088" followed by any letter, written in lower case cursive?

Marc S.
June 13, 2011, 11:33 PM
The numbers 088 are the only markings on the right side of the slide & frame, no writing of any kind except the caliber designation on the barrel hood visible in the ejection port. As for the markings on the bottom of the grip frame behind the mag well, they as small or smaller than newsprint in a classified ad. There does not appear to be a swastika or reichsadler anywhere, but I will have my son look (he doesn't need bifocals) when we get together. Thank you for answering.

Marc S.
June 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
I would like to thank everyone, again, for your interest & help with my Belgian made Browning Hi-Power, serial number 088. I've connected with a gent here who's a Browning fan & he has purchased it. I've enjoyed being here & will be around.... But with a less complicated situation, hopefully.