PDA

View Full Version : Curious 1911 Slide

Roshi
December 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have a Colt Government Model shipped from the factory in march 1913. The slide doesn't match the frame in that the slide is the next later style with the 1913 patent dates that came out later that year. The slide has two marks on the inside that I've not seen on others. One is an arrow and the other is the letter "c".

Any one know about these markings?:confused:

James K
December 23, 2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know the meaning of the marks, if in fact that "V" is a deliberate mark and not accidental.

I am not sure how much trust can be put in the Colt records (I presume you have a Colt letter, sales slip or some other evidence for the March date). Among other things they always don't indicate if a gun was returned to the factory for some reason, when an updated part would have been installed. Clawson says the 1913 date was added between c. C6800 and c. C7800, so your serial number might be a clue.

Jim

Slamfire
December 23, 2010, 03:54 PM
If it were not so small, I would say the broadarrow is a british marking. But I have never seen a broadarrow hidden and so small.

Roshi
December 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
The arrow is formed by two distinct stamps. One a V and the other a line.

The serial number is C2XXX

My theory has been that the early slides were sometimes soft and warped and this pistol went back to the factory post 1913 for a new slide. However I don't believe Colt repair records still exist if they ever did.

Slamfire
December 23, 2010, 08:54 PM
The arrow is formed by two distinct stamps. One a V and the other a line.

Well maybe this is a rorschach ink spot test, but it sure looks like a British Broad arrow mark.

James K
December 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
I think the "returned to factory" is as good a thought as any. I realize that means the pistol is not "original", but there is no help for that. Even if you were able to locate a "correct" slide, it would not be original, either.

Jim