PDA

View Full Version : wingmaster

hudson056
September 28, 2010, 09:56 PM
just bought an older 870 wingmaster magnum 20ga with a serial number ending in N. Found out the standard slug barrel wont fit on it (got it in the mail today and it wont fit)...and having trouble finding one that will, any suggestions...deffinately want a smooth bore with rifled sights

zippy13
September 28, 2010, 11:09 PM
Greetings, hudson056, and welcome aboard,

Wingmaster 20-ga actions come in several size/length combinations -- obviously you have a mis-match. The letter serial number suffix is the gauge designation. Your "N" means you have the discontinued 20-ga Heavy Magnum frame. The barrel you have is for a contemporary "K" Light Weight or "U" LW Mag frame. At one time, the Remington barrel selection guide explained all this. Since it seemed to lead to more confusion than clarification, the revised barrel selection table (http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/support/parts-information/remington-original-factory-barrels-tables.aspx) makes no reference to the old heavy frame. Good luck finding an older barrel, have you checked the Barrel Exchange (http://www.barrelexchange.com/)? They have a few listed.

hudson056
October 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
Seems like kind of a pain in the butt, I dont think this particular gun is really valuable and I think I over paid for it..(Remington said it was made in '72 paid $400).. So Im actually really frustrated right now.. Plus I actually bought it for my son, so I think Im gonna trade it in on a newer 1100 and hopefully have a little better luck on buying a slug barrel.

zippy13
October 4, 2010, 12:38 PM
Been there, done that… navigating the mire of parts interchangeability in older guns can be very frustrating. Good luck with the R-1100.

dropthehammer
October 4, 2010, 02:20 PM
A factory Remington slug barrel for a large frame 870 20ga can be pretty hard to find and pricey as well. Not sure if Remington made a slug barrel with a 3" chamber for the large frame 20 or not. If you decide to keep the 870, PM me. I have a slug barrel I would consider selling, plus some other barrels as well.