PDA

View Full Version : Accurize a BAR 30.06

ts_hunter
September 14, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have a '69 Browning BAR Safari in 30.06. It has a mid-grade Bushnell scope on it, with tall scope rings so you can see the iron sights. This is the way I got the rifle about 5 yrs ago. I have killed several deer with it, but am not very confident beyond 150yrds. What can I do to improve accuracy? Would lower scope rings help?

the rifleer
September 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Well if its you that isnt accurate after 150, then practice is the only thing that is going to make it more accurate. It its the rifle that is not producing satisfactory accuracy then that is a different story...

teumessian_fox
September 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
Lower scope rings would enable you to get a better/more secure cheek weld to the stock. I had a 740 Remington (also semi auto) w/see through scope mount. To use the scope you have to elevate your head somewhat which doesn't allow me to have a secure sight picture.

If it were me, I'd get scope rings as low as the gun/scope would allow since 1) that allows you to really lock your cheek onto the stock and 2) that also puts you closer to the sight plane for the bullet's trajectory. If your head is way above the bullet's trajectory then there's more margin of error.

After that, I'd experiment with various brands of ammo. Different guns like different ammo. Buy a few boxes of different brands/bullet weights, etc. Some rifles like lighter bullets. Some like heavier.

The Browning is an excellent rifle. If it's not shooting well much past 150 yards, then you have work to do.

Slopemeno
September 15, 2010, 12:01 AM
I'd say:
1. Lower/lowest rings for a good cheek weld
2. Better glass
3. Handload
4. Accept the rifle's limitations

Rob228
September 15, 2010, 12:41 AM
What types of groups are you getting with it? What ranges have you tried shots at?

Dr. Strangelove
September 15, 2010, 01:27 AM
A few thoughts and a few questions, none meant as insulting, so gloss over whatever you have already done/know...

How often do you shoot the rifle? If you shoot two boxes of ammo a year, one right before deer season, and one plinking the rest of the year, you're not going to know your accuracy potential or that of the rifle.

What condition is the rifle in? It's 41 years old, you've owned it for 5 years, do you know the history? Maybe take in it to a gunsmith and make sure everything is up to spec. Is this a shot out deer camp beater, or something you can really make shine?

Scope and mounts? Old, worn out scopes can wander and improperly mounted or cheap rings can kill accuracy. I agree that lower mounts are better, but I do use some rifles with "see-through" rings, and they aren't the "kiss of death" some believe them to be if you buy quality rings. I'm not going to debate why, if you want see-through, use them, it's up to you.

Practice at the maximum range you intend to shoot -if you want to hunt at 300yds, then shoot 300 yds at the range.

What do you define as accurate? One hole groups at 300yds from a 41 year old BAR isn't realistic. Where are you now at 100yds? If you're getting 2"-3" groups, that's considered acceptable for hunting. You don't have to settle for that, but it works. If you can put five shots into a 12" circle at 300yds, you're not only doing well, but better than most deer hunters.

Here's what I would do in, in order of importance:

1.) Dismount scope and rings, if it's a cheaper, older scope, get a new one. Get new rings, and mount them correctly with removable loctite. Don't skimp and buy cheap rings. (Most problems will be solved right here)

2.) Check the overall condition of the rifle. Take it all the way down and aggressively clean the action and barrel. Make sure all parts mate correctly, replace springs if needed.

3.) Buy/load a selection of appropriate ammo for whatever you intend to hunt. Accept that some loads just won't work well in your rifle, that's just the way it is. Find the load that is most accurate and...

4.) Practice, Practice, Practice