PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock ammo holder problem

Lee-Enfield
December 12, 2010, 01:57 AM
I bought a relatively inexpensive buttstock ammo holder for my Marlin 336. It's a very simple one-size-fits-all design that stretches on. Fits nicely and holds 9 30-30 cartridges nice an tight (I like it because it has a decent capacity). The problem is it covers the sling bolt.

It's too long to simply slide forward, so I was thinking of taking the rear sling mount off and refastening it on top of the ammo holder (I guess this is a bolt I can unscrew). I think if I cut a hole the elasticated material it could tear. :confused:

I dunno, stupid issue, but perhaps someone has a good idea before I ditch it for a shorter ammo holder with less capacity. Thanks~~

Lee-Enfield
December 12, 2010, 02:00 AM
Here's another pic :)

Ridge_Runner_5
December 12, 2010, 02:04 AM
I'd go ahead and cut a small hole. If you are concerned about it tearing, you could always just run a reinforcement stitch around the cut you make.

Lee-Enfield
December 12, 2010, 02:28 AM
Yeah I ended up giving it a go, but instead of cutting a hole I melted one with a red-hot pin to help avoid it freying. I made the hole just big enough for the bolt to go through, so the ammo holder is somewhat captured, which stops it slipping around. :) All good, cheers~~

Kreyzhorse
December 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
I had the same issue and cut a small hole. I figured it would eventually create a much larger hole but it's held perfectly the past 5 years or so.

Snakedriver
December 12, 2010, 09:01 AM
Damn fine idea of using a hot bolt to melt the hole where you want it! I've always just made a small cut in the right place for the sling stud to poke through without any problems with freying, but you will definitely be good to go now. Good work!!! :cool:

langloisandy
December 12, 2010, 10:50 AM
Howdy,

I make leather ones, you do what I recommend, a small hole for the stud. If needed, glue a small leather washer to that hole to make it sturdier...you will get a bit of stretch for that area.

Regards,

Andy
www.andysleather.com (Cuff sale in the holiday section!)